Moderator Cleaning

Strippable mods does not really need any more cleaning than does a non strippable like the T8. The T8’s will actually need slightly more maintenance than the A-Tec, as the black steel in the T8 will rust severely if left wet inside after a few rounds through it. Alu mods will also corrode, but will not grow a hard substance from corrosion like black steel. You’ll maybe find that alu mods gives off a little white dust if left wet inside. This powdery substance can easily be blown out prior to next shooting session.

To avoid corrosion you should at a minimum let the mod dry. Over night on a heater radiator will do the trick. If you’re planning on storing the mod for a longer period I think you should disassemble it before the internals dry up and simply wipe off carbon dust (kept in suspension by the moisture). If you apply a thin coat of oil after this cleaning you should be fine.

The A-Tec mod I use on my stalking rifle (6,5x55/18” barrel) has now seen close to 600 rounds without cleaning. Except for a grayish coat of fouling it looks almost like new. I try to keep the mod off my gun when stored and it works to keep it from corroding. I can’t find any fouling that has built up inside the outer tube that might prevent me from getting the baffles out.

I do not clean my T8 as often as perhaps I should, a squirt of Wd40 or similar in it once a month or so or when I have put a few rounds through it. I think that I have in the past had detonation in the can on first round being fired but only when I have used it a day or so after giving it a squirt.

A

Now having moderators that are strippable and those that are not I am beginning to wonder what the big advantage is with being able to strip your mod’. I know there are some anal guys who spend more time cleaning and polishing there gear than actually shooting it but for the rest of us rough as*es is it just a waste of time? And have I been suckered by the marketing of the supposed advantages of having a strippable mod’? :(

Best regards,

B-b

Mostly I toss the whole moddy into a hot ultrasonic bath filled

with a kind of soapy water then flush it with hot water.

After drying with an airgun flush with wd40 and blow out.

I've also experienced that fist shot detonation or diesel effect.

The moderators that I made myself I used to dismantle very

often, just to check and maybe learn where the weak points are.

edi

Archived