TRG 22 & 42 Muzzle brakes; are they the same item?

brown dog

My Google powers seem weak; grateful for info on TRG muzzle brakes;

Is there only one TRG muzzle brake to fit both 42s and 22s?

Or is there a TRG22 specific brake and a TRG42 specific brake? (ie a 308 brake and a 338 brake)

Reason for asking: I have a TRG brake (well, actually a Blaser brake, but they appear identical) taken off a 338. I'm putting it on a 308 and assuming it will work; just having a few moments of doubt! If there's only one TRG model for 308 & 338 then I'll relax. :)

Thanks

I,m pretty sure they are the same brake and exit hole, which is always going to be a compromise on a .308. Maybe one of the trg owners here could help ?

Thanks Dave.

I'll measue ID on the .308 brake for you in the morning Matt - I suspect they are the same item.

TC

Thanks Tony, ID on mine is approx 10mm as best I can measure it.

A bit more saddo googling just now got me the fact that Sako only give one part number for the brake, so I'm starting to feel a little more confident that there is just the one item. There are also lots of ads offering 'TRG22/42 muzzle' with no separation.

Having had my hair parted by the gas flow from numerous braked 308 TRGs this cheers me up that my brake will work on a 308!

Hoping you're going to come back with 'approx 10mm' !

Thanks Dave.

Thanks Tony, ID on mine is approx 10mm as best I can measure it.

A bit more saddo googling just now got me the fact that Sako only give one part number for the brake, so I'm starting to feel a little more confident that there is just the one item. There are also lots of ads offering 'TRG22/42 muzzle' with no separation.

Having had my hair parted by the gas flow from numerous braked 308 TRGs this cheers me up that my brake will work on a 308!

Hoping you're going to come back with 'approx 10mm' !

9.90mm using calipers Matt - not a perfect measurement but close enough for government work ;)

The enlarged orifice does not seem to reduce the performance and I think they use the same brake down to .223 on the Tikka Tactical although it would be tougher to measure the effect.

I'd put about a thousand rounds through mine before I shot next to someone else using a TRG (too many AI's) and had not realised how bloody antisocial they are :lol:

I've since discovered how good they are at clearing snow......

TC

My Blaser brake is ID of .495" (its a 338 brake as you know) - works just fine on the 308 and is more efficient than the AI vented brakes despite large bore.

Apologies for delayed "northern" reply :wub:

Archived