F class actions

Elwood

Actually , NO .

I am not talking of the cheaper RSR action that is SS & has a seperate recoil lug & rail .

But the NEW 1086 action , which , has a integral lug & rail like the 591 , go to surgeons website , and you will see what I am talking about .

Later Chris

Yep, the long action version of the 591 Chris.

Interestingly, they seem to be offering it with the m14 type extractor. We begged them to put a sako style, or m14 style one on the short action, but they reckoned they blew out. :D With stiff loads. They dont....the loads dont come much stiffer than the ones i run in my surgeon 6mmbr with a sako extractor fitted by me.

Looks a great action, as the 591 is.

Iterestingly enough, the rem type extractor that surgeon supply with the actions is absolute garbage. Its a pattern part, and i throw them straight in the bin, because virtually every one i originally fitted...failed almost straight away. We now supply a genuine remington part with the action, and they are perfect.

The single shot surgeon wont eject a loaded round of that length either Ian. I dont know of a short action that will. It will eject a fired case no problem.

Kmw sentinel ? :D

I,ve more chance of shagging Claudia Schiffer....... :wub:

The yanks are sat on Terry,s doorstep, watching the UPS men come and go......

.284 shehane ? ....hmmmm.

Dies available ? or is it a custom set ?

For the extra 3 grains of powder it holds over the .284 win, i would have thought the velocity increase was not worth it, and actually recovarable by using reloder 17.

There will be another " hot ticket" in a couple of months. The "f" class boys change like they change their socks.

I went 284 shehane on a 591 action, yes too long to eject a loaded round but you only have to press the release and slide the bolt back a little extra and the round ejects. You don't have to drop the comb, pull out the bolt etc, etc which was a bonus. I went shehane as I wanted a little more room in the case when loading short out of an SA/AICS mag. I haven't got this far yet but my plan was to run a short barrel throated accordingly for hunting and a 30 inch throated long for target stuff. The latter is how its set up at the minute. I wanted a Surgeon as I thought it would be easier to change barrels on this action when at home

Firstly, welcome to the site Izzy !

Tell us more about the cartridge, and the gun itself. nothing better than real time experience.

The surgeon will work well as a switch barrel, ive built several on it, to do just that.

Do you have the tiny surgeon action wrench that just slips in the breech ? if not, shout up. You can change a barrel in around a minute with one.

• 3 months later...

MArk

youre probably aware of the 6mm BR site

this is a link to the .284 Win information page, scroll to the end of that section and there is info on the Shehane;

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#284win

Ive shot a 7mm / 300 WSM for the last two years in the F Class league, but, looking at the figures and results when shooting side by side with guys who use the 284 Shehane there is very little bettween the two - except barrel life is far better with the Shehane.

I was going rebarrel by own F class gun with another WSM, but have a spare bolt coming imminently to make a SHehane for next years season.

The reamer is the same as posted in the 6mm BR site.

Less recoil than the WSM's, less powder, better barrel life, and cheaper brass - all plus's I think

I shot a straight .284 at the Imperial meet this year and won the silver in the long range agg and a silver in the Queens F class final and a bronze in the Grand Agg, I really don't think I lost a lot to the bigger case.

In the long range agg I was beaten by Mik using a WSM but beat Dave Kent who was also using one.

My barrel has 600 rounds through it now, if it was a WSM it would be on its way out but I have another 1000+ rounds to look forward too.

Cheers

Dave

Did someone say Sentinel.....................?

Sentinel1.jpg

Sorry Elwood, had to do that!! :D

Just from the side lines, to be fully competative at F class you need time and money, time as making all the comps gives you the best chance (and they seem spread out across the country) and 'money' as the top rifles are not cheap to build or maintain.

A good friend of mine is 'up there' in F class and he seems to chew thru' rifles in development and barrels in a season.

They keep making the targets smaller as the rifles get better, it is the 'top class' of target shooting

Terry

Did someone say Sentinel.....................?

No you miss heard them, they said sod off :D

In the end I went with for a Bat model M round action, if I'm lucky it will be here late spring 2011.

The rest of the build is a Charles Ballard low rider stock, 32 inch Bartlein barrel and a Jewell trigger.

A good friend of mine is 'up there' in F class and he seems to chew thru' rifles in development and barrels in a season.

They keep making the targets smaller as the rifles get better, it is the 'top class' of target shooting

Terry

It helps if you build your own , pretty much and average of 1 in 5 of the guys in the league do their own....

Now that there is doubt over reasonably priced Bergers being available for next year, I think I will be looking at 7mm SMK's from the start with the Shehane.....

Thanks Ronin i was a=ware of the info on 6mmbr, i was just after somebody will real time with the calibre.

Archived