Ai Aw 6.5x47

foxing2night

Well i got a chance to get my AI out and go down the fields??

The bloody weather in this country?????

Got all the gear out and bore sighted the rifle!!!!

First round on paper and a sigh of relief,,,,

But a good few inches low, so i wound in 2moa and fired the next round,,

as you can see from the pic it was still low, but when i looked through the scope

the two holes matched up to the lines in the ret at exactly 2moa so that was a good start,,

Then i took a few shots to get into the centre and bobs your uncle,,,

gunpics228.jpg

Then after a cuppa, I put a new card up and fire???, cold bore shot

Smack in the middle

gunpics229.jpg

All i can say is that these Schmidt and benders are awesome,,

Now that i was out and the weather was not to bad, I decided to callibrate my scope????

One big piece of card, mark a dot at the bottom shoot for zero and then wind in 30moa and shoot, then 30moa back down and shoot again,, Fantastic the third shot was back in the marked 100 yrd dot, return to zero comfirmed,,,,, then measure the distance between the shots?????

30 moa should be 30",,, but the measurement was actualy 32"??????

gunpics234.jpg

Now divide 30 into 32 = 1.6666667 this is the actual moa of my scope!!!!!

So now it you divide this figure by 1/8 or 1/4 it will give you the click values of your scope,,,

Now when you enter these values into your ballistic data which ever you use will be spot on,,,

Now a word of warning??? I only shot three rounds to do this as i know that my rifle will shoot little groups,, if your groups are more than half inch, i would shoot a five shot group

No scope is ever what it says on the tin so to speak????

Hope this has not bored you all silly???

Darrel

Your old 4-16 scope arrived safely but I am still waiting for the picatinny rail to convert my Tikka dovetail to your mounts.

I got a lift out yesterday morning and got 7 shots with the 6.5X55 and my old scope. I blotted 6 Carrions and 1 Maggie using the Hornady 140gr SP bullets, my driver was impressed as allegedly I am a blind old bat who had his licence revoked by the DVLA Crow Protection Society.

HWH.

Your old 4-16 scope arrived safely but I am still waiting for the picatinny rail to convert my Tikka dovetail to your mounts.

I got a lift out yesterday morning and got 7 shots with the 6.5X55 and my old scope. I blotted 6 Carrions and 1 Maggie using the Hornady 140gr SP bullets, my driver was impressed as allegedly I am a blind old bat who had his licence revoked by the DVLA Crow Protection Society.

HWH.

Hi Stag,

I am sure that you will enjoy that scope and i hope that you have manny hours to come and some greate hunting,,,,,

The thirty mill tube will make all of the difference!!!

And the clarity is superb,,,

Enjoy

Darryl

your scope by my calc is spot on.

Is the following the correct calculation?

True MOA at 100 yds is 1.048 inches x 30 mins Adjustment = 31.44 inches????

Is this why you think the achieved 32 inches is ok?

This would obviousy change as to wether your elevation clicks are in 1/4 inch or 1/4 minute???

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions but i am just making sure i understand things correctly :D

Thanks.

NICK.

Is the following the correct calculation?

True MOA at 100 yds is 1.048 inches x 30 mins Adjustment = 31.44 inches????

Is this why you think the achieved 32 inches is ok?

This would obviousy change as to wether your elevation clicks are in 1/4 inch or 1/4 minute???

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions but i am just making sure i understand things correctly :D

Thanks.

NICK.

Nick,

As has been said, there is only a differance of .6 in the adjustments????

This is a test that i do so that i can enter the results into my ballistic data on my iphone

Right, so say you dial 30 moa, then you measure the actual distance between the two groups on the card???, lets take mine for instance, 30 moa dialed in, actual 32,, so 32 devided by 30, then either 4 or 8 devided into the result an that will give you your click values,,,,

Hope that this helps,, as the adjustments on a scope are not always what it says on the tin????

Darrel

Cheer,s Andy,,

It was a very interesting test!!!!!

The scope is awesome, I will look forward to the 600 yrd comp tomorrow,,,

Hope that you and yours are all well,,,

Darrel :)

They are mate, unfortuantely (as always) I am not able to attend due to commitments (at least my barrel is not being worn out)

Good luck with the comp.

I think any slight varience will be down to group size, as I said, the scope appears spot on.

Hi gents,,

Well i did the comp today,,,,

My ballist data was telling methat i needed to put

9.9 moa for elevation?? , but i actualy put in smack on 11 moa for 600 yrds????

Now that has thrown me write off course :(:(

All that has been alterd was the scope hight?????

I will have to have i think on this one?????

The scope is fantastic at 600yrds,,, it was a dull day and i could see bullet holes,,,

Wind was a killer today for many people,,,

All i could do was to get second place in the factory group :):D and small group patch

All the best Darrel :)

Darrel

Have you remebered to take into account the 5 degrees incline on the 600 yard firing point at Diggle??

I know it makes a bit of difference.

Who came where in factory sporter, I couldnt get and the weather up here was awful

Cheers

Bruce

Now that has thrown me write off course :):D

All that has been alterd was the scope hight?????

I will have to have i think on this one?????

What's to think about?

You've changed your system, you will have to re-calibrate your system data.

Your scope height change of 0.7in alone could introduce a 3.5in elevation error at 600yds.

Similarly your 3 shot MOA measurement is likely to be wrong. As I've pointed out privately and as Ronin pointed out earlier, it sounds "in the Parish". But, defining a scope as being 1.047, 1.067, 1.093 or whatever based on 3 shots at 100yds is open to error.

As I explained:

Imagine your 100yds was actually 101yds.

And that the zero MPI is actually 0.25in higher than you assessed with your 2 shots,

and your 'up 30' shot was actually what would have been the top shot on a group that would have turned out to be 0.25in lower than you assessed.

= 31.5" @ 101yds = 31.18" @100yds then your scope MOA would worked out at 1.04 rather than 1.067 -tiny errors add.

So, with that in mind, to put a 1 MOA elevation at 600yds error in context:

new scope height could account for 0.5MOA

biffed MOA value (1.047 vs 1.067) would account for 0.2 MOA

[that's 60% of the 'error' already - and would have put you within 0.5MOA vertically]

add to that a reality check:

You've said 'wind was a killer' -an unnoticed vertical wind component of only 2mph would move your bullet 4" vertically -ie more than 0.5MOA

bright to overcast (you've mentioned 'dull day') would account for 0.5MOA vertical

Nothing to ponder:

1. You must recalibrate with more than 3 shots at more than just 100 yds

2. You must realistically assess tolerances at XXXyds

:)

What's to think about?

You've changed your system, you will have to re-calibrate your system data.

Your scope height change of 0.7in alone could introduce a 3.5in elevation error at 600yds.

Similarly your 3 shot MOA measurement is likely to be wrong. As I've pointed out privately and as Ronin pointed out earlier, it sounds "in the Parish". But, defining a scope as being 1.047, 1.067, 1.093 or whatever based on 3 shots at 100yds is open to error.

As I explained:

Imagine your 100yds was actually 101yds.

And that the zero MPI is actually 0.25in higher than you assessed with your 2 shots,

and your 'up 30' shot was actually what would have been the top shot on a group that would have turned out to be 0.25in lower than you assessed.

= 31.5" @ 101yds = 31.18" @100yds then your scope MOA would worked out at 1.04 rather than 1.067 -tiny errors add.

So, with that in mind, to put a 1 MOA elevation at 600yds error in context:

new scope height could account for 0.5MOA

biffed MOA value (1.047 vs 1.067) would account for 0.2 MOA

[that's 60% of the 'error' already - and would have put you within 0.5MOA vertically]

add to that a reality check:

You've said 'wind was a killer' -an unnoticed vertical wind component of only 2mph would move your bullet 4" vertically -ie more than 0.5MOA

bright to overcast (you've mentioned 'dull day') would account for 0.5MOA vertical

Nothing to ponder:

1. You must recalibrate with more than 3 shots at more than just 100 yds

2. You must realistically assess tolerances at XXXyds

:)

Thanks BD,

I should be able to get some long range data on wednesday if the weather holds up??

The only thing that i have noticed with the data on my iphone is that my original drop at 600 yrds was 65 inches,,, now with the new data fed in, ie scope hight it says 62 inches???, I am just wondering if i have done somthing wrong????

I have not had a chance to look at the data and the targets as of yet,,, to tired when i got in last night,,,,

Darrel :)

i have noticed with the data on my iphone is that my original drop at 600 yrds was 65 inches,,, now with the new data fed in, ie scope hight it says 62 inches???, I am just wondering if i have done somthing wrong????

No that sounds right - and is the new scope height being taken account of - I guessed in my earlier post at 3.5in difference at 600 (not a bad guess, even if I say so myself!) [remember -what it's calling 'drop' is actually 'path']

I'd bet hundreds of pounds that the 'error' is vertical wind [major] and light [minor] and your data is actually roughly right.

Don't chase a one-event 'error', you'll go in circles chasing your own tale!

Get more data and look for a trend.

No that sounds right - and is the new scope height being taken account of - I guessed in my earlier post at 3.5in difference at 600 (not a bad guess, even if I say so myself!) [remember -what it's calling 'drop' is actually 'path']

I'd bet hundreds of pounds that the 'error' is vertical wind [major] and light [minor] and your data is actually roughly right.

Don't chase a one-event 'error', you'll go in circles chasing your own tale!

Get more data and look for a trend.

Cheers BD,

Thank you for all your help!!!

Should get all the data that I need Wednesday ??

Speak soon, Darrel

Archived