Ai Aw 6.5x47

foxing2night

Cracking setup F2N.

A friend of mine has just had a 27 inch Pacnor tube fitted on a Sako 75 in 6.5 x 47.

He asked me to help him , as he is only just getting into the long range stuff.

Using his 5-25x56 S&B , we were both hitting a 5 inch gong at 650 yds with boring consistancy.

Really impressed with the cal . grouping within 1/4 MOA at 100yrds -

and he has not done any load development yet :wacko: just picked a load out of the book.

All the best

Alan

Nice one Darrel. :wacko:

I,ve just this minute unwrapped a pair of rings to to fit my big schmidt to my 6.5. The scope has been sat there 3 weeks, and no means of fitting.

Did you get to the mcqueens ?

Looking good Darrel.

I was spotting Dave Lloyd's shots at 600 today with my S&B 12-50x56, so long as he was hitting the 3 inch V bull ( which he did with regularity ) I could spot the shots.

I would be interested to see what you make of the parallax? I know it's only a rough guide but my clearest sight picture today at 600 yards I had to set my parallax to infinity!

There have been several apparently Ian, that do this. Send it back, its faulty. We saw one of the early ones at diggle that wouldn,t resolve past 400 yards.

There have been several apparently Ian, that do this. Send it back, its faulty. We saw one of the early ones at diggle that wouldn,t resolve past 400 yards.

Bastards, it's already been back once to have the sport ret changed to the sport fine, I asked them then to have a look at the parallax then. Lets just say the retailers were extremely helpful in relieving me of £1700 and that's where there customer service stopped!.

Never mind, I will make a phone call in the morning.

Looks very cool mate:-)

like the look of that big s&b almost went for one instead of the zeiss victory but im happy with wht ive got!

(so happy i have two now :wacko: )

hope she performs as well as it looks:-)

cheers Andy

Hi boy,s,

Trigger, ,,, Accuracy international and looks like mine!!!

What more could i ask for??? :lol:;) #

Dave, how did you manage to wait three weeks????

I have waited two, and that nearly killed me :(:(

I have not done a mcqweens for a while,,,,

Been doing the 600br

Elwood, I hope that you get yours sorted out soon,,,

The optics on them are awsome,,, i have got a 600yrd on the bank holiday monday,

I will let you know how i get on, and what i think of the scope???

Skany, Optics is always a personel thing, but the mane thing is that you

are happy with your choice,,,,

Long Range Capt, I will get down to the farm as soon as i can,, Get it zeroed, more than likely thursday,, Then i have got two comps this weekend and if Trigger will have us,,, We can get there next wednesday????? I have got some cards off Matt just to give me an idea of some drops but i will do the data again and get them bob on???

Chris nz,, It,s a hard life, lying behind a 6.5x47??? But hey some one has got to do it :D:D

Did you use them loads that we talke about or have you found a better one?

That you are keeping to yourself B)B)

Thanks for your kind words,,,, Darrel :wacko:

Hi Darrel,

Excellent set-up, I would be really interested in your opinion of the Schmidt at 50x against a NXS at 42x - in resolving 6.5mm holes - max distance in black targets if there is any difference between the two.

I know the glass on the NXS is not in the same class - at night my 44mm USO leaves the 56mm NXS for dead both in terrms of image quality and FOV. But what I need the the NXS scopes for are resolving ability.

Now, if you would only buy a March 8-80x52 as well you would save me a lot of money as I`m not sure whats next on my scope list the big Schmidt or a March.

David.

Hi Darrel,

Excellent set-up, I would be really interested in your opinion of the Schmidt at 50x against a NXS at 42x - in resolving 6.5mm holes - max distance in black targets if there is any difference between the two.

I know the glass on the NXS is not in the same class - at night my 44mm USO leaves the 56mm NXS for dead both in terrms of image quality and FOV. But what I need the the NXS scopes for are resolving ability.

Now, if you would only buy a March 8-80x52 as well you would save me a lot of money as I`m not sure whats next on my scope list the big Schmidt or a March.

David.

Hi David, The scope was only mounted on tuesday,,, And at the moment we are having some really

bad weather, snow and high winds,,,

I have only got thursday or friday to site it in, as i have got a 600 yrd comp on monday and a 100 br comp saturday, so i am running out of time???

The nxs scopes that i have had a look through do not have a clear image when on full power,,,,

the big schmidt does not have any fringing or distortion of any kind and when you look through it,

it,s as if some one has turned the light on ,,,, Fantastic optics!!!!

I will let you know my thoughts after the 600yrd comp????

I did have a look through one a couple of weeks ago at a 6ooyrd shoot and it was far better than anything that i have looked throught before???

Speak soon Darrel

I,ve just removed my 12-42 nxs, and its going on the ackley. It let me down at the weekend on the 200 yard mcqueens. I couldn,t make out the "v" bull, no matter what i did. I have no such trouble with the 8-32 nxs. My big schmidt is going on the mcqueens gun now. If you cant see the v ....your farcked.

Had my eyes tested last week, and now need glasses for up close. The lady said i should stop masturbating...... I said.."what, NOW" ? :)

I,ve just removed my 12-42 nxs, and its going on the ackley. It let me down at the weekend on the 200 yard mcqueens. I couldn,t make out the "v" bull, no matter what i did. I have no such trouble with the 8-32 nxs. My big schmidt is going on the mcqueens gun now. If you cant see the v ....your farcked.

Had my eyes tested last week, and now need glasses for up close. The lady said i should stop masturbating...... I said.."what, NOW" ? :blush:

seems the worse your eyes get the more expensive your scopes get :)

hope mine dont get no worse :D

Andy

Here ya go fella,s

Now the setup is looking Good!!!!

gunpics222.jpg

Accuracy international, Border fluted 6.5x47 barrel

Jet z compact mod

Schmidt bender 12-50x56

Just waiting for a good day to site it in,,,,

All the best F2N :)

Darrel,

Couldn't ask you to give a bit more detail on the rifle -reliability with 6.5x47, anything done to the trigger, to mags etc; more info on barrel, shootability comparison with when it was 308.............everything really!

Thanks!

Darrel,

Couldn't ask you to give a bit more detail on the rifle -reliability with 6.5x47, anything done to the trigger, to mags etc; more info on barrel, shootability comparison with when it was 308.............everything really!

Thanks!

Hi BD,

Not a lot to say really!!!!

All that was done to the rifle was to order the 6.5x47 barrel from Graeme clark

and put it on,, Takes 10 mins was the right kit,,,

Reliability with the ten round mags is no problem,,

Trigger was ajusted with a screwdriver by Mike Norris, i prefer a light trigger for group shooting,,

And that was all that was done,,,

Die,s are wilson hand held die,s,, neck size only

Powder used is reloader 15 at 38.6, with cci 450 primers

fps is 3060

And it will do the under half inch if the nut behind the butt does his job????

My 308 shot some really small groups but the 6.5x47 has an advantage in the wind and less elevation

BD put one on and come over to the dark side :):D

All the best Darrel :blush:

Thanks!

Archer or border? How long? Twist? Delivery time? (Cost?! (might want to PM that one!))

I like it!

How light did you go with your trigger?

Mine's the best AW trigger I've ever used, it's silk at 2lb - but I'd like to go lighter, spotted an article on snipershide explaining how to get it to 1lb single stage - waiting for an answer from Graeme as to whether that's a legit adjustment - wondering if you've gone single stage?!

Thanks!

Archer or border? How long? Twist? Delivery time? (Cost?! (might want to PM that one!))

I like it!

How light did you go with your trigger?

Mine's the best AW trigger I've ever used, it's silk at 2lb - but I'd like to go lighter, spotted an article on snipershide explaining how to get it to 1lb single stage - waiting for an answer from Graeme as to whether that's a legit adjustment - wondering if you've gone single stage?!

Hi BD,

I would say that my trigger is not far off a pound,, It took Mike Norris about one minuite

to do it,, I have got a chart some were that shows the trigger layout i will have a look and see if i have still got it????

Border archer barrel 24" long with a 8.5 twist, fluted

Graeme had two in stock so as soon as it was out of proof it was sent to my nearest dealer ready for me to pick it up,,

At first i could not get realy small groups, so i had a word with Mike and he advised me to ues cci450 mag primers,,,, Bloody hell what a differance

Took it down to the farm to try and the first group was .260 second was .242 so i pack up and when home ,,, happy as lar :D ry

This is why i only have to use three sots to calibrate my scope???

Pm on the way!!!!

Darrel :D;)

Archived