Vihtavouri Powder. N 140.]

stag1933

Hi all.

I had `colin` here a few nights ago.

I was going to try a load for his BRNO which is not shooting very well with factory ammo. [.243 cal.]

My Sako Varminter is a one-holer with my current load using 75gr V.Max or 68gr Bergers.

My current tub of Vit. N140 is nearly finished so I opened up a new tub.[2 years younger stock.]

I always check new stock before using it and was surprised to find that the new tub dropped a charge 2 GRAINS heavier than the old tub.

Had I not checked this I fear the worst as I am nearly at max. charge now.

After altering the hopper to the required 40.5 grains I loaded 5 with the 75gr V. Max.

Four shots could be hidden under a 20 pence piece so I have brewed him a few more up and expect him to do a field test on the Bushytails soon.

Previosly I had variable lots of Varget but have had NO problems with Vihtavouri.

HWH.

Hi all.

I had `colin` here a few nights ago.

I was going to try a load for his BRNO which is not shooting very well with factory ammo. [.243 cal.]

My Sako Varminter is a one-holer with my current load using 75gr V.Max or 68gr Bergers.

My current tub of Vit. N140 is nearly finished so I opened up a new tub.[2 years younger stock.]

I always check new stock before using it and was surprised to find that the new tub dropped a charge 2 GRAINS heavier than the old tub.

After altering the hopper to the required 40.5 grains I loaded 5 with the 75gr V. Max.

Four shots could be hidden under a 20 pence piece so I have brewed him a few more up and expect him to do a field test on the Bushytails soon.

Previosly I had variable lots of Varget but have had NO problems with Vihtavouri.

HWH.

hi stagg

the only problem with n140 is it is sometimes hard to get hold of, i think this is because it is used by bench rest shooters.

well thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.

but i only use VV powder my self now

ATB

Colin :)

Not usually had a problem getting VV140? the main reason its so popular , is that its THE powder for the 155 grain scenar in .308, and everyone seem to use it for this load.

It depends when it was bought and what packaging it was in. generally Vhitavouri is fairly much the same batch to batch but I believe there were storage circumstances that affected some powder including N140 three or four years ago. There was a short period when the USA 2lb packs (not the normal 2KG) were first available here and I found those somewhat stale and slightly different (faster) in burn rate.

However, always try to buy powder in sufficient quantities to avoid these problems and if not always drop a grain or two and build up again when you start a new batch.

Hi 325.

My old Vit. N140 one- hole tub was a 2 pounder made on 26/4/04, I had two of these of the same batch.

The new tub is a 1kilo type and is dated 2/11/06 .

My loading and storage facilities are in a cool basement.

It will be interesting to see how it shoots in my own rifle, I will give it a go when I get back from hols. in a weeks time.

HWH.

Hey Col, 6mmPPC benchrest shooters use Vit 133, its the tactical 308 boys who use all the 140 :D:D

Ian.

Love viht N133 ian :D;):D

All the best..........

RAY................. :D :D

Archived