.338 Modeartors

I figured this would be the best forum to pop this question on, as there are a lot of gunsmiths and keen target shooters here!

I want a fairly compact mod for a .338 Win Mag. I assume any standard mods would be proofed for .338 Lapua. What's available? I've seen a few that are about a foot long an not of a reflex design, well I don't want that! I'd rather lose a bit of noise reduction and have something that wont be like a length of drain pipe on the end of my gun!

So far I've found the Ase Utra S7 to be the most compact. It's not a reflex or light weight but it's not huge either. I also plan to look on the Wildcat site as there are a load of options on there and Andy may make something to suit? Are there any others I'm missing?

I think I've asked this before but the search wont accept ".338" and a search for "moderator" without .338 added brings up about a million pages! :angry:

Iv'e had a A-Tec CCM (Compact modular) on "test" for a while.

The mod is the end of barrel design and has removable baffle sections one may add or subtract to the length depending on how much attenuation you want.

The mod started out as a .30 cal and ive opened it out to .400"

The majority of my "target" rifles have M18x1 thread so I threaded the mad to this too.

Ive used the CCM with 338 Lap Mag for at the last count 500+ rounds, it works very well in standard baffle (6) formation and quietens the noise down considerably, recoil is reduced although I still prefer where possible to use a brake as I like to see the hits - you do lose sight picture with the mod.

I understand that James (Kaleiderscope) has a few CCM's left by the way, may be worth giving him a call.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into it. You've brought up a good point here too. I need to find out what the biggest standard thread I can get on a sporter weight barrel would be.

How long is the mod you mention? I've just spotted an Ase Utra S6 (I only knew of the S5 and S7) which is designed for .338 Win Mag / .375H&H and it's only 132mm long and 45mm diameter! It weighs in at 650g which isn't light if it's all hanging off of the end, but it is short. I think weight and off the muzzle length will be a key deciding factor.

EDIT... One thing the A-Tecs do seem to have going for them is weight, or rather lack of it!

Ive got an S7 for my .338 LM and it works very well, although as Ronin said, spotting your hits can be troublesome even with the extra weight that the AI gives.

Added to the S7 I purchased a NOMEX/Cordura cover for it from Jackson Rifles for £20.00 which assists in reducing the heat mirage.

Given the choice and when shooting with FCSA I like to use the muzzle break, as all shots can be spotted.

Kind Regards

Rob

Ive got an S7 for my .338 LM and it works very well, although as Ronin said, spotting your hits can be troublesome even with the extra weight that the AI gives.

Added to the S7 I purchased a NOMEX/Cordura cover for it from Jackson Rifles for £20.00 which assists in reducing the heat mirage.

Given the choice and when shooting with FCSA I like to use the muzzle break, as all shots can be spotted.

Kind Regards

Rob

I am with Rob on this one,,

I have seen and used his 338,,

And i thought that it was just like firing my 308

the sound mod that he had on really tamed it ,,,,,

Darrel

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into it. You've brought up a good point here too. I need to find out what the biggest standard thread I can get on a sporter weight barrel would be.

How long is the mod you mention? I've just spotted an Ase Utra S6 (I only knew of the S5 and S7) which is designed for .338 Win Mag / .375H&H and it's only 132mm long and 45mm diameter! It weighs in at 650g which isn't light if it's all hanging off of the end, but it is short. I think weight and off the muzzle length will be a key deciding factor.

EDIT... One thing the A-Tecs do seem to have going for them is weight, or rather lack of it!

Largest thread would be whatever barrel diameter you have - for example of your barrel is .600" at the muzzle you could fit a M14x1mm.

I would seek advice from whoever you intend to cut the thread, bear in mind that you want as large a thread as possible so as not to compromise barrel integrity.

The CCM I have here, came with a bored hole, ive done the threading, I am pretty sure you could have them in 1/2UNF through to M18x1 no problem.

The CCM is 475gramms , 195mm long (7 11/16ths) and 39mm diameter (1.5inches)

Ive used numerous mods over the years, I like the CCM, the only one that I prefer over it is the Brugger and Thomet, but they are three times the price..

The only 338LM can I have used is a Reflex T8M , on a TRG-41 that was threaded for the TRG-42 brake , and I found it very good , it did however make shooting more than 3 rds a issue , unless you use a thermal cover of some sort .

RE Brugger & Thomet cans , I have a few , and donot like them at all , this is the 308 & the 338 model that goes over the AI single chamber brake , too heavy and over priced .

I do however like there ( BT ) long suppressor that fits over the 16 inche subsonic barrel for the AW .

Later Chris

Actually , I find I donot like anything I can find for my 338LM or 300WM , and I think my only option , will be have a custom can made up to my specs in New Zealand .

Guys,

I have a couple titanium .338 cans kicking about which were left overs from a batch build for a weapons manufacturer. One of the many advantages of titanium is virtually no mirage issues and near bomb-proof construction, apart from no rust and extremely long life. One of the cans is in 3/4" x 20 and the other is to suit the Accuracy International barrel interface (not over the muzzle break, but rather over thread and spigot).

Cheers,

George

George, why is there no mirage issues with titanium?

edi

Better heat dispersal properties. Attached is a picture of one of our titanium Quick Detach moderators after a burst of automatic fire, allowing enough time only to change clips. Titanium heats ups more quickly but dissipates the heat very well and cools down very fast too.

post-9238-1269759011_thumb.jpg

Archived