Range Finding Binos

Rols

Hi chaps

A bit of advice. I'm looking at upgrading to a pair of range finding Binos and wondered what your thoughts / experiences are. Looking at either Zeiss or Leica probably in 8x42 configuration.

Thanks

Rols

Hi chaps

A bit of advice. I'm looking at upgrading to a pair of range finding Binos and wondered what your thoughts / experiences are. Looking at either Zeiss or Leica probably in 8x42 configuration.

Thanks

Rols

Hi

I use Leica 8x56 Geovids, and have no complaints at all after 2+ years with them. Having said that , I havent seen or used the Zeiss option, so maybe that is not a basis for comparison. Binos are improving all the time, so look at all the options and try to check them in bad or decreasing light conditions before you make the choice. Then decide in an informed way, rather than according to the shop keepers patter.

The 8 x 56 are somewhat heavier than others, but that has never been problem , even for an old fart such as myself while stalking, and the weight may even contribute to keeping them steady for clear vision during the 'magic half hour'.

Best

Leica are more compact

Zeiss have a far better rangefinder and in my opinion have better glass

I replaced a pair of Leica for the Zeiss HD and haven't been disappointed.Leica have recently introduced their own HD version that I haven't had a look through yet

Agree with Tikka 260. I also use Leica Geovid 8x56's. Heavy but very robust and with excellent clarity - I would certainly buy them again. The small Leica rangefinders are also very good if you already own a decent pair of binoculars - and a Swarovski rep informed me that they are planning to produce a rangefinder binocular (didn't know an exact launch date) which should be very good too. I've not owned Zeiss rangefinder binoculars so can't comment on these.

Varmint Hunter Magazine did a comprehensive review of Zeiss & Leica (maybe Swarovski mono too) sometime in the last year - definitely worth a read before investing.

I went Zeiss 8x45 (from a pair of Leica 8x42 non rangefinder) and have found the Zeiss excellent in all conditions except bright sunlight - when I have trouble seeing any range readout let alone the actual measurement.

The BIS feature I find a gimmick, and have only used the yards feature (preference over metres....but an option with Zeiss)

If I find the VHA article I can send, although it may have been 'recycled' by now

cheers

AndyCM

According to Swarovski, their offering in this field will be available early next year. Might be worth waiting to see what they are like before you spend the ackers.

Swarovski binos are the best of the bunch so I'm guessing that they will have done their homework on these.

G

Thanks Guys for the replys.

Interesting to note Swarovski are bringing out a rangefinding model, all my CF scopes are Swarovski so it would be nice to have their binos as well, just don't know if I can wait til next year

AndyCM, if you do find the copy of Varmint Hunter Magazine I'd really appreciate taking a look at it.

Regards

Rich

If AndyCM can't find that VHA article, I have it, can photocopy and post. It was interesting reading: I have a longstanding respect for Leitz optics, and use the Leica 900 rangefinder myself, but the article's author produced comparison figures which suggested the Geovid is outclassed optically & laser-wise by the Zeiss. This might sway your choice - though personally, I'd prefer the 56mm objective of the Leica unit to the 45mm on the Zeiss - I use a Steiner 8x56 binocular and that spec is terrific for picking out distant varmints in poor light.

Regards, Tonyh

Er

without being cheeky, I too am (again) considering the LR Bino move.

I considered it last year and decided not to, this year.....

Anyway, my shortlist is Leica, Zeiss or Vectronix

Any test reports would be welcome.

Particually interested in optical quality, beam divergance and time for readout and of course max distance.....

Er

Particually interested in optical quality, beam divergance and time for readout and of course max distance.....

First dibs on your current LRF please!

Er

Andy, I can post you a photocopied review from TVH tomorrow. I'll do a further copy for Rols in case he requests one.

TonyH

BD no problem

Tony thanks - any update on the 22-250 bushing?

BD - er,, whats wrong with the PLRF 10's?

Andy, I can post you a photocopied review from TVH tomorrow. I'll do a further copy for Rols in case he requests one.

TonyH

Tony

Yes I'll have a copy if you don't mind. PM sent

Thanks Rich

Fully kaput :rolleyes:

Oh, fluck :rolleyes:

Whats your view on the AVIMO LD900?

Oh, fluck :blink:

Whats your view on the AVIMO LD900?

ummm, not sure what an AVIMO LD900 is! Just googled to try to see what they are and discovered that AVIMO make Brit Army binos - but I've never heard the name 'avimo' before :lol: Couldn't find anything on LD900 -might recognise it if I see it!

Only one thought regarding civvy use of military lasers of the 1064nm variety (which I assume this is) ; how are people at shoots such as FCSA controlling the use of such lasers whilst people are observing through conventional magnifying optics?

Think laser reflections off an object 1km away from a laser with sufficient power to get readings at 10km ...and such reflections being observed through optics magnifying at x25 or more. Cataract city.

The Hensoldt binos I acquired years back (in order to carry something smaller than the binos I've just learnt were made by Avimo!) have a 1064nm laser filter coating. The same is true of my 5-25 MKII (have I told you about that?!).

Without the coating, no one should be looking through optics at objects in the vicinity of something being lased by miltary laser.....so be aware of what those around you are using ;)

Just a thought :)

HOW ABOUT THIS .

10 Years of the CRF Range – Now with Integrated Measurement of Angle of Elevation/Declination, Temperature and Barometric Pressure.

Leica Rangemaster CRF1600 with

Integrated Intelligent Ballistic Program

Precise shots without knowing the distance from your target – for hunters, determining the right spot to aim for has never been so easy and accurate before. The new LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 1600 measures not only the precise distance, it even calculates exactly where the bullet will hit the target in advance.

In addition to the standard ballistic trajectory, its Leica microcomputer also integrates the angle of elevation/declination, the temperature and the barometric pressure in its calculations. This brings an invaluable benefit for hunters, as it displays the point of aim in less than 0.3 seconds without any need to study ballistic tables and without laborious measuring procedures. Hunters can react rapidly and accurately and get their shots right on target in even the most difficult situations.

The options offered by the Rangemaster 1600 are unique in the premium segment and are the revolutionary consequence of ten years of Leica expertise and experience in the construction of the CRF range.

A further improvement offered by the new Rangemaster 1600 is its extended range of 1500 meters (1600 yards), and the rejection of measured distances below ten meters. This aspect of its measuring behavior is particularly important for hunters and makes the Rangemaster ideal for use from cover Bushes, brush and grass at close range can now no longer influence its measuring performance. All measuring results are analyzed electronically and deliver only unambiguous and accurate values. This means that hunters can rely on the Rangemaster with absolute certainty.

The brightness and sharpness of its LED display have been decisively improved too. The figures remain clear and distinctly legible even in the dazzling brightness of snowscapes. Its red LED display is as bright as day and absolutely tack-sharp. Its display brightness adjusts automatically to ambient lighting conditions. This effectively prevents dazzling in the dark and improves legibility when it’s bright. And now, users can easily switch the units displayed from meters to yards. Its computer converts the results into the units required and indicates the units displayed to prevent confusion.

This compact device with the size of a pack of cigarettes is the perfect solution for left- and right-handed users and can be comfortably held upright in just one hand. The fingertips reach the buttons on the top with equal ease from both sides, and its smooth operation makes its handling ideal, even when wearing gloves in winter. Depressing the button activates the opto-electronic system and a second press starts the measuring process. Constant pressure on the button activates the Rangemaster’s scanning mode. This means that the Rangemaster now measures continuously and can “track” game on the move.

Another great advantage of the Rangemaster is its extremely compact construction. Weighing in at only 200 grams, it is an absolute lightweight and slips easily into any small shirt- or pants pocket. All in all, a fast and dependable, constant companion that’s ideal for hunting and stalking game

The features of the Rangemaster 1600 naturally include all the benefits of the tried and tested Rangemaster range. AquaDuraTM coating of all exposed lens surfaces lets water just run off and makes dirt particularly easy to remove. Its superior quality optical system with 7x magnification and an extra-wide field of view also makes the Rangemaster a useful monocular glass for detailed, high-contrast viewing. Its strong and tough carbon-fiber reinforced body is waterproof to a depth of 1 meter. This rangefinder can easily shake of a heavy shower or an accidental dip in a stream. Diopter compensation and specially designed rubber eyepiece cups make the Rangemaster the ideal choice for eyeglass-wearers.

Leica pioneered the field of laser rangefinding and leads the market with Leica Rangemaster and Geovid binoculars. Leica’s vast experience in the design and construction of hunting glasses goes back to the days of Dr Ernst Leitz, a passionate hunter who contributed his hunting competence and sense of purpose from the very first moments on. This story of success began with the Binocle 6x18 in 1907. Today, Leica manufactures an entire range of optical equipment especially designed with hunters in mind, which also includes premium quality riflescopes that, equipped with ASV fast reticle adjustment, are perfect for use in combination with the Rangemaster 1600.

The LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 1600 will be available from August 2010 at $799.00.

Tony

report arrived, many thanks, most helpful read.

:angry:

• 4 months later...
but I've never heard the name 'avimo' before

The Hensoldt binos I acquired years back (in order to carry something smaller than the binos I've just learnt were made by Avimo!)

Avimo were based in Taunton and "assembled" the 7x42 issue binocular that the MOD bought; my understanding is that Hoya (photographic Filters) supplied the optics so there was no manufacture on site of lens elements.

They are never value for money as they were made on the "set up once" princible and, and I have yet to find a repairer who can fix them when they are out of colimation.

Also Swarovski hope to announce their RF binoculars in March, should be interesting with the benifit of Leica & Zeiss already in the market place, it could just put them in front of the Laser/Bino race.

And lastly a belated hello; Brown Dog insisted I join the forum when all I usually shoot are a motley collction of Lee Enfield's, some converted for TR use and the rest I shoot in civilian service rifle comps.

Archived