exbal ballistic programe

dogfox

Hi

I have finaly got my exbal ballistic programe set up on my pocket pc.I have been playing with it and setting the programe for my long barrel pistol and my cooper rifle.what great fun it is,I look at the range finder.look at the programe and dial in the clicks and fire.A rabbit at 350 yards, bang and splat. :lol: I should have had one of these years ago.

I just need some nice weather to try it out a bit more and get some pics :D .

Dogfox

GREAT FUN AINT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh yes - dont forget wind meter!!

All the best and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAY.................... :lol::D

Had Exbal for est 4 years - best thing I bought (besides a wind meter) :lol:

Zaitzev

you need Quickload to do this and i'm pushed for time at the moment - maybe someone else could assist - it would aldo help if you tell us how many grains of water the case holds.

Andy

Ziatzev, I'm pretty new to Quickload so DO NOT use this information until one of the other guys confirms it, play safe and all that. I have cross referenced other people's loads with QL and have always come up with the same, so it ought to be safe but I would happier if someone else verified it. Also case length and barrel length info would be good.

Cartridge : 6 mm PPC

Bullet : .243, 87, Hornady BTHP 2442

Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.193 inch or 55.70 mm

Barrel Length : 25.0 inch or 635.0 mm

Powder : Vihtavuori N133

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,

incremented in steps of 2.0% of nominal charge.

CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time

% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

-20.0 79 20.00 2289 1012 26966 4803 96.1 1.528

-18.0 81 20.50 2338 1056 28617 4921 96.8 1.493

-16.0 83 21.00 2387 1101 30364 5034 97.5 1.459

-14.0 85 21.50 2436 1146 32212 5141 98.1 1.426

-12.0 87 22.00 2484 1192 34176 5240 98.6 1.394

-10.0 89 22.50 2532 1238 36238 5334 99.0 1.363

-08.0 91 23.00 2579 1285 38400 5419 99.4 1.331

-06.0 93 23.50 2626 1332 40679 5498 99.6 1.298

-04.0 95 24.00 2673 1380 43089 5569 99.8 1.265

-02.0 97 24.50 2719 1428 45638 5631 100.0 1.234

+00.0 99 25.00 2764 1476 48336 5686 100.0 1.204

+02.0 101 25.50 2810 1525 51192 5736 100.0 1.175 ! Near Maximum !

+04.0 103 26.00 2854 1574 54215 5784 100.0 1.147 ! Near Maximum !

+06.0 105 26.50 2898 1623 57419 5831 100.0 1.121 ! Near Maximum !

+08.0 107 27.00 2942 1672 60815 5876 100.0 1.095 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

+10.0 109 27.50 2985 1722 64418 5920 100.0 1.070 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge

Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:

+Ba 99 25.00 2851 1571 56931 5455 100.0 1.132 ! Near Maximum !

Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:

-Ba 99 25.00 2634 1340 39853 5806 97.7 1.301

Hi Blackdog

I ordered my from the states.They sent the program through email with an attachment and I then down loaded it to a disc and then on to my pocket PC.

Out at one of the farms I have permission on this afternoon with the 22-250Ai and some 75g A-Max for relaxing hour or two. I took my wind meter and Palm with Exbal.

Hoping to persuede a fox to show itself.

The rifle is zero'd at 130yards and having set up in the middle of lambs, beef cattle and flies, I had a birds eye view of the area I intended to shoot over.

LRBunny.png

You'll see from the photo that its quite a large area and there are two prominant bunny holes at 290 and 420 yards.

The 420 yarder entrance is not in view, but its there.

Whilst I was scanning the area with my rangefinder, a bunny popped out of the 300 yard hole, he settled down after a brief run and commenced feeding side on to me at a measured distance of 302 yards.

Wind was L-R at 2mph.

Crunching the figs into Exbal, I made the appropriate ajustment and settled the crosshairs on his neck. I had a very steady firing platform (solid ground) and a good rear rest (my fist) with bipod on the foreend. I was sure he wasn't going to move so I gently squeezed the trigger and away whent the A-Max. The bunny flipped over, I think he was a little shocked as his head disapeared!

First shot, cold bore ajusting from a 130yard zero.

DSC00453.jpg

A humane shot, backed up with the knowledge that Exbal works :lol:

One or two more, bunnies met their end bettween the two holes out to a max of 370yards, sadly no fox. 12 shots, 11 kills all checked with rangefinder and dialled in after ajustment with Exbal.

DSC00452.jpg

It works very, very well, although I have to say I have drop tables as well just in case batteries go flat :lol:

Belt and braces for me!

Hi andy good shooting there buddy :lol::o

I use my ballistics for my rifles in a paper format and have found when combined for your rifle -load data , it works a treat!!

With the help of a rangefinder and windmeter , you can connect on vermin on those longer ranges where they feel safer!!

Been out today and had a bunnie at 286 and 321yds with me 6PPC using 58 v-maxs ........DSCF1281.jpgDSCF1272.jpg

Had some shorter range bunnies too , but missed 4 other due to me not picking up cross winds correctly :lol: :lol:

As andy mass has demonsrated when you use the ballistic data / rangefinder and windmeter at the longer ranges - the results can be awesome!!!!

A word of advise , go practice on paper so you know how you and your rifle / combo performs with the other tools mentioned , and this will give you a idea of what distances and conditions you personaly can perform in!!!!

All the very best...............

RAY.............................. :o;)

Hi andy good shooting there buddy :lol::o

I use my ballistics for my rifles in a paper format and have found when combined for your rifle -load data , it works a treat!!

With the help of a rangefinder and windmeter , you can connect on vermin on those longer ranges where they feel safer!!

Been out today and had a bunnie at 286 and 321yds with me 6PPC using 58 v-maxs ........DSCF1281.jpgDSCF1272.jpg

Had some shorter range bunnies too , but missed 4 other due to me not picking up cross winds correctly :lol: :lol:

As andy mass has demonsrated when you use the ballistic data / rangefinder and windmeter at the longer ranges - the results can be awesome!!!!

A word of advise , go practice on paper so you know how you and your rifle / combo performs with the other tools mentioned , and this will give you a idea of what distances and conditions you personaly can perform in!!!!

All the very best...............

RAY.............................. :o;)

hi gents,

very interesting read that was,,, i have herd of these ballistic programs that you use with a hand held computer but i have never seen one or seen one in use???, is there any chance that you all could explain a bit more indepth???? sorry to be a pain in the arse but i think that others might be thinking the same thing but they do not want to ask????? cheer,s gents f2n

Ok you technowizzys. Anyone fancy running me this one? 6PPC Lap case 87gr hornady hpbt and n134. Just wanting to know if it will work? Oh yes and N133 too pretty please.

Love

z :lol::lol::lol:;):o

87 gr in a PPC ?, is that not a bit high, what twist are you using?.

a

Hi F2N

Have a look at this www.perry-systems.com.

Basiclly all you do is put in the muzzel velocity of yor gun,the bullet Coefficients the field condition ie wind speed,temperature,range and the adjustments on your scope ie 1/4, 1/6 ect and you hit the table button and it will tell you how far your bullet will drop at the range you are shooting.It will also tell you how many clicks,inches,center metres.moa you need to adjust to put you on target.

dogfox

In reply to the more "in depth" request on Exbal.

The programme is available from Perry Systems in the US. It is available in PC, Pocket PC and Palm operating system. so you choose what type you want, if you have a HP personal hand held pc then you need Pocket PC, if you have a Palm device then purchase the Palm version.

I have both PC and Palm versions - but i'm anal :lol:

The cost was in the region of £80 for both inc delivery, but that was over six years ago, I've no idea what the cost is now.

In essence when using the hand held device, there are three screens to work through in order to obtain the data for a shot, the first being

BULLET DATA

- this is your MV of your bullet, bullet weight, sight in distance and ballistic coefficient of that bullet.

You set this data EXACTLY to your zero range and using a chronograph use an average figure as the datum point.

2nd Screen FIELD CONDITIONS -

This is the altitude your zero was set at the temp and humidity, if you don't know it then EXBAL takes a sea level reading, which WILL affect the bullet placement on YOUR rifle if entered in correctly (my zero is attained at 1164 ft above sea level)

3 rd screen TARGET ENGAGEMENT -

Vital importance now, this is the EXACT distance to target, wind speed and direct it comes from (ie behind you is 6 o'clock, Left to right would be 9 O'clock and so on) and also Angle to target (if you are on an incline which again affects the actual distance ajustment on the programme)

In essence, once your first two screens are set, you just enter the data from the Target Engagement screen and obtain the ajustment figres on the Exbal results screen which gives you data in IPHY (inches per hundred yards) MILs, MOA or even can be set to specific scopes like the NRPD Reticule on the nightforce scopes.

Sounds Complicated, but it isn't at all, once you get your head around using the programme - which takes an afternoon "play"

The programme can store data for numerous loads - so I have in mine ALL my various rifles and data to support 75g A-Max, 100g Speer FB and BT, 140G A-Max, 140g SST, 142 SMK, and friend data for their rifles etc etc etc.

Tikkaandoehler.jpg

Thats my set up in the pic, the essential items are the rangefinder, PALM, and windmeter (not in pic).

You have to spend time on the range "fudging" the BC a little to get the EXACT results that you get on paper. I certinaly wouldn't advise you got Exbal and once you knew the MV of you bullet you went straight out to shoot live animals. You need to know the real time performance of your loads at say ranges from 100 yards in 50 yard increments out to YOUR MAXIMUM distance.

You need to employ fastidious home load techniques so you are getting single figure ES before its worth bothering with this programme and likewise, if the shooter and rifle haven't got the accuracy - again one would be wasting time and bullets AND it goes without saying that you owe it to your quarry to limit the maximum range you shoot to YOUR OWN limitations.

If you do decide to purchase it, you will be happy with the results, BUT its only worth buying if the rest of the "package" is at the top of the game as well :lol:

Having said that in still conditions, iv'e use it on waterfilled balloons out to 600 yards with first round contact 85% of the time........practice, practice, practice.

In reply to the more "in depth" request on Exbal.

The programme is available from Perry Systems in the US. It is available in PC, Pocket PC and Palm operating system. so you choose what type you want, if you have a HP personal hand held pc then you need Pocket PC, if you have a Palm device then purchase the Palm version.

I have both PC and Palm versions - but i'm anal :lol:

The cost was in the region of £80 for both inc delivery, but that was over six years ago, I've no idea what the cost is now.

In essence when using the hand held device, there are three screens to work through in order to obtain the data for a shot, the first being

BULLET DATA

- this is your MV of your bullet, bullet weight, sight in distance and ballistic coefficient of that bullet.

You set this data EXACTLY to your zero range and using a chronograph use an average figure as the datum point.

2nd Screen FIELD CONDITIONS -

This is the altitude your zero was set at the temp and humidity, if you don't know it then EXBAL takes a sea level reading, which WILL affect the bullet placement on YOUR rifle if entered in correctly (my zero is attained at 1164 ft above sea level)

3 rd screen TARGET ENGAGEMENT -

Vital importance now, this is the EXACT distance to target, wind speed and direct it comes from (ie behind you is 6 o'clock, Left to right would be 9 O'clock and so on) and also Angle to target (if you are on an incline which again affects the actual distance ajustment on the programme)

In essence, once your first two screens are set, you just enter the data from the Target Engagement screen and obtain the ajustment figres on the Exbal results screen which gives you data in IPHY (inches per hundred yards) MILs, MOA or even can be set to specific scopes like the NRPD Reticule on the nightforce scopes.

Sounds Complicated, but it isn't at all, once you get your head around using the programme - which takes an afternoon "play"

The programme can store data for numerous loads - so I have in mine ALL my various rifles and data to support 75g A-Max, 100g Speer FB and BT, 140G A-Max, 140g SST, 142 SMK, and friend data for their rifles etc etc etc.

Tikkaandoehler.jpg

Thats my set up in the pic, the essential items are the rangefinder, PALM, and windmeter (not in pic).

You have to spend time on the range "fudging" the BC a little to get the EXACT results that you get on paper. I certinaly wouldn't advise you got Exbal and once you knew the MV of you bullet you went straight out to shoot live animals. You need to know the real time performance of your loads at say ranges from 100 yards in 50 yard increments out to YOUR MAXIMUM distance.

You need to employ fastidious home load techniques so you are getting single figure ES before its worth bothering with this programme and likewise, if the shooter and rifle haven't got the accuracy - again one would be wasting time and bullets AND it goes without saying that you owe it to your quarry to limit the maximum range you shoot to YOUR OWN limitations.

If you do decide to purchase it, you will be happy with the results, BUT its only worth buying if the rest of the "package" is at the top of the game as well ;)

Having said that in still conditions, iv'e use it on waterfilled balloons out to 600 yards with first round contact 85% of the time........practice, practice, practice.

thanks andy, it sounds very interesting!!!, I will look into this a bit more???? thank you for your reply ;) all the best from wales f2n

Great writeup there andy :lol:;)

All the best................

RAY.................... ;) ;)

Guest Black Dog

Thanks for the info lads, I've just picked up a cheap palm, now to order Exbal.

This seems to be just the thing I need to take my shooting to the next level.

Cheers,

Pete

Archived