New stick.

baldie

I finally got round to finishing the ackley, and went and shot it in, and fireformed 100 cases today.

Its a lawton single shot action, married to a lilja 3 groove 1 in 7" twist barrel, and fluted. Profile is heavy varmint, and its 28" long.

Our own stainless rail.

Jewell br trigger.

Fully bedded in a mcmillan mbr tooley 1000 yard stock, but with an anschutz rail in the flat forend, so i can use it on a bipod as well as a br rest.

The entire gun has had a lot of polish. :D

Shot and cleaned it for 5 rounds, then straight into 5 shot groups. it varied from around an inch, down to half inch groups dependant on powder charge. I started too low really, and it shot better as i approached max loads for a std 22-250. The ackleyed case should now hold a little more, as it showed no pressure signs. These were all loaded at the lands, and obviously there will now be seating depth work to do, as the bullets are 90 grain berger VLD,s

Bad day for shooting. It was perfectly still, but so cold, the slightest bit of heat from the barrel gave terrible heat haze, but nice to be out, and the cases needed forming anyway.

One thing i did find out as i came to resize the necks etc....the redding 22-250 40 degree dies are nothing like what they are described as.... ;)

Looks like the reamer is coming out again.

100_0631.jpg

100_0629.jpg

100_0628.jpg

I haven,t built it for anything specific Ian. I could shoot 600 yards br with it, or mcqueens etc. I just fancied the calibre to be honest. I then decided the barrel would not have a long life, so built it into a br style rifle, so i could rebarrel it it other calibres more suited to long range br at some point. It weighs under 15 lbs so its light gun compliant.

Its basically an exercise in parts, and barrels i have no personal experience of, which helps when recommending bits to customers. Bit of a guinea pig really.

I finally got round to finishing the ackley, and went and shot it in, and fireformed 100 cases today.

Its a lawton single shot action, married to a lilja 3 groove 1 in 7" twist barrel, and fluted. Profile is heavy varmint, and its 28" long.

Our own stainless rail.

Jewell br trigger.

Fully bedded in a mcmillan mbr tooley 1000 yard stock, but with an anschutz rail in the flat forend, so i can use it on a bipod as well as a br rest.

The entire gun has had a lot of polish. :D

Shot and cleaned it for 5 rounds, then straight into 5 shot groups. it varied from around an inch, down to half inch groups dependant on powder charge. I started too low really, and it shot better as i approached max loads for a std 22-250. The ackleyed case should now hold a little more, as it showed no pressure signs. These were all loaded at the lands, and obviously there will now be seating depth work to do, as the bullets are 90 grain berger VLD,s

Bad day for shooting. It was perfectly still, but so cold, the slightest bit of heat from the barrel gave terrible heat haze, but nice to be out, and the cases needed forming anyway.

One thing i did find out as i came to resize the necks etc....the redding 22-250 40 degree dies are nothing like what they are described as.... ;)

Looks like the reamer is coming out again.

100_0631.jpg

100_0629.jpg

100_0628.jpg

wow blinged:-P

you going to aim it anything small & furry/feathery?

still like the idea of a 22/250/22/243 with 75g amax for vermin!

cheers Andy

Beautifully finished Dave.. I'm kinda confused about the number of grooves some barrels have.

Your new stick has 3 grooves. Others on the forum have 5 or 6. What's the pros and pitfalls of many grooves or few ?

Do fewer grooves offer less friction / resistance ? Or few grooves for a slow twist & many for fast?

Grant..

Yes, fewer grooves offer less friction, and supposed jacket damage....in theory. I used it ...because we had it on the shelf...and thats the truth. It just happened to suit the plan i had to use real heavyweight bullets in a 22-250. Its about the only twist that will stabilise a 90 grain bullet.

I also wanted to try another brand of barrel, as i always use borders on my own rifles. Guess what ? its no better than a border, and i will use borders on the next gun, as they are made here, and available a lot easier.

I had to try it, and its a good barrel, but its no better.

Skany,

Its highly unlikely it will be shot at anything other than a target. I,ve let all my foxing go, as i just dont have time anymore. The only thing i want in live shooting now, is some permission to shoot long range crows. I,ve never had it, and its the only shooting i want before i shuffle off this mortal coil.

This gun would be just the ticket methinks.

Nice burner Dave.

I had the same idea as you for when my standard twist 22-250 AI is shot out, a re-barrel in a faster twist (not as fast as yours) to utilise heavier bullets and stretch its range.

In standard form its good for 400yds+ if i do my bit (360yd crow my best so far ) but what i dont want to do is have two long range rifles, i put together my 257 Improved as a LR varmint rifle to pick up where the 22-250 left off.

I am still in two minds but might just go for a 12 twist rather then the 14 i use now.

Ian.

PS. i reckon you should get one of those spigots you bond into the front of the forend to mount a PH style bipod for a much prettier presentation :);)

Just out of interest Ian, Andy etc...what dies are you guys using for your ackley,s ?

I was going to alter the redding ones i have, then i found a lee set for the ackley, which full length sizes my fired cases, absolutely perfectly, and a world away from the redding [ which are now going back]

The lee will get me through until i can make some custom ones.

That was my cunning plan Ian, but i was going to try a couple of Troy Newlon,s die bodies, as they look so good. Cant come up with an idea for a body die though, as it needs an undersized reamer obviously. Do the ackley cases move forward, and need bumping occasionally ?

Have not needed to bump cases yet Dave and i am on 8th reload.

I have seen the Newlon die bodies and they are very nice but are more expensive then off the shelf LE Wilson stuff.

One thing i will say, do not buy Wilson die blanks they are $hite, they have been centerless ground, are less then round and are impossible to clock up true.

Ian.

Thanks for that Ian. I would say if they havent moved forward in eight reloads, they aren't going to . I had planned to junk the 100 cases at 1000 rounds anyway, and get some of the new lapua brass [ these are nosler custom ] so that sounds great news. I,ll get onto newlon i think.

Looks good Dave, should be excellent for the purpose intended although fast reloads may prove frustrating in Mqueens - I find that I have to hand feed the rounds in my own (Tikka) but the feed ramp is not modified and its a repeater

My own 22-250AI is an 8 twist Border tube and its been very very accurate with 75grainers.

I didnt dare go for a 7 twist when I had mine done, I think some are running 6 twist these days....

Dies - I use Redding S die with basic ajusters.

Never had any issue although the Newlon would be better next time as I could cut the chamber with the reamer.

I understand that you can use the finish reamer to do this rather than a re-size reamer.

The idea is to have the die coated afterwards.

I did a 260AI a while back for Rob, the die was cut using the finish reamer and ive had no reported issues with relaoding thus far (14 months down the line)

Not had any issue with shoulder movement, cases on probably at least tenth reload.

Look forward to range report and seeing it in the flesh. :lol:

Archived