my mate got shot in the neck

Funky Bunch

Pete

really baffles me this one, the "people" concerned have (in my interpretation of the law) committed an offence under Sect 16A of the Firearms (posssession of imitation firearm with intent) act, Sect 18 of the same Act (carrying imitation firearm with crimnal intent) AND committed an assault (sect 39 at least (common assault), maybe a Sect 47 (actual bodily harm)), so why they were issued with PND (Penalty Notice for Disorder) is frankly beyond me.

Whilst a BB gun is NOT a Firearm in the terms of the law, it CAN be classed as an imitation if the aggrieved (your mate) believed it to be at the time of the offence.

The recent case in Liverpool will not have any bearing on any case (it shouldn't matter if it was a 6 month old child or a sixty year old that was killed unlawfully, the offence is still the same - murder)

I wonder how the complaint against the force goes?

Personaly i think it is disgracefull that they were let off,its the same with the person that shot the 11 year old in liverpool,when the person responsable gets caught the chances are they will still be of a young age when they get out of prison ,some may or may not agree i think its about time that the police in the troubled areas were armed then perhaps these so called hard gang members would think twice if they also stood the chance of geting there life suddenly snuffed out ,or perhaps do as the yanks do and give apropriate sentences

BB gun not air weapon. Similar to GAT in method of operation (I think)

My point is that any BB gun may be classed as an imitation firearm (like any toy gun) if used in apropriately (like this case)

The PND system is available as a disposal for a limited number of offences but specifically excludes all violent offences. The question for me is what offence was recorded by the police. The police like using PNDs for 'minor' offences because they don't need to prepare full files for court, make an arrest, take offenders to custody etc. Offenders do not acquire a criminal record, it's just like a parking ticket.

This appears to have been a misuse of the system by the police.

Sound like a case of the police playing judge and jurey yet unfortunately not executioner. In my book the police are comiting a crime by not reporting this to the CPS. In the defence of the police it is perhaps a lack of trust or faith in the CPS that has caused them to take this action. Or perhaps they have been told to refer only what they have to because the prisons are full!! Either way in my book in this case the police / legal system are as bad as te perpetrators for leting them get away with it.

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Interesting...

I remember some years back over here where a kid shot at another kid

with a bb gun....what happened after was one of them freak things that happens one in

million...

Anyway...The bb was able to enter between the ribs and enter the lung,and further

penetrate one of the arteries in the lung area,where it was carried by the bloodstream up into

and thru the heart but got lodged in one that goes up into the neck and feeds the brain...

causing a stroke...but the kid died from it...the shooter got charged and sentenced for murder even tho

he was 13 yrs old.

In the case I just mentioned...and in this case...

There is nothing funny,humourus,or joking about it just because they

feel a bb gun is a kids toy....

Awhile back all the toy gun manufactures had to make the toys with an blaze orange

band on the muzzle...reason for that was a few kids got shot by police officers in differant states when

they responded to a 911(life threatening/emergency) call and these kids think its funny to yell "Stick em Up"......The police officers reacted in a manner that the kid really didnt anticpate....and it got the kids killed...This happend in several differant cities.

Recently I saw a case where some teenaged youths decided to saw off the orange muzzle band and attempt to hold up a liquor store.....They were caught and tried...Found Guilty...and the sentance was an unbelievable amount...like 56 yrs.The fear these manipulated toys created...and to set a precedance for any copy cats was the reasoning behind that judges decision...Now theres a smart judge....And the media tried to rally sympythizers and blow it all out of proportion...but to be honest I dont recall hearing of too many more copycat cases like that one.

To hear that these kids...who are old enough to know better and understand the damage that may have been inflicted on the victim...only got off with basically a slap on the wrist not only makes a mockery of the judicial system....but it also shows how well the firearms laws dont work.It clearly shows there are 2 sets of rules....and that those rules will be applied whenever the case calls for it.

Hardly what I would call a fair punishment from a Government that is supposed to have the strictest firearm laws.

I guess the perpatrators should feel very lucky that they dont live in one of our states where the citizens have the right to carry a concealed weapon...Had a citizen seen a muzzle pointing out of a car window.....it might make the obituaries. But I wouldnt bet on that.

308Panther

Hi Panther,

Can i just clarify what is meant by a "BB Gun".

In the states i do believe a BB gun is a type of air rifle/pistol firing spherical projectiles called "BBs" according to their size and are powerful enough to kill small birds at close range.

Here, the term "BB Gun" is used to describe Airsoft that fire plastics BBs which although will give you a noticeable sting are not capable of penerating human skin.

However if used in a felonious way they are automatically classed as firearms

Ian.

Guest 308Panther

You would be correct in what we call a bb gun.. .177cal steel spherical projectile.(Daisy Red Ryder)

Spring or compressed air...ones that fire a .177 or .22 cal pellet we call air rifles.

Obviously it was used outside the manner intended.

And its still a good thing for them they dont live in Texas....

308Panther.

Archived