Got my DSC1 Friday

So, Ive got it this weekend..........up to Thirlemere to go through the motions.

Oh dear.........I hate revising...........Im crap at taking things in from reading a book.

Shoot test will be simple. been out doing the practice and 100mtrs, 70mtrs and 40mtrs, theres not much drop in the round so I will just aim right on and job done. Give it around a inch for the 40mtr shot and the rest fingers crossed should be history.

Anyone got any tales to tell before I go............heard the one about the sika,,,look for the white spot, and the CWD buck and doe and to check for the size of the teeth....

DSC 1 isnt really an attendance test.

You need to read and digest the leaning material be that the book or CD.

50 questions out of a possible 300, all of which are multiple choice; (one obviously wrong, one right and two "could be's" - so not easy either as its designed to make you think)

Best get revising I think :rolleyes:

A good one to remember, which should always be common sense is during the safety part of the test, when the instructor gives you the rifle back remember to look and see if the bolt is open before taking the rifle, a couple of lads failed on that one when I took my level 1.

Make sure you are switched on and not tired on the day.

When I did mine a few of us, me included, said afterwards that a question or two they had got wrong they knew the right answer but for some reason didn't twig at the time.

Don't dismiss the shooting test. It should be easy but things do go wrong. My young one knocked the rifle over in the bedroom and I thought I had got away with it.

First shot .... bang....what...... luckily it was just on the paper, 6 " or so right :rolleyes: . The rule is as long as you stay on that target it is only your first attempt. You can in effect have as many shots as you like, with the assessors agreement of course (not going to stay there all day ;)) I then shot for group. Corrected off this and when happy started the 2nd attempt.

If this happens don't try aiming off, use the attempt to correct.

A good lad called Dave who had shot lots of deer and in practice never had a problem just fell apart and tensed up. He was lucky to pass but it went to the wire and I would have bet on him breezing it.

I found the cd better than the book.

Good luck.

good luck, got mine in 5 weeks and already worried! Not so much about the test as I have sat loads of exams but the shooting does worry me as I know I tense up a lot under that sort of test and it has caused me to fail everything from my driving test to dressage tests :rolleyes:

Lancs Lad

Like Eldon said, do not "dismiss" the shooting test. I have seen experienced stalkers visibly shaking when doing the test. What appears at first quite simple is very different when an assessor is watching you. Take a deap breath and all will be fine and dandy :D

If by any chance you are struggling to identify if a slide is of a Fallow Doe or Sika Hind i was told the following. "If it looks as thick as Pig Sh*t it`s a Fallow, if it looks like you owe it Money it`s a Sika". :rolleyes::D;)

Good luck and keep us posted.

NICK.

Lancs Lad

Like Eldon said, do not "dismiss" the shooting test. I have seen experienced stalkers visibly shaking when doing the test. What appears at first quite simple is very different when an assessor is watching you. Take a deap breath and all will be fine and dandy :D

If by any chance you are struggling to identify if a slide is of a Fallow Doe or Sika Hind i was told the following. "If it looks as thick as Pig Sh*t it`s a Fallow, if it looks like you owe it Money it`s a Sika". :rolleyes::D;)

Good luck and keep us posted.

NICK.

Ha ha...lovin that one........

Cheers for the hints, been going through the book for about 6 weeks or so, doing the deer quest every day so should be ok there, but there are still things in the book that I cant take in......And now I have got man flu and feel like sh1t........................just what I need.

Shooting test will be fine, just forget that others are there. Been on my land doing the practice shooting and dont think that it will be an issue.

Day 1..........all seems to be well so far....................

had a few questions, a few slides on images etc........got majority right.....

doing next lot of study course tomorrow and then the actual test of the images...........shoot test sunday and rest of the exam......

Day 2. Test day.

19 out of 20 on the visuals, just why I thought that piccy of a Red Hind and her kid were CWDs..... I dont know...............

43 out of 50 on the written test.

29 out of 30 on the hygine section.

Practical saftey tomorrow and then the shot test.

worst of it over now mate and with good scores well done

you should get more than enough time on the shooting so just relax dont panic and take your time

as for the safety side just be very observant at all times and watch out for muzzel awareness and be sure to talk out loud as to what your doing and why

good luck

ian

All done and an unnoficial pass from the assessor, just got to wait for the adjudicators now. Should have the cert within a month.

Safety was a pass no problems.

Zeroing.........what a sack of crap................not shot off a bench before, couldnt get comfortable, ended up with an additional shot required for the group and no where near as tight as I wanted, I wasnt happy, but they were classed as a pass.

Deer shots - fine, dead. all shots in a nice string going upwards as I didnt bother adjusting as I knew that they would be within the kill zone.

So thats it. Anyone in the NW area who is looking to do the DSC then I would seriously consider doing it with Laurie Walton up in thirlmere.............boy can his wife look after you in the grub stakes, what a diamond. Laurie is a great teacher, just wish I had more time to discuss with him guy has shot more deer than I have chaged my underpants in my 35 years.....

And the good news too..............We got our lease..................WHOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOO.

Well done.

See what I mean about the shooting test. A lot of people on here I am sure would snigger about a zero group and shots at deer with a 4 inch area but the fact is in the test things sometimes do go to sh7t.

Are you now registering for the level 2 or getting some deer under your belt first?

Eldon, wasnt nerves or anything like that, just didnt like shooting off the bench, coudlnt get myself comfortable. Would have breezed it if I could have done it off the sticks.

As for the DSC2 - Im not one for doing qualifications without getting a bit of experience under the belt.

Im going to do a year first before I put in for the DSC2, and even then, Im not 100% about putting in for that at the end of the year. Is it really necessary. Like school, I was crap then, but experience counts more than a qualification in my book.

We managed to secure a lease on a 4500 acre estate which between 5 or 6 guns will be enough for us to go at and there are a few of the lads who are DSC2s, one of whom has taken me out on a coulple of occasions and who will be a bigger help as I continue through this next year.

There is a hell of a lot to learn, and it was great listening to the guy doing the DSC 1 Course, sooooo much to learn and soooo much to take in.

cant wait to get stuck in....

Good on you but SO envious! Only places I can find to stalk round here either want £100+ per muntie/CWD (who are generally fed to ensure their convenient apperance on queue) plus cost of carcas or are with rather over 'enthusiastic' blokes that I wouldnt trust as far as I can throw :)

Well done on the pass,I have got my dsc1 this month...Did you read the book cover to cover a few times or did you just take in over the lectures,I am the same as you when it comes to revising for stuff ha ha...Ive been out popping a few targets to sharpen up my shooting skills so hopefully i will be ok with that side of the course,its the amount of info in the book that needs to be remembered that has got me worried ha ha

Good on you but SO envious! Only places I can find to stalk round here either want £100+ per muntie/CWD (who are generally fed to ensure their convenient apperance on queue) plus cost of carcas or are with rather over 'enthusiastic' blokes that I wouldnt trust as far as I can throw :(

Thats a bit excessive, forrestry commision leases are only about 100 per Roe per cull, wouldnt pay that for muntie or CWD.

Land that we have got is a private estate and we have had to work hard at getting that, but its a nice plot, 5 years and other stuff to follow.

Heres to March 1st.

Well done on the pass,I have got my dsc1 this month...Did you read the book cover to cover a few times or did you just take in over the lectures,I am the same as you when it comes to revising for stuff ha ha...Ive been out popping a few targets to sharpen up my shooting skills so hopefully i will be ok with that side of the course,its the amount of info in the book that needs to be remembered that has got me worried ha ha

Would definately get the deer quest CD mate and do the test each and every day, Gen up on your Law, Recognition, Ecology.

I went through the book highlighting loads, but loads that wasnt necessary. I did the lecture and tests on a one to one basis and that was a good bonus, luckily my tutor didnt mind doing a one on one. The deer quest will get you used to the questions.

I started that without reading and doing the test to see what my scores were, then read and then test.

You will then get used to the "test" questions.

Good luck.

Archived