I'm just getting into the long range varminting

at the moment, and whilst I know from

reading that time on paper is essential how

useful are the ballistic programs. If I start to

develop a load how useful a tool are the

programs and which are the best?

Regards,

Gandy

If you want internal ballistcs and theoretical loads etc you want Quickload. I dont use it myself as I cant afford it but its highly recommended as I'm sure others will testify.

External ballistics for drop tables etc I use either Nightforce Ballistics for PC or windows mobile. Sierra Infinity Suite 6 (PC) or Exbal. I hope to have a copy of Sierra Infinity mobile for test soon.

They all have their place NF ballistics is good and others swear by Quickload. Theres nothing to beat real world testing though.

MArk

MArk

I've used QuickLoad and the sister program, QuickTarget, for several years now and rate it very highly.

The former is an internal ballistics program that can save you a lot of time, effort and risk in suggesting safe loads for your rifle. I've found it to be remarkably accurate for nearly all test loads often predicting velocities to within a few feet per second.

QuickTarget is the exterior ballistics part of the package and similarly I've found it to be very good with long-range shooting usually within a click or two of the predicted sight setting.

Highly recommended.

I also use Quickload and Quicktarget but find once you have your load worked up then they are redundant except for making drop charts. So its handy for playing what iffs with different componets such as powder or bullets etc.

Here is a better drop chart and its free, you will need to know the velocity of your load and the ballistic co efficient of the bullet you are using, this you should be able to find on the bullet manufacturers web site

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

This also gives you the amount of clicks for a given drop/drift that Quick target does not. I use this one, I think it can only be bettered by hand held palm tops running Exbal.

A

Archived