.17 Mach 2

After having a pop at some squirels at the weekend with me .22 lr and getting mad at the buggers running off from direct hits I fancy an explosive round.

I have a sako finnfire that I can source a lothar walther barrel in .17 Mach 2 for.

Does any one use this round?

Its only meant to be an explosive .22lr for me and not a loing range tool.

Dave

It would be a shame to beggar up a finfire by fitting the 17 mach2 barrel ( very much a dying round too, popularity is low everywhere), better to swap it for a quad in 17hmr .

But I shoot a lot of squirrels every year using either eley subs hp or the winchester sub hp and I have no runners. I use a 10/22T ruger as well and it does the job as well, but I go for a middle body shot and dont bother trying for head shots etc. Out to 80 yds it kills every time, I used to use winchester Rabbit ammo for the longer shots as the drop worked in perfectly with the 60yd zero for the subs and I could still "aim on" out to 80-90yds, sadly they stopped doing it.

As said the Finnfire is worth more as it is as a classic, so much so it is rumoured Sako are thinking of re-introducing it as the demand is still there.

Redfox

It would be a shame to beggar up a finfire by fitting the 17 mach2 barrel ( very much a dying round too, popularity is low everywhere), better to swap it for a quad in 17hmr .

But I shoot a lot of squirrels every year using either eley subs hp or the winchester sub hp and I have no runners. I use a 10/22T ruger as well and it does the job as well, but I go for a middle body shot and dont bother trying for head shots etc. Out to 80 yds it kills every time, I used to use winchester Rabbit ammo for the longer shots as the drop worked in perfectly with the 60yd zero for the subs and I could still "aim on" out to 80-90yds, sadly they stopped doing it.

As said the Finnfire is worth more as it is as a classic, so much so it is rumoured Sako are thinking of re-introducing it as the demand is still there.

Redfox

For the cost of the barrel circa £150 and ammo at £5.50 for 50 i'm going to give it a go. From what I am lead to believe is can be swapped back with no issues. I point blank refuse to pay £460 for a CZ 452 17hmr when my father paid .........£230 for the same rifle 4 years ago.

I was using my favoured 10/22 with winchester subs on the squirrels and they just shook it off. The finnfire is my fathers but he has not used it since aquiring the 17hmr hence me looking into the mach 2.

I thought the same as Redfox, about the hm2....until i tried one. Its a phenomenal little round, and does exactly what you describe, at the ranges you describe. It hasn,t the legs of the hmr, but thats a positive advantage.

I can only remember us selling 3 or 4 of them, but they all went to guys doing rabbit control on golf courses, where a 100 yard capable bullet was required, with far less chance of ricochet.

Do your homework first on ammo availability however. Its not common, and i wouldn,t like to hazard a guess how much longer it will be out there. This is why there is the cheap blue tipped hmr ammo out there.....those bullets WERE intended for the hm2.

As Baldie states, It's a cracking little round - i had a Sako Quad witha .17mach II barrel and it was fantastic ( wish i never sold it- but needs must :rolleyes: ) - Cheap to feed ( near enough same price as .22lr) and a brilliant 100-150yrd bunny gun.

After having a pop at some squirels at the weekend with me .22 lr and getting mad at the buggers running off from direct hits I fancy an explosive round.

I have a sako finnfire that I can source a lothar walther barrel in .17 Mach 2 for.

Does any one use this round?

Its only meant to be an explosive .22lr for me and not a loing range tool.

Dave

I found Eley works much better than Winchester on squirrels.

I am surpised that you are having trouble dropping a squirrel which weight less than half a bag of sugar using a 22 LR.

I have flattened hundreds of squirrels with my Finnfire - and a solid hit switches them off instantly.

However I can see the attraction of using a round that has less potentail for bouncing and offers a bit more range.

but I wouldn't #### up a top rifle for the sake of a few squirrels

All the best

Alan

As baldie has said and I mentioned, this is not popular anywhere and the word is ammo will cease to be available soon you have then crapped up a good rifle for nothing. As I said if he doesnt want it, sell it as they are in demand and buy a 20 Tac or 17Hmr second hand for the same or less money, its a no brainer really.

Redfox

I Understand the issue with popularity if I see signs of the round being pulled I can always bulk buy. I'm not worried about messing up the rifle, you can easily fit the old barrel without the need for a rifle smith therefore returning it to orgional spec. I was hitting the squirrels shoulder at 60 yards and then pissed off with a quick shake. My 10/22 hates anything except winchster ammo or I would give the eleys a go.

And for £150 I think it's worth checking out something different.....

Choice is yours my friend, although I would guess your already too late for the bulk buy.

If the Ruger cant hack it why not try eley in the finnfire which has a better barrel anyway and always gives more fps from any given ammo than the Ruger or the CZ.

I would suggest if they shake and run off that you arent hitting them in the vitals, as I said I always middle them as I want to kill them and not for eating :rolleyes:

Redfox

Archived