new scope

huntsman

I was in a gunshop yesterday and saw a zeiss diavari with illuminated reticule. I think it was Rapid z 600 reticule??The scope was 3-12x56. I was thinking of it for my sako 6ppc and replace the nsx 5.5-22x56. This rifle /scope combo works well but its a balls to carry around with t8 and bipod. I not sure if it was 1st or 2nd focal plane, didn't realise till I got home and looked it up that this was an option. but I don't think the reticule got any bigger so I assume its 2nd.

Obviously the glass is going to be better in the zeiss, but will this scope suit long range bunny bashing ,foxing etc .Can they be got with open dialable turrets. The only other option is to consider a VX111 - 6.5-20x50, but that might be a step backwards /sideways!!

thanks

Hey buddy ,

Hope you dont mind me saying................

Remember the term - " if it aint broke then dont fix it " :unsure::D

You have got a superb setup so why change it!! :D

All the best............

RAY...................

Dave, I'm quite sure the 3-12 zeiss is first focal plane.

If you want to save weight, have better optics than NF, 2nd FP and target turrets.

One of the only ones that ticks the boxes is the 6.5-20x50 conquest.

Shot plenty deer with mine now at very low light. NOT a S&B, but close.

Yesterday morning.. very first light..

DSCN0152.jpg

edi

You seem to be thinking of a change to save weight. The Ziess only weighs about 4ozs less than your NF, that is my book is a gain hardly worth having. Optics are better in low light yes but the illuminated reticule on the NF makes up for a lot of that. You might save some weight using lighter mounts maybe, one of my sets are 14ozs !!

Before you jump you might to to see what NF have up their sleeve for this year, the ret looks nice for a snap shot at charlie. Think I prefer my NP2DD though, at least at present.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...341#Post1559341

Put your ballistic info into the free Exbal software at the bottom of the NF link and see. Put my 20 in and the bars are more or less dead on to 600 yards.

Luepold is not optically in the same class as either of the other two, solid and well enginneered yes but optically in a lower league. Conquest good as it undoubtedly is has no warrenty support either here or in Europe so its a major issue of it goes wrong.

A

Point taken about trying to get lighter mounts. Opti-locs are a bit heavy but they have never left me down.

There is a bit more than 4oz of a difference though, the nsx is 32oz and the zeiss is 19-20 oz.

Edi you know I like your scope but inch tube is not for me. you really need to get a stock for that rifle :o even the deer is looking away from it :rolleyes: . Is that the one you got yesterday?

Dave,

yes, got that one on Sat morning. Didn't see much after that and we walked a bit.

Stock is horrible but very comfy. Bedded top and bottom and shoots quite ok.

Hope to have the new one in a week or two.

Once I have the stock changed you can have a go with it.

edi

Dave,

yes, got that one on Sat morning. Didn't see much after that and we walked a bit.

Stock is horrible but very comfy. Bedded top and bottom and shoots quite ok.

Hope to have the new one in a week or two.

Once I have the stock changed you can have a go with it.

edi

Sorry to chime in

I think the scope you saw is the new Zeiss 2nd focal plane with Rapid Z reticle

In a way its the European version of he Z600 with slight modification

Have a look at uttings listing.

• 1 month later...

I have this scope on my .243 and I love it. Have used for target shooting to date but bought with a view to deer shooting.

I have spent some time on the range working out exactly how much difference various bullets make to the markings on the reticule. I like the idea of not having to fiddle about adjusting the scope in the field. That said I am not entirely convinced that it would be accurate enough for rabbit at very long ranges and on the .243 would say that I would probably only use the reticule to 400 so 2 markings are not required.

Archived