sako scope mounting options

.243happymeal

Maybe a picatiny rail (If they make a long action rail) and mounts from Recknagel in Germany. These are of good quality.

Of course not that cheap either.

or only the rail and any old picatiny mounts.

I had enough from optilocks, just too heavy.

edi

Edi

I dont follow that logic :blush: picatinny rail and two rings must weigh more than a pair of Optilocks!!

I have a new pair in the box, I will weigh them after. Me I still like them better than a lot of the rubbish on the market, they do them to fit the picatinny rail by the way.

I dont mind the Leupold/Burris,Weaver, twist lock types they do the job but wont be clamping them on a £1000 plus scopeanytime soon as they do mark them, the Hillver rubbish absolutely destroy the scope tube with the internal teeth idea.

Lets face it if the rings fit the tube properly they wont slip anyway and yes the recknagel are nice rings as are the apels, but I think a tad too expensive for this application.

Redfox

Optilock bases and medium rings will fit.

NEAR makes a rail for that action (III is a short action) but is spendy.

Weaver ringmounts would be to my mind at least the best option. I have them on a Leupold LRT and the lows JUST clear the barrel with a 50mm scope. You'd need mediums.

I got some secondhand optilocks off here for £45.

Sako action and all that it has to be worth spending a bit on mounts. You could waste a ton of ammo to come to this conclusion :blush:

I have now weighed them as follows:-

30mm Optilocks complete 198.8 grammes

1" Optilocks complete 168.3 grammes

1" Redfield rings with Picatinny rail 203.6 grammes (these are light weight rings )

I have another set of Badger on picatinny rail which are with a friend at the moment.

Redfox

Red,

I never had problems with optiloks. Hated the weight. Had the high version.

The aluminium rail I have is light, never weighed it though.

The aluminium rings are also light. Overall maybe only a small saving. But..

I can now quickly change scopes between rifles and have spare scopes in the

drawer with mounts attached. Everything works now between a remmy and a sako rifle.

Scope change now without needing to level.

Vorsprung durch technik....

HWH, I even changed my buttpad to save 60 grams.

wouldn't save on bullets though, never sacrafice on performance.

But I presume you would admit that a rifle without a scope is much

lighter and easier to handle or?

I have made replacement stocks that saved the weight equivalent of a stalking scope. That's when

weight savings start to pay off.

edi

edi.

Why do you wish to change scopes between rifles and have spare scopes and mounts in a drawer ?

Are you a witless weirdi ?

If you are worried about a few ounces in weight how do you manage to drag a stag off the hill ?

HWH.

:rolleyes:

HWH,

well for some maybe rightly weirdi.

But I've worked with high performance materials since many years and

now also develop and make lightweight rifle stocks as a small sideline thing.

Is a unnecessary heavy rifle something to brag about??

Change scopes between rifles? Well yes, because we can't easily (by law) have as much guns as we

please. I have only two rifles. This means if for example, we have to take out deer out of heavy cover I change to a very light fixed mag scope on my 308. If only does and calfs are around it goes onto my 243.

Picking off crows and fox at longer ranges in the summer I use a 6.5-20 x50 scope on the 243.

If lamping foxes I prefer a flash dot S&B on the 243. and so on..

Zeroing is no problem as we are set up for that.

Weight of kit and gear? Like many others I'm not an exteme sports person, knees knackered

and well over 40. Yes lighter kit allows me to walk further. A 1/2" light rifle is of course more valuable than a 1/2"

heavy rifle. The performance is better.

Oh, and I did shoot and drag two deer off a hill this week.

edi

When your Irish law changed in about 1993 after 20 years or so of .22cfs for deer I sold my trusty .30-06 Mauser Mod.77 [ used here in the UK] with Kahles 3-9X40 scope and bought a new .270 Carl Gustaf topped by a Swarvoski 3-12X56 steel Nova scope to comply with your new calibre legislation.

Even though it has Apel detachable mounts I have NEVER taken it off the rifle and have shot six species of deer with it plus furry and feathered vermin in multitude.

On my recently sold Sako .243 Varminter I had a Swarvoski 6-20X50 .

My Tikka T3 has an 8-32X50 scope on it , not because I wanted that much mag. but because it was offered at a very, very low price.

The Sako Varminter .308 has a Swarvoski `A Line` 6-18X50 scope.

All these variable scopes have shot stags, hinds, calves, bucks, does, fawns, crows , foxes, rabbits etc. and I have never had the need or inclination to swap them about as you do.

Both Sako rifles plus the Tikka have the superior Optiloc mounts.

HWH.

Archived