Speed Slings/Rifle Support Aid

Guest ben

Hi guys - am new to this site and must say that there is a wealth of information here and I am looking forward to browsing and contributing as best I can. I do a lot of field rifle shooting and am always looking to improve my technique and thus stability to assist me with shots taken in the field with and without a bipod and sticks from all positions.

The one piece of kit that I have not tested or used is a 'Speed Sling' such as Brownells Latigo or Tactical Intervention type. I have also looked at (via web) the Safari Sling (Std 2 point mounting) and the 3 point mounting Ching Sling by Galco International. Our US colleagues seem to utilise a variation on the M1907 service rifle sling and I am wondering if I should be using such an aid.

In real terms I am looking to use an additional aid to 'brace-up' my entire shooting position so I may squeeze off a better aimed shot from a 'calmer'shooting position ensuring better consistency in shot placement - especially at increased ranges.

Any advice on what seems to work in practical field shooting and hunting situations would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance, Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Ben

FWIW, over the years I have drifted further and further from the idea that bipods etc are required for DEER stalking. Making no bones here - for foxing/varminting from a static position or off the bonnet, a BR Swivel Harris is the mutt's pride n' joy.

I have been bitten by the deer bug and, after losing the largest Red ever to walk this earth ( in my eyes at the time! :D ) swore off using a rifle mounted bipod. The next move was to experiment with various stick formats as most of my shooting involves peeking over or through cover of some description. Which leaves the very occasional longer range pot from a prone position.

The answer for me turned out to be a plain 'mountain sling' by Uncle Mike simply looped up as a 'Hasty' sling.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/mountain-sling.html

Selected this as it was wide enough to make a 10lb rig comfortable to carry. Non stretchy, so that once adjusted for length you can really bear down against it. Quiet for the 99% of the time while you are sneaking through brush and with the benefit of a simple adjuster buckle that stays set.

This article goes into plenty of detail on the various options

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sling.htm

It is interesting to note that though the Military accept an improvement of some 40% in grouping - their preference remains with making use of a support as opposed to a sling. This is mostly because getting into a sling can take a bit of time, involve a reasonable amount of movement, is not the most comfortable fire position to maintain........ and finally is a position that takes a bit more time to move from.

Most of these issues will not concern the deer stalker - though there is another option that is literally 'at hand' - to allow that dead stable prone position.

Having identified your target with binoculars - I always switch to the rifle scope, watch, and fire as soon as a shot presents.

It is a simple matter to slide the binoculars forward, to stand under the fore end. The rubber eye cups providing a surface that cushions the rifle, while gripping it enough that my supporting arm can curl back and take a grip on the rear sling swivel. BTW - I have a pair of Butler Creek lens covers that flip closed to protect the objectives on the glasses.

Accuracy potential? Well, the hasty sling will allow minute of crow at 200yds...... while the bino's allow minute of angle! :D

Enjoy your shooting whatever you end up with - I find that the less I carry, the more I enjoy the hills!

Rgds Ian ;)

Archived