Panasonic Lumix FZ38

brown dog

Been playing with the new toy over the last couple of days.

Quietly amazed so far. (Remember this is only a c£300 camera!)

Here are a few egs (I think they lose a bit in the translation to photobucket!):

Panorama (4 pics stitched together):

FergusvalleyPanorama2.jpg

Following pics are in pairs. Feet planted in the same spot; zooming from min to max.

(Optical zoom only).

Distance to maniacs c 100m

P1000026.jpg

P1000027.jpg

Distance to pup c 20m

P1000105.jpg

P1000101.jpg

Distance to house c 1km (zoomed in optically and then cropped photo of house on PC to assess detail)

P1000083.jpg

enhancedcropP1000080.jpg

Very impressive optical zoom brown dog with nice clarity. I usually find it is the zoom that lets things down with digital zoom not worth a w4nk. After all you can digital zoom it afterwards on the PC but like everything else start with a pile of rubbish and its all uphill or impossible to a satisfactory result. Rubbish in rubbish out.

Nice panorama view.

Might have to have a look at one myself.

• 3 months later...

nice loking pictures there brown dog, may be after a camera in the next month or two so could well belooking at one of these models

• 2 weeks later...

mut say that the zoom is very good ,i do a bit my self but use the cannon d400 which is ok ,one tip i can give is take as many pics as you can of what ever you are taking a pic of, then pick out the best ones later on you computer thats how the big boys do it ..

• 1 year later...

hey brown dog i have one of these camera's too and i have to admit they are awesome. the even let you record in HD (720p) Which can be handy ;)

J

There are heaps of reasonable options out there now.

I recently bought a Fujifilm HS10 ultra-zoom especially for our trip to Africa in a couple of weeks. About the size of a compact SLR and quite light. Cost me about 260 quid here. It has a 30X optical zoom which translates to a 35-equiv range of 24-720mm. I was sceptical of the usability of the top end but even with a half-reasonable rest (not BR quality..), it produces some stunning telephoto images, no doubt helped by the supposedly triple stabilisation. Some camera-keen mates have been very impressed by some long-range shots I've taken. Also does hi-res video and panoramas.

Also was forced to replace my pocket camera recently when my faithful T200 Sony was stolen out of my checked-in case at LA airport :angry:

Made the mistake of getting a new model Olympus which was returned for refund the following day, such were the crappy results even in good conditions let alone the low-light shots. Ended up with a TZ8 Panasonic Lumix which has a Leica lens. Not as slim as the Sony was but def still top pocket size. Has 12X optical zoom plus additional "overzoom" as well as the usual vid, etc. Very hapopy with how it's going so far. Hopefully my wife will use it Africa to give it a workout.

Chris_NZ

Archived