Rifle cleaning

When cleaning my rifles I usually push the patch through, using a spear tip jag. Then remove the patch and unscrew

the jag beofre withdrawing the cleaning rod in readiness for the next patch.

My question is.....is there any need to remove the jag before withdrawing the rod? Or is it OK to withdraw the rod

with the jag still attached?

Guest varmartin

What is it you guys think you are going to hurt pulling a brass jag back through the barrel at 1 fps ,that

A copper bullet doing 3000 fps is not going to hurt?? :lol:

Martin

What is it you guys think you are going to hurt pulling a brass jag back through the barrel at 1 fps ,that

A copper bullet doing 3000 fps is not going to hurt?? :D

Martin

the only thing i bother with and treat with kid gloves is my crown.i just feed it by the crown carefully,then pull it back out the same as it went in - the patch

ATB

Colin :D

Guest varmartin

I totally agree with you with regards looking after the crown, its probably the most important part of the barrel.

I always leave the jag or brush on, but pay great attention to keeping the rod clean-wiping it down every time it is inserted into the barrel. ( grit can be picked up by the rod/solvent if placed on the bench )

As Col said , I also push the jag in past the crown first carefully then withdraw the rod, but feel it is not necessary to remove any thing from the rod exposing the steel threaded end.

Tikka, what bore guide do you use ? i use the delrin type from Sinclair with an O ring to seal the chamber from solvents.

Martin

I used to unscrew my jags and brushes before pulling them back through, what i found happened was the coating on the very end of my rod (pardon me) wore off from rubbing on the barrel and left the steel of the rod bare running through the barrel which is probably 10 times more danergous than a brass jag, leave it on it will be fine. I also clean the rod every single time it comes out of the rilfe, when you pull back through just go easy past the crown and youll be fine. I think we all worry to much about cleaning i am guilty of it too, when I first got my cooper everytime I cleaned it I thought that I was doing it wrong, I believe now with a good rod guide (I use a mike lucas rod), a coated rod and a bit of thought and cant you cant really do much harm

I Have never pulled a brass brush through, I barely use brushes but when I do I use nylon and have seen no problems from pulling it back through, I barely let the tip of the brush poke out the end then reverse, in my opinion the brush isnt lifting much dirt with it just lossening it for the patch coming afterwards, everyone has there own ways, my rifle still shoots very well after many cleanings so I am happy with my method's. Unscrewing the brush after every stroke makes the process much longer, I used to do it but for all the brushing I do since I started using montana extreme 50bmg I dont think its worthwhile.

Guest 308Panther
I used to use the withdrawl method but found out it was much more fun leaving it in :D

I too, prefer to leave it incider.....

308Panther

Archived