Scope choice help

kernel gadaffi

I'm changing the scope on my CZ 550 American in .243 and due to financial restrictions and chrimble on the close horizon I don't have a lot of options, but I've enough stashed away from 'er indoors to allow me to buy an MTC Viper which I like the look of and which get very good reviews, should the choice be the 4-16 or 6-24? I have shot deer with the .243 (when invited and I also have the option of a Tikka T3 6.5X55 topped with an S&B 8X56 for that purpose) and vermin (fox, crow etc).

What does the team think?

I've been trying out a Falcon Menace 4.5-14x44 FFP on my .243 and for the money, I've been very impressed. Target Turrets which track accurately, side wheel parallax and a first focal plane reticule, which even at 14x magnification is not too thick that you can't see what you're shooting at.

Optically it's very good too. Obviously for the price, it ain't going to be a match for a Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski but certainly seems on a par with previous Leupolds I've owned. I've used it to lamp foxes succesfully and had no trouble tracking them on the edge of the lamp beam until they stopped for a shot.

I don't how strong the internals are or what materials they are constructed off, so only time will tell how it holds up to a constant battering from the .243 but certainly happy with it so far. :)

i had one on my 22/250 for a bit and it hold zero fine. optics where good for the money. i had the 4x16x50 this is more then enough.

from what i have been reading is the 24 mag one whites outabit on full mag. i hear this alot ? i didnt have that problem with the 16 mag scope so couldnt tell you.

for a nice flat shooting 243 i would get something with a standard crosshair as the xmas recticial of the mtc mite put you off bit. i could only see out to about 180 yards at night clear also with the mtc under a lamp.

if it was me i would look for a secondhand swaro in fixed mag or s&b fixed mag you can pic them up for arounbd 260. i no that is more but worth it in long run

believe me, none of the mtc scopes are 'optically on par with leupolds' and the build quality is average at best.

there ok for cheap scopes but that is excactly what they are, if you can pick up a second hand one cheaply all well and good, but for the price of a new one you could get some good 2nd hand glass.

If your heart is on one of the magnifications mentioned I would go for the 4 - 16.

This is for a number of reasons but the main one is that any imperfections or lack of quality will be more obvious with more mag and so the lesser option may make it less noticeable and more acceptable.

I find that that range is more than acceptable in most predicaments and usually means a more compact unit, but that is a personal preference thing and you may or may not agree.

A lot of 'reviews' in mags these days are pitched to be attractive to supportive advertising !!, You would be far better to listen to advice here as you have done rather than what you read in some of the mags.

Looking at the prices of MTC (of which I know nothing!!) then I guess you are looking at £200 for the scope or a shade more.

Have a look here

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%20S_H%20STOCK%20LIST.pdf

There is a couple of S&B 6x42s and an 8x56 that maybe a bit over the budget, on page two there is a Tasco Titan at £90. I have seen reports that these were excellent scopes, far better than the normal Tasco quality.

Those 6x42s will see you ok to maybe 300 yards with a bit of aim off. If you want quality that will stand up to abuse, rain etc as well as target turrets, graduated reticule etc then you will have to be paying more money. For what I think is your budget the 6x42 S&B will be a far better bet than your proposed scope, Trade in value will also be only maybe £30 less than you paid for it when you can afford to trade up a bit. Your MTC will then be worth Zilch IMHO.

A

Kernel,

Its always difficult to advise people when you are fortunate enough to own good gear oneself, without sounding condescending.

Believe me, i,ve had times when i couldn,t afford the pot to piss in, and understand your predicament financially.

However, personally, i wouldn,t buy an mtc. They are basically an airgun scope, and i dont mean that condescendingly either. Airguns and firearms require totally different scopes. You will find most airgun scopes dont have enough adjustment for firearms ranges, and the parallax wont cut it either at long range....it was meant for airgun ranges basically.

One of my close friends and shooting buddies, reviews scopes for all the mags, and i would say there isn,t a more knowledgeable man in this field in the uk. I wont name him, but he wouldn,t touch an mtc with a bargepole.

As previously mentioned, find a s/h s+b 8x56, or a 6x42. There are always plenty about, and the hungarian models are even cheaper, and identical to the german. Try york guns, they always have plenty of s/h scopes.

Most definatly have a look at that tasco titan. These were truly excellent scopes that were genuine Japan models. Optically superior to any cheap scope, and better than a leupold in my opinion. They suck light in like you wouldn,t believe.

Archived