Leupold mk 4 focus

eldon

I have just purchased a second hand Leupold mark 4 illuminated reticle 4.5-14x50 and have a query I hope someone can answer.

The ocular focus bell is to me a little too loose and easily moved. With the butler creeks fitted these make this looseness more obvious and the opened cover moves rotationally with ease.

Unless i have missed something how can this be locked at the desired spot ?

Alternatively is there a way to make it stiffer? ;)

I have just purchased a second hand Leupold mark 4 illuminated reticle 4.5-14x50 and have a query I hope someone can answer.

The ocular focus bell is to me a little too loose and easily moved. With the butler creeks fitted these make this looseness more obvious and the opened cover moves rotationally with ease.

Unless i have missed something how can this be locked at the desired spot ?

Alternatively is there a way to make it stiffer? ;)

Has someone removed the locking ring from your scope ?

TC

There doesn't appear to be a locking ring and there is no exposed threads like you normally see. I think this is because the bell with it being illuminated is different.

Unless I am missing something ;)

No it was a valid comment TC.

I was expecting something similar to you but it is not so on the illuminated version. On these the ocular lens can be wound out as far as you want as they can't be screwed off as in some cheap scopes. I suppose this is obvious when you think about it so as to retain the purge gas.

Anybody any thoughts?

With a secondhand leupold 'not doing what it should' I'm sorry, but the first thought that pops into my mind is: Have you been sold one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M1-4-5-14X50-Long-Ra...=item33576ba9af

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources...erfeit-warning/

aahhh I'm one step in front brown dog, I checked that possibility before I bought it.

Had a look on the leupold site about the chinese copies.

Gold emblem on the side parallax, the writing on the front rim and the serial number etc are the distinguishing features.

Its not a real problem I just wish the focus ring was stiffer or lockable.

Anybody with an illuminated mark 4 to pass comment.

I think you will find that on those models it is intended to be a fast focus system and not lockable.Make sure reticule does not dance around the sight picture when adjusting or moving the adjustment ring from side to side as this is bad news and can sometimes happen on 2nd focal plane type scopes!!!!!! even on the expensive ones.

Cheers onehole I think you may have the design sussed.

I contacted leupold to be told the current queue for assistance was 2 weeks :)

TC the design is such that no threads are seen even if full out. You and I were both on the same wavelength regarding the design. I thought this time I would try an illuminated reticle and would have preferred a positive lock but so be it.

If this is how it is intended then I am happy with it, funny how when it is in your hand you don't think about certain things till it is on the rifle.

With the benefit of peoples experience on this site I thought it worth checking, thanks.

You can't beat real testing to iron out the pro's and con's of one set up over another.

What is the real advantage of a "quick focus eyepiece" surely once it is set for the user it stays that way for years (until your eyes change) ?

Archived