The Whole Shooting Match Mods

Guest Hoot

There is actually a dedicated British Standards test for sound moderators. suppressors or whatever you want to call them tested under laboratory conditions

Whether this has been replaced with an ISO standard i do not know but i do believe that this standard test is not used by the trade.

In my veiw untill moderators get an official industry recognised test conducted under lab conditions we can only take what the manufacturers say about which is the quietest with a pinch of salt.

Or does someonelse now otherwise?

Ian.

Ok, I wasnt going to say anything on this but I have a view.

What is the function first and formost of the moderator, ANY moderator?

Hearing protection yes?

So as long as the moddy in use is giving that degree of supression what does it matter?

Ok I like A-TECs, I sell A-TECs because I think they are very good quality and they have been around a long time, however, the product has also moved with the times utilising modern techniques of manufacture. The noise reduction is also very very good.

It does what it says on the tin and more. Now I know some guys are running these on magnum rifles and I have to say what a difference they make to the muzzle raport.

BUT the most important thing is, is your hearing safe? If the answer is yes then it matters not what moddy you buy. You buy what you like the look of, what you can afford, what others are using, what is easy to clean without to much hassle or even what is stock at your retailer.

Col, your a damn book worm man, good post good read. :P

Kal

Colin,

I'm not sure if I understood you right,

I thought the manufacturers of moderators

mentioned a noise reduction of 28 - 30 db

which means its still over 100 db which makes

more sense. This is only for a split second so possibly

Ok for H&S freaks.

edi

Colin,

I'm not sure if I understood you right,

I thought the manufacturers of moderators

mentioned a noise reduction of 28 - 30 db

which means its still over 100 db which makes

more sense. This is only for a split second so possibly

Ok for H&S freaks.

edi

hi edi

The A-Tec Standard suppressor reduces sound emissions by 26 to 30 dB (depending on ammunition type), and significantly reduces recoil and eliminates muzzle flash. The result is a weapon firing full power ammunition, with a muzzle signature lower than that of an unsuppressed .22 rim fire rifle (depending on Calibre).

All standard 308 Win rifles tested with the A-Tec Standard suppressor comply with the latest personal noise exposure limit set by European Directive 2003/10/EC (140 Pa or 137 dB©).

hope this helps

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/noisindx.htm

colin

Guest northernchris

Mil spec dont mean that which promotes growth and vigour mate,as with ANY test equipent it is only as good as the user and the test condition being consistant.The mods that are avalible at the mo are at best poor compared to what could be produced.I have spent ALOT of time looking at a formula to work out a chart for expansion chamber size for EACH cal of rifle as the is a DIRECT link between case cap,bore dia and mod size.The materls in use in all production mods is also very poor,why aren't we useing plastics and proper coatings,anodising as some of you know just can,t cut the mustard when used for baffles.

Mil spec dont mean that which promotes growth and vigour mate,as with ANY test equipent it is only as good as the user and the test condition being consistant.

hi Chris

now please don't take this the wrong way -, as a class you as a friend

but please read this before you make statements like that above.

http://hfetag.dtic.mil/docs-hfs/mil-std-1474d.pdf

this is the reason y all mods that are to be taken seriously have to all be tested the same and in the same way.

IE US MIL-STD-1474D

ATB

Colin ;)

Guest northernchris

In your own words Col

" i do have access to a sound meter, but it is not a mil speck one "

EVEN if you had a "MIL SPEC" one Col it dont mean they are the best far from it!!!

You where talking about a piece of test equipment NOT a "test procedure" which that PDF is about. Read my post again!!!!!! I mean test them all under the same test conditions and use the data i.e FACT and NOT percvieced noise.

Col you not got owt else to do apart from trying to pic a fight...........................................................................

I have had an idea why dont you get the instruction book out for your knife and give it a quick read again!!!!!!!

Laters mate ;)

US MIL-STD-1474D

is what they test the mods under,the same conditions, the same type of sound equipment

as i said in one of my many posts on this subject.

this is fast becoming an industry standard. ;):P

strange how when people are proved wrong they result to petty comments. ;):P;)

but if you say it don't mean that which promotes growth and vigour,then i guess they will have to re write it.

now i think this is enough for me on this subject,play nice chaps

ATB

Colin :D

Guest northernchris

Where have you proved me wrong,must try and find my glasses.

QUOTE(col48 @ Aug 23 2007, 12:48 PM)

" i think the best way to do it is by ear, as it matter not what a meter says,if you can not tell the difference between the 2 mods with your ears"

ATB

Colin

So you think the sound mods are cutting edge we are useing at the mo????? no way

Pic your toys up Col arnt you abit old for chucking teddies??????????? ;)

Colin

Its fairly clear that you understand very little of what you copy and paste.

But that's understandable given the nature of the subject.

On the returned Atec mod front I think you'll find that Pete mentioned having issues regarding his somewhere in one of his posts in this thread.

One would assume that he purchased it from you, hence the question regarding the numbers that have been returned.

Pete always happy to eat Humble pie given its origins. That being a stalkers pie made from the lesser cuts of venison and the "umbles" or offal i.e. kidney, liver and heart.

I don't think I would want cream with it though. ;):P

Archived