Ruger 77 VT

Following on from my other thread on .204 rifle choice, I have now made a decision and ordered a Ruger mk11 VT in .204 from my local shop.

So now I need to decide what work if any needs to be done

As far as the stock goes has anyone any experience of this rifle and what improvement have you found from say floating, pillar bedding and or Devcon bedding. Should I do one or the other or all. Perhaps I should do nothing at all to the stock and just swap/stone the trigger.

Many thanks

Mike

I have a mate (yes really I do) who has a Ruger with stainless action / barrel in a composite stock (22-250) he bought it new last year and so it might be the model you are buying- or maybe not.

What strikes me about that model is that there is a large amount of flex in the stock around the action interface and barrel channel, which would be eradicated if bedded. The barrel chanel flexes quite alot, which could be fixed by gluing stainless rods into the base of the stock, but IMHO a better stock would be the way forward.

Again if the stock you have ordered is a laminate then these havent got this problem.

The Ruger is a very accurate rifle despite this "problem" so dont let my critique put you off.

Shoot it first and check it is all ok, I bought one in 22wmr, best group at 100 yds was 6" at 50 yds 4" or more.

It went back to the importers who did not return it to Ruger as they should, just fooled around with it and sent it back damaged, needless to say I refused to accept it, then more fooling around , long story, I neither like or would trust them ever again. So check it thoroughly, if its good it will be very good and you will enjoy it.

I have a 10/22T ( bought before above shambles) and it is great shoots brilliantly, would buy another tommorrow.

Redfox

Mike,

The first rifle i bought in 1995 was one of the early MKII VT's in 22-250 which had a blue action and an uncoated stainless barrel.

This combination together with the laminated stock made for a very handsome rifle, much more so then the current grey offering.

The rifle shot much better then i did (my inexperience), grouping around 3/4" to 1" at 100yds with assorted factory ammo, handloads should of course perform better then this.

As for bedding, conventional bedding should be ok but there might be a problem with Pillar Bedding because the forward action screw is on an angle and relies on tension to snug the recoil lug tight into its recess.

Maybe one of the smiths on this site could expand on this in the Technical section :lol:

Ian.

I have one in .204, and its a good, accurate rifle. I,ve just pillar/devcon bedded one for Pete Moore, amongst other jobs on it, and it will probarbly be reviewed in next months shooting sports. The front pillar isnt a problem, if you use the brownell pillars, specifically designed for the 77mk2, however, the rear pillar requires a slot milling into it, for clearance on the trigger. It responds well to bedding, with it being a flat based action, and i,m going to do my own , when i,ve a minute.

Didn,t know that Ian? cant for the like of me understand why, as you say, probarbly cant be bothered. Its a bit fiddlier than a standard job, but well worth it. The front pillar slot, butts up to the recoil lug perfectly, sorry the pic isn,t too great.

S4300381.jpg

Thank you gentlemen, at least I now know it's possible and worth doing. Good point about checking it out and shooting it first, hadn't thought of that. So I will now take delivery and then take it from there.

Many thanks for the help

Mike

Archived