Viht N140 versus Viht N160

roeboy

I hope someone may be able to offer me some help with this. Cuurently i am using N140 in my 243 and getting great results. Im shooting 85 grain hpbt and can get a ragged 5 shot group with 38g of this powder. I am only using N140 as it suits the 308 load i have but need a new tub soon and i have noticed lots of people use N160 in 243. Is there any reson for this? would i see any benefit for swapping? many thanks in advance!

Interesting question roeboy as I am in the same boat. My 308 likes 140 so i developed my 243 loads as I had 2 tubs. I think I will be sticking with 140 as I'm pleased with the results but it will be good to hear other informed opinions.

As I see it now the velocity wouldn't be much more but you would have to put something like an extra 4 or 5 grains for a small gain. Can't see the advantage in this just more cost but lets see what people have to say.

I have used both powders in both of my .243 rifles and am currently on Viht. N140 having had problems getting some more N160 when my old tub was empty.

It works perfectly and I see no reason to change it.

My present load is 40.5gr of N140 with the 68gr Berger in a Sako Varminter and the same charge with the 75gr V.Max bullets in a Tikka L/W T3 .

HWH.

I use both, N160 doesn't cross over for .308 very well so sticking with the N140 for both would seem the best plan. When my N160 runs out I'll only use N140 as it'll load my .308, .243AI, 105gr A-max in my 6mmBR and 75gr A-max in my AR, so a much more versatile powder than N160, probably a powder for all seasons like H380 or Varget I suppose.

The only reason I bought more 160 was the shortage of 140 for a while, using less powder to achieve the same results is always an added bonus as well.

Pete.

Theoretically, slower burning powders should give better results in the .243 for two reasons - the ratio of case capacity to bore size (expansion ratio) is fairly high, and the fill-ratio as the cartridge has a larger case than needed for most powders and loads. Theoretically (again!) high fill-ratios that use up 85% plus of the available space in the case give better and more consistent results.

Certainly, N160 will give noticeably higher velocities than N140 if you want maximum MVs from 100-105gn deer and target bullets, but at the cost of a fair bit more powder. Drop down to the bullet weight you're using and there's not a lot between them, many people reckoning they get better results from N140 whatever the theory says.

It can come down to what else you load. The guy with a .308 as well saves buying two powders if he uses N140 in .243W. The guy who loads the .243 only but for deer and foxes might be better off with N160 as it's better suited to the heavier bullets in his deer loads.

If N140 works well for you stick with it and ignore what other people use.

Laurie

Just to add a quick tip...The problem some sako,s have, is stabilising heavy bullets, because of their 1 in 10 twist rate in .243.If you use a slower powder, or the slowest their is for the bullet weight....it usually stabilises the heavy for twist bullets. Dont ask me why however.

I hope someone may be able to offer me some help with this. Cuurently i am using N140 in my 243 and getting great results. Im shooting 85 grain hpbt and can get a ragged 5 shot group with 38g of this powder. I am only using N140 as it suits the 308 load i have but need a new tub soon and i have noticed lots of people use N160 in 243. Is there any reson for this? would i see any benefit for swapping? many thanks in advance!

To be honest , If your shooting a ragged hole from a 5 shot group - you already have a very accurate load.

Personally , I think it is a risk in swapping to Vit N160 , which may, or may not , give you similar results and use 6 grains more powder in doing so.

Alan

I have used somewhat faster powders than whats deemed to be normal in two or three different calibres and have excellent results,for example Vit130 in my PPC ,Vit 135 in my 308 and generally this goes hand in hand with a lighter bullet but not always.A faster powder in a shortish barrel is a good place to start too as I remember huge muzzle flashes on my old steyr cism in 308 were greatly reduced by going to a faster powder.

There are just so so many combinations it does your head in but if you can get one powder to do all,brill!!.Onehole.

One feature not touched upon here is the type of brass or primer used in developing a load.

Different makes of brass have different internal capacities and different primers do not have the same`burn` characteristics.

For example my loads with Fed. GM210M Match primers shoot far, far tighter groups than when the CCI BR-2 Bench Rest primer is used with the Vihtavouri powders.

When I was on the Viht. 160 load of 46gr, [Lapua brass.] a V.Max 87gr bullet and the BR2 primer a six shot string had an average velocity of 3188 FPS with an extreme spread of 87 FPS.

Using the Fed. GM210M instead, the extreme spread was reduced to only 36 FPS and average velocity was 3190 FPS, BUT group size was significantly smaller.

By having a few different primers in stock and using them in test loads can sometimes result in a load of precision being found.

HWH.

I have used somewhat faster powders than whats deemed to be normal in two or three different calibres and have excellent results,for example Vit130 in my PPC ,Vit 135 in my 308 and generally this goes hand in hand with a lighter bullet but not always.A faster powder in a shortish barrel is a good place to start too as I remember huge muzzle flashes on my old steyr cism in 308 were greatly reduced by going to a faster powder.

There are just so so many combinations it does your head in but if you can get one powder to do all,brill!!.Onehole.

The Sako factory load for the 6ppc utilises around 25grs of vv130 with a 70gr hpbt from memory. vv accurate load.

Archived