WILDLIFE IN GENERAL.

stag1933

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has passed me by for some reason :angry: Some excellent photos.

I gave up roe shooting because I found that I enjoyed the fieldcraft involved in stalking 'just to see how close I could get', and to enjoy watching them close up, more than taking a shot..

Had the odd (not very successful) go with my little digital 'instamatic'. A bit frustrating because of the limitations of the camera and lack of meaningful zoom. Never upgraded to posh kit -the price of lenses for digital SLRs frightened me off! (Thought these pics were only a couple of year's old; rather shocked to dig these out and notice they were taken way back in Jan 05 ;)

P1300090.jpg

P1300091.jpg

P1300092.jpg

P1300102.jpg

P1300110.jpg

P1300104.jpg

brown dog.

Your pictures taken with the small camera are excellent.

Long lenses for SLR cameras can be pricy but an alternative is available for £220 or so.

This is the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18 , it has a Leica 18X zoom lense built in which is approx. equal to 504 mm on a film SLR.

This camera is about 4.5 inches wide, 3 inches tall and 6.5 inches long with the hood fitted. [ in the photo the hood is incorrectly fitted and needs rotating so the long bits are top and bottom.]

Weight is only 360 grammes.

Pic. below of the FZ18 compared with a Nikon SLR and zoom lense.

HWH.

DSCN0261.jpg

The bridge style camera's (Lumix, Minolta Dimage, Fuji Finepix, Sony DSC series) offer a good compromise bettween a full blown SLR and a compact.

I do like the idea of them, but they have limitations - if something goes wrong - you lose the whole camera (1st issue I have with them) secondly, you cannot add to the system, so are stuck with one lens - this may not be a major issue if you have other cameras, but I am not sure if one will suite all purposes.

I like the interchangeability and versatility of SLR bodies (be that digital or film) and think that there is a whole heap of choice out there - particually if you look at secondhand film bodies and lenses - they are cheap as chips.

Some digital SLR's are quite reasonably priced - I have bought 2nd hand higher end stuff and have found (so far) no problems with my choices.

However, I still find I am unable to carry all but a phone equipped with camera or small compact when stalking and I havent the time to dedicate to stalking with camera (unfortunately)

I serieously need to look at getting a 2 or 1.5 x converter then I may be more inclined to go out with the big camera ;)

Ronin.

Regret I cannot agree with you here regarding the LUMIX camera.

This unit incorporates a Leica lense which goes from 28 mm wide angle to 504mm telephoto, what more does anyone want ?

It has image stabilising, macro mode and internal editing facilities also.

Below is a pic. I have just taken of your post heading. [ missing on preview, I will try to whistle it up. ]

For a one camera person who requires a small light unit which serves all purposes this is the one or probably better still its newer updated model if you have more cash to spare.

HWH.

Wow

didnt realise they were as versatile as that - 28 to 500 mm

I expected 300mm max...

Kind of makes the D2x and 80-200 f2.8 AF ED look like an expensive dinosaur ;)

post-6-1258657519_thumb.jpg

This is one of a couple of poor quality staggies taken about 1/2 mile from a large town on an ex pit tip. There are now no stags with the group at all let alone any poor quality ones.

Pic is not good quality as was taken on full zoom with an early compact super zoom about four years ago.

Regards

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...