Ziess or Swaro

Alycidon

A mate of mine rang me yesterday to ask advice on a new scope that his wife is buying him for his 50th Birthday, what an angel !!.

He is a stalker and fox shooter under a lamp, never goes over 300 yards. Currently he uses 6x42 Swaro fixed powers but feels that as his eyes are getting worse he needs a bit more mag. He has never used rangefinders, target turrets etc.

He is looking at a Swaro Z6I, 5x30x50 ish and a Ziess 6x24x56 both with illumiated rets

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A80033F8E4/Conte...1256A7300451C05

I have already told him that I doubt that he will use the higher mags and that 50mm would be more than enough for his needs.

I have suggested showing him my little 36mm Ziess against a far bigger and newer 50mm Swaro, this we will do shortly. Weight on the 56mm Ziess above is 8oz heavier than the Swaro but the 50mm Ziess is closer.

Has the Z6I closed the low light optical gap on Ziess who to my mind are in a league of their own optically perhaps with S&B. Swaro were some way behind if my PVS is anything to go by.

A

very big jump from 6x42.

How about 3-12x50 or 2.5-10x56 S&B zenith flashdot. great for lamping.

FD7 being a good reticule, very fine for a FFP but with projected red dot for dusk.

I've shot foxes at 360m with my 3-12 zenith.

I was also impressed by the newer swaro's with illumination but never used one myself.

edi

I certainly wouldn't jump from the fixed 6 to the 30x Z6 for the criteria described.Much better the 15 or 18 mags which are a hell of a scope and have to be seen operating in low light conditions to actually appreciate how good they really are

I've recently got my hands on a new Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 with the new rapid Z ret which is a fine bit of kit which is also worth a look if he feels the need for that bit more mag but to be honest I think your mate would just leave it on 12-15x especially if he's been use to fixed power scopes

Personally I'd recommend the Z6i with 15x mag either with the ballistic turrets or the BR stepped ret

John

Although I think the Zeiss glass has always been top notch but the one complaint I've heard countless times is the available reticle designs which has been traditionally thick posts and crosshairs

It looks like they're addressing that issue now ;)

The Ziess Z range of reticules is Ok but having started using one this summer the NF NP2DD is a cracking reticule. A first bar on the Ziess at maybe 4 moa is about 400 yards so he will just never use it. Shove them in at 1 moa and you loose the impact view. The Ziess illuminated dot has a small gap beneath it to the post, that's enough as it would be easy enough to find what zero the top of that post is at a set mag.

I think his heart is set on a variable and I have also suggested he looks at S&B. Certainly my variables only move from 8x when target shooting which is not often. I prefer the wide field of view and seeing the impact. I have spoken to him about more critical eye relief at high mag, field of view and seeing the impact (rifle is a moddied CZ .243 with his lifetime of use down the tube !) .

Having compared the Ziess Night Owl 8x56 binos with my Ziess BGAT 7x42s at night the only difference was the area of view. Image quality was the same. I believe that a 50mm or smaller lens will be fine for him. I do have reservations about 56mm due to weight and the amount it would lift you head from the factory stock in use.

As we get older our eyes take in less light than the 7 (Diopters?) when we are in tip top racing nick !!

A

Archived