CZ 527 Varmint

Triumph: I have never seen a CZ rifle without a test fire target as described by Panther. You are probably right: the target just got lost in transit someplace, I'm sure. Too bad as they are a genuine indicator of accuracy. My Hornet's target had a group about 1/2 MOA and that's what I got right from the start. ~Andrew

Well Guys that is interesting, may have to give Edgar Brothers a ring and ask them what happened to it :D

I just ordered myself some new rings, not much available really for a 527, i keep getting offered the Hilver ones.

I have chose some "Sportsmatch"has anyone seen "Shooting Sports" this month? they have just bought out a set of bases for the 527 and Tikka Rifles. It allows you to change beetween High or Low mounts 1 inch or 30mm. look real good for the price, and i have never had any trouble with Sportsmatch before.

Thanks Guys

It is quite possible that the test card is removed by the importers, i noticed when i bought a new Remington that the factory warrenty papers had been replaced with importers own Remington approved warrenty papers.

Maybe the same occurs with CZ, same importers.

Ian.

Yes Ian i think you are correct, EB are the importers for Remy and CZ I am going to phone them and ask the question. ;)

I have the 527 Varmint with the 26" 1 in 12 barrel and standard walnut stock in 223,

it was supplied with a target. From day one it shot well or under 1" with most

factory rounds exept 55gr FMJ rem umc 1.5", even with the stock touching.

After bedding and milling the stock channel out she would group under half inch,

even better with the handloads. All year long at same scope settings.

I also think your problem is more scope ring related.

I use millet rings, not great but ok, i always glue the scope in the rings with

rapid setting epoxy after oiling scope and mounts lightly so that it will release

when taking apart.

When doing the paper test to check clearance, I thinks its better to get someone

check it while your on the bench exerting possibly a bit more pressure than normal in the

shooting position.

I thought CZ have a link to a shop where rings could be ordered.

Favourite factory ammo in my CZ.

Sako 55gr sp tad over 1/4"

Fed AE 50gr hp same

hornady 40gr vmax under 1/2"

umc 45gr hp under 1/2"

Only tried one handload with 52gr a-max bit over 1/4"

with fed or sako brass, no diff

edi

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys so sorry for the very late posting, but due to Holidays , Work commitments, and computer troubles, I have just been to flaming busy.

Anyway i have to thank you all in helping me out with my accuracy problem, and with your help i think i have now got it sorted :)

The very first thing i did was ditch the rings and replaced those. I then took the barreled action from the stock , and went to work on the barrel channel, I removed probably 1/16th of an inch of timber form all around the barrel, before this was done i could hardly run a piece of A4 paper along the length of the barrel without it touching, I can now run ten sheets of A4 paper along the whole length, my local gunsmith advised me to do this, and insured me it would have no ill affect on the rifle.

I then replaced the horrible slotted action screws for some more substantial Allen head screws, and now i know that each screw is tightened to a similar torque ( they look a lot neater too) So off to the range i go :)

Well first three shots from a cold barrel and i get a 1 inch group, using RG 63gn mill ammo, WOW i knew straight away that things were gonna get better, this was shooting off a table using a Harris bipod.

I next tried some Remington UMC 55gn and can honestly say that it was not as good as the RG maybe a 1.5 group.

fed AE 55gn and 62gn were both used next with very similar results both well under an inch group 3 shots with each one.

Wolf ammo in 55gn was next up and i was rather surprised with the accuracy for such a cheap round (£22.00 a hundred. Russian made steel cases, but who cares at that price) this was giving me close to half inch group for 5 shots Yippee

Now this is where i get a little confused. I was offered 5 rounds of Fed 69gn Match Ammo by a shooter on the next bench. he said that my group was OK but to try this as he thinks the rounds i was using were a bit light. OK i gave it a go and five shots produced close to a 1/4 inch group. he told me that my rifle would probably be a 1 in 9 and not a 1 in 12 as i thought, hmmmm now i am confused.

Anyway Guys i have just bought myself a T8 moderator and am off too the range in the week, so i will report back on how my groups progress. I will also take some different brands of Ammo, but have heaps of Fed AE to shoot off. I will be loading my own in the next couple of weeks, and i know that things will only improve with homeloads and the Moddy.... Thank you to you all, you have been great, I owe each and every one of you a Pint. :):D:D

Oh by the way. I contacted Edgar Brothers and asked the Question if CZ supplied Test Targets with each Rifle, i think he was new and only said that with the Gun you get an instruction booklet and a list of accesories included, if this was not on the list , then it would not be supplied. Two Gunshops that is use both said that they do not recall seeing any Test Targets with Rifles supplied CZ. One dealer checked his stock of 6 CZ rifles, and not one box had a test target in it. !!!!!

Guest 308Panther

Glad to hear you got a few things worked out.

Be very carefull with the use of the Russian made ammo...

Even if it is cheap the damages it can do arent cheap to repair.

It isnt the steel cases that are the problem....its their powder and/or primers.

Either one or the other or both have been known to be corrosive.

I have heard this from more than one source.....One of them being the

Rifle Club Pres of the range by me....and I dont remember the other as

it was quite awhile ago,The Pres confimed what I had heard.

That the Russian stuff was still corrosive.

308Panther

Make mine a Guinness.... :)

Test targets aren,t supplied with cz,s in Gb. What use are they anyway? its not hard to shoot a tight group at short range is it? and no manufacturer will supply a gun with a 5" group target will they? :)

There,s only one test target worth having, and its the one you shoot yourself.

I,m guessing the rifle has a 1 in 9" twist, the same as the 527 tactical.

Baldie: The CZ test fire range for CF rifles is 100 Meters. Rimfire: 50 meters. I guess since they don't supply them in the UK, you wouldn't have known. I wonder why they don't? According to their site they test fire every rifle for accuracy and function.

As to their use? Well, If I had a choice of a few CZ's and I asked to see the test fire targets I'd be certain to choose the one with the smallest group. As I posted in the past, my CZ Hornet came with a half MOA test fire target and the rifle delivered that right from the start. My son's was the same, as was a friends. The rifles delivered the accuracy that was on the TF target.

I have a great mistrust for test fire targets. I sold HK weapons in the early eighties and sold a fellow an HK-91, 7.62 that came with a fabulous test fire target despite the fact that the rifle was shipped with no chamber whatsoever! In CZ's case though, and I have bought four or five of them in the last two years, the targets are a true indicator of the accuracy you will get from the start with that particular weapon.

Triumph: "Horrible" slotted screws?? Oh my! Strong words from a man who shoots steel cased ammo with copper washed steel bullets through his new pet ;) I'm with Panther. Stick to the good stuff! Glad it's coming together for you. Why don't you measure your twist rate so you can sleep nights??~Andrew

Guest 308Panther

Dont have mine handy....

But I know it reads 50 m....

And you can cover all 3 holes of the 5 shot group with a nickel.

Reason it stuck in my mind was the meter thing....

If it was done here in the States I believe it would read yards...

That,and most shooters here use 100 yrds as a base for the zero...and as a base for groupings....

100 yrds I believe is also the base for MOA....

308Panther

Archived