22/250 barrel length

legion

My Tikka 595 has a 22" barrel (factory barrel) but I get nowhere near the velocities stated in reloading manuals or the velocities stated by factory ammo manufacturers.

When I enqired about re-barelling it, I was told to go for a 24" as a good compromise for getting good velocities and still being compact, 26" if weight and length were no issue.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jinks.

My Tikka 595 has a 22" barrel (factory barrel) but I get nowhere near the velocities stated in reloading manuals or the velocities stated by factory ammo manufacturers.

When I enqired about re-barelling it, I was told to go for a 24" as a good compromise for getting good velocities and still being compact, 26" if weight and length were no issue.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jinks.

I'd echo that, makes sense to me. I'm on my fourth 22-250: three have had heavy 26" varmint barrels which gave very satisfactory MV, one was an experiment that didn't work out - it had a skinny 22" barrel that did not provide consistent accuracy but did provide severe muzzle blast. My advice: go for 26" in a varminter, maybe 24" as Jinks says for a standard weight rifle.

Regards, TonyH

I'd echo that, makes sense to me. I'm on my fourth 22-250: three have had heavy 26" varmint barrels which gave very satisfactory MV, one was an experiment that didn't work out - it had a skinny 22" barrel that did not provide consistent accuracy but did provide severe muzzle blast. My advice: go for 26" in a varminter, maybe 24" as Jinks says for a standard weight rifle.

Regards, TonyH

cheers guys, it is a 26 inch varminter barrel, so not worth chopping, i just zeroed with a new scope at 200yards and got inch groups with factory sako ballistic tips-well pleased. hoped sako soft point deer rounds of the same weight would have same point of impact-no chance, back to the drawing board. all the best.

Archived