March scopes

Elwood

Has anyone had any experiences of March scopes, good or bad? I've been swatting up on them and they seem to be the dogs danglers according to the people who have used them, but are they worth the price over the competition, Leupold, NF 12-42 BR etc

And whilst we are on the subject, what's your ultimate long range paper punching scope for 600-1000 yards?

Greg Thompson that used to come on this site was changing to March scopes, he showed me the first one that he'd bought when I was collecting some gear from his home. They'd want to be good considering the price he quoted was around £3000 each.

Sorry, I can't remember his name on here, I'm sure the mods will be able to assist with that.

Pete.

Have to wonder if they are so good why is it for sale?

Warranty is short (IMHO)

If you want a decent LR scope look at NF (you have already), S&B 5-50 model, and the Sightron (32 variable power)

I personally would not be considering the March

Andy, is that based on price and warranty alone? I do agree I think with the price tag you would should expect at the very least 25 years warranty! not that I would be paying the full asking price :(

S&B do a 5-50? I know they do 12.5-50x56 but that's for airguns, more research needed.

Sorry Ian

the S&B is 12 - 50 my mistake, this is a centerfire scope (there are two versions) - York Guns had some on order as one of my shooting buddies had one on order, untill he found a NF (8-32) that was silly money :(

Ive seen the march in action and looked through one, yes the scope "looks good" and ticks the right boxes as far as construction, clarity and repeatability of turret dialling.

I personaly, could see no difference bettween my own NF 8-32 and the March at 32 power.

Obviously above that magnification you see benefits, however, even at 1000 yds, the 32 power (or even a 16 power for that matter) allows you to choose accurately where within the V Bull you want to aim (or aim off) to account for wind.

As I am refering to F Class, I also bring into that equation the fact that all your shots are marked as you fire them so you see your POI and can alter for the next shot, you can easily see a spotting disc (2 inch dimeter) at 1000 yds under 10, 16 power scope, let alone a 60x.

Ive used high power scopes for a few years on a 300 WM (42 pwer NF) - the only thing that gave us was eye strain above 36x..

I would have serious reservations about the applied value of the March against an 8-32 NF IMHO they are not worth the extra, well I cant see the benefits anyway.

My own views, remember.

There are a couple of discussions on accuracy forums about the March, they may or may not help you.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2111358&trail=8

http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/mar...opes-wow-38020/

If I were looking at a dedicated target scope - I would consider, NF, S&B (if you can get one), Swarowski (24 power variable), Sightron (the 32 power variable) the Leupold BR series...

Another way of looking at is is how much are you willing to compromise other aspects of scope design to get extra magnification. What I mean is things like exit pupil get real small (with March 60 mag divided by 52 objective)......for me NXS was bad enough 42 divided by 56.

Although the March has ED glass the objective diameter is still small for the magnification - resolution is heped a lot by a big objective.

Internal adjustment...about 70moa internal with the March 60x, compared to 40moa'ish with 42x NXS........this in one way is great but I do wonder how large / robust the erector cell is, however March have a good rep for tracking in the BR, LRBR game.

Ever wonder why S&B PMII are Premier 5-25x56 scopes are rather large.......focal length required for the magnification. My sort of half assed understanding is that increasing magnification without adjusting other perameters like focal length does nothing for resolution.

The problem comes if you want a scope and do not want to compromise of stuff like resolution then you end up with a USO sn9 and that has it's set of mounting issues (finding a picatinny rail and receiver long enough) not to mention the physical size and weight of the thing. However 42x with a 80mm objective without 'squashing ' the focal length coupled with no internal erector tube gives an outstanding view.

Greg Thompson that used to come on this site was changing to March scopes, he showed me the first one that he'd bought when I was collecting some gear from his home. They'd want to be good considering the price he quoted was around £3000 each.

Sorry, I can't remember his name on here, I'm sure the mods will be able to assist with that.

Pete.

gregs name on here is "osok"

Thanks Pete.

I see there's one for sale on the UK F class website, £1600

5 year warranty to the original buyer is a bit sh1te as well.

I have to admit to having a look and a short play with Greg's March scope, but felt it would be unfair to give an opinion as to what I felt the quality of the glass was through the jaded eyes of a 55yr old.

It certainly felt a quality item when I handled it, but it would have to be outstandingly better than a PM11 to have me yearning for one.

At the end of the day I consider myself a mediocre shot and such expense is probably wasted on me anyway. :(

Pete.

The march sight caused a very small flurry of excitement, for a very short time, then the f class lot dropped it again. They are all buying the sightron 8-32 at the minute. I compared this scope , side by side with my nxs 32 yesterday, and both could pick out all the bullet holes in my target at 500 yards. I could see no difference optically. Personally i would say the nightforce is better made.

If you want a scope that will do it all , target wise, look no further than the nxs 12-42 x 56....at the moment, i dont believe there is a better target sight.

The schmidt will be great when it finally arrives, but the silly bloody things still adjust the wrong way.

Interesting, to say the least.

The only scope I have compared my NF with is a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x50 and in all honesty the Zeiss creamed the NF, alas the Zeiss scopes have shite reticles for long range target shooting, unless someone knows better?

I have a NF 12-42 and I'm still undecided, personally I think the glass lacks clarity at high mag, say over 30, but I haven't tested it against any other scopes yet.

The scope will be going on the 6BR (Dang that thing shoots) and it will be an out and out target rifle, at the moment I'm using a NF 5.5-25x56 with the NPR2 ret. I don't have any complaints about the scope, but if there's better and within my financial reach then I'm interested.

I will have a look at the Sightron

Has there been any mention of a price for the 12.5-50 S&B ?............

...........and yes I'm sitting down

The big 72 mil zeiss is well worth a look buddy. It can be had with skeleton mildots and would be perfectly suitable.A friend has one, and i personally find it the brightest, clearest scope i,ve ever looked through [ i,d forgotten about it, untill you mentioned the smaller one ]

I agree the nxs,s aren,t the clearest scope, but, there is a lot more to a target sight than clarity. They have the most suitable rets, and their tracking is absolutely faultless. Those points score very highly for me personally. I favour the np2-dd ret, because that little dot is perfect, all the way out to a 1000 yards, and can be moved around a bullseye, and covers nowt.

There wont be change from 2 grand for the schmidt i,d say.

Swarovski now makes a 5-30x50 in numerous guises, such as the ballistic turret model nice and easy to setup for adjusting at range. I have two of the z6 models 2.5-15 and 3-18 I can say that these are awesome scopes. Build quality is excellent, warranty is within your requirements. The glass quality is excellent, their new HD glass gives edge to edge clarity. These scopes are 30mm tubes, when you look through them their up their with the schmidts 34mm. They beat the ziess & nightforce hands down. You'll also get them alot quicker than a schmidt or a zeiss. You'll be looking at £1700 for a 5-30x50 ballistic turret model non illuminated.

Swarovski now makes a 5-30x50 in numerous guises, such as the ballistic turret model nice and easy to setup for adjusting at range. I have two of the z6 models 2.5-15 and 3-18 I can say that these are awesome scopes. Build quality is excellent, warranty is within your requirements. The glass quality is excellent, their new HD glass gives edge to edge clarity. These scopes are 30mm tubes, when you look through them their up their with the schmidts 34mm. They beat the ziess & nightforce hands down. You'll also get them alot quicker than a schmidt or a zeiss. You'll be looking at £1700 for a 5-30x50 ballistic turret model non illuminated.

i thought swaro said they would never put a target turret on a Any of there scopes???

and the rets i have seen are way way to large for target shooting.

just my 2 p worth

Colin

i thought swaro said they would never put a target turret on a Any of there scopes???

and the rets i have seen are way way to large for target shooting.

just my 2 p worth

Colin

I have has a Swaro PVS with target turrets in 2003 !.

I have had a look through a big Sightron and found the eye relief to be very critical when wound up. personally I prefer NSX to Sightron. Its owner loves it though !!

A

I have has a Swaro PVS with target turrets in 2003 !.

I have had a look through a big Sightron and found the eye relief to be very critical when wound up. personally I prefer NSX to Sightron. Its owner loves it though !!

A

Yes i had one myself.(one of the first scopes i brought) but what I'm saying is i thought i had heard that they where not putting them on there new scopes IE the Z6 range as they did not want to go all military.

Hey i would love to see a proper target turret on the new swaro scopes. and a good target dot. hell if they got in to this market we would have some real choice. the best dot on the market is on a night force scope.

the dots on a swaro are not very good. at 300y it covers 3" circle may be berger can confirm this as he has one

ATB

Colin.

So my perfect scope would be 8-32x50 double turn Night Force with Swarovski glass and using the NF NP-2DD ret.

So logically thinking perhaps the NF 8-32x56 with a NP-2DD ret is the way for me to go. I do like the NP-2DD ret, but would you go for the BR or the NXS?

Sightron does look good value for money though, next time I'm at Bisley I might try and sneak at look through one.

I'm in agreement about Swarovski missing a trick. My eyes prefer there glass to any other (makes looking through a NF like looking through dirty windows on a sunny day) why don't they just pull their fingers out and make a proper long range scope.

I would be interested to know what the git with and smart bipod and second hand AI has to say about the subject from a benchrest shooters point of view.

Elwood

I think you need to take a look at the 5-30x50 model. The new 4A reticule is fine as you want. Was playing with the 2.5-15x56 ballistic turret model with Vermincinerator during our long range day, cranked it up to full power could clearly see the pigeon I was looking at 1000yards. The ballistic turret if anything is better than a target turret. The ballistic computer online is fabulous it has all the factory loads for various calibres. You can punch in your own loads detials and it produces a nice print out of the clicks you need to adjust for different ranges and you can set these in the program. Then you can set the little knobs on the ballistic turret for easy reference to ranges. FOr instance zero dead on at 100 yards. Punch the load data into the ballistics computer and what ranges you want, it will spit out a report at you with the number of clicks you need to use to adjust to the next range, in this case lets say you want the number of clicks to shoot dead on at 200 yards. Punch it into the computer lets say arguement sake it says 9. Take apart the ballistic turret move the elevation up the number of clicks in this case for dead on at 200yrds. Then place the first adjustment ring back on the scope and you have set it. Their are five quick adjustment settings. You could set it up for 100yrds, 200yrds, 300yrds, 400yrds and then 1000yrds. It is so easy. The glass is fabulous before you dismiss these scopes because they dont have a proper target turret, give one a go you'll find their slightly addictive, I should know I've got 2 of them 2.5-15x56 and 3-18x50. both of them are ballistic turrets. One is going on my 7mm rem mag and the other on a 20 practical. Setup and your about 5 seconds away from adjusting ranges for targets at your preseleceted distances. The ballistic computer is surprisingly accurate and very easy to use and its free even better.

regards

Alled

[

I'm in agreement about Swarovski missing a trick. My eyes prefer there glass to any other (makes looking through a NF like looking through dirty windows on a sunny day) why don't they just pull their fingers out and make a proper long range scope.

I would be interested to know what the git with and smart bipod and second hand AI has to say about the subject from a benchrest shooters point of view.

Here you go, Swaro, target turrets, dot reticule and cheap, ex demo jobbies,

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co....ki-6-24x50-P-L/

I am told that not all scopes available are shown on the site.

A

Archived