.22H vs .22AH

njc110381

I've been reading a lot about the .22AH this evening. Nothing specific but it's brought up a lot when the standard Hornet is talked about. What are the gains from having an AH? Can you re-chamber a standard Hornet in AH and is it worth it? In the long run I'd love a .17AH, but for now it may be worth getting the chamber re-cut in the .22? What do you think?

Seems from various reading the K Hornet (and the Ackley can't be much different) doesn't deliver dramatically better performance than the std version. The brass may last a bit longer but the vel gains are marginal apparently.

Prob the difference between a snail and a hotted-up snail.

Chris-NZ

I'll save my money for a decent .17 barrel then! I think the K-Hornet is the same, but it wouldn't be the first time I've got it wrong! :lol:

Thanks for the replies. It does make me wonder why mr ackley would bether messing with it for no real gain though?

njc,

Mr. Ackley did this work when (largely) the only available powders were military surplus. This lack of variety limited many cartridges, so he devised the "ackley" cartridges as a means of getting more (slow) military powder into cases, thus boosting velocity. With today's wide array of powders and their associated wide array of burn rates, most cartridges do not benefit much by altering them. A few still show increases, but not many. Again, many (even with boosted velocities) do so with increased pressures and more severe pressure spikes thereby trading barrel life/throat errosion for speed. Not worth it IMHO...

JMTCW...

• 4 weeks later...
Seems from various reading the K Hornet (and the Ackley can't be much different) doesn't deliver dramatically better performance than the std version. The brass may last a bit longer but the vel gains are marginal apparently.

Prob the difference between a snail and a hotted-up snail.

Chris-NZ

Basically, what Chris NZ siad.

From what I've read the 22 Improved does offer a little velocity gain, however the biggest gain comes from the straigtening of the case and giving it a proper shoulder and neck. This apparently increases the life of the brass and also makes you les likely to crush a the hornet case or wrinkle in compared to the standard version.

ATB

Simon

Archived