CZ 527 as a lightweight stalking rifle? 7.62x39?

The rather nice PRS CZ527 for sale on this site prompted this random thought:

Would (or could) a rebarreled s/h cz527 action be the basis for a super lightweight and handy stalking rifle?

A sequel to that question is can the 7.62x39 deliver the required energy / mv / wt etc for Scotland?

and finally; could it be rebarreled with a 308 barrel be chambered for 7.62 x 39 so that 308 bullets can be used on the 7.62x39 case?

Thanks!

Edited to add: Could the action accommodate 6.5x47 ?

I've had a Cz 527 in 7,62x39 for several years now. I had it glass bedded and have shot it in several Sporting Rifle competitions not because I thought it would be competitive but because I thought it would be an interesting challenge.

The bore slugs at.309 and I've used 155g Matchking bullets in it with some success. I'm not saying it's a tackdriver but it has scored 67/70 at 300 yards in the Sporting Rifle comp and that was with a 6x scope on top. It needs the bullets loaded well out but the throat is a long one and it works really well. Obviously you can't then use the magazine, you have to single load.

At shorter range I found that the standard Lapua factory 123g loads work well grouping in an inch at 100m. I have to admit I can't do that every time but this is not really a bench gun, it's a lightweight handy carbine and I like it a lot. The pluses are the jewel-like mini-Mauser action, set trigger, light weight, excellent Lapua brass and ability to use 308 bullets. The Americans say it works well with Wolf factory ammo but I haven't found that to be so as I get fliers.

Quickload will tell you that it can be made to be deer legal but you'd need to push it and I doubt your Firearms Licensing people would approve it.

Cornishman.

Matt

I recall a chap a few years ago set out to use 7.62 x 39 for Roe in the very same rifle a few years ago, his loads just met the deer ME limit (by 2 or three ft lbs)

The article was written in Deer magazine or Stalking magazine - it was five maybe six years ago now, I may still have the back issues.

The rifle will do the job and make a lovely sub 6 - 7 lbs stalker.

Not quite sure of the round for larger species, but deer legal is deer legal.....

Perhaps check with your FEO or be prepared to engage proof house in load testing for independant "proof" of meeting Deer Act limit.

As Cornishman says they can be mede to shoot and some do out the box - like most other rifles...

You wont, however, be able to fit it with green skins ^_^

All,

Thanks. Been a little distracted moving house yesterday and today. New place is in chaos too!

Anyone have a good pointer on the deer calibre options for a cz527 action? will it handle something as big as 6.5x47 or 6BR -or will it be limited to ppc size?

(I think the 6.5ppc would be a great idea; but I find reloading to be a mind numbing chore, I just don't have the patience to mess around with wildcats -something more mainstream would be preferable)

Not sure I read this correctly (your initial question) but I believe that the 7.62x39 already uses .30 cal bullet..so you can use any .30 cal bullet in it (in theory anyway)

It is after all the same bore diameter as 7.62x51 (.308 Win)

If one looks at the CZ site and in particular the 527 variants, they are only available in certain calibres - .222 / 223 / 204 and 7.62x39.

The action is described as Mini Mauser

This leads me to suspect that you may be able to rebarrel / rechamber IF the alternate chambered round is similar in size to the original.

By that I think a 308 would be too long, this may also mean 6.5x47 is out.

You alos have the issue that the 7.62x39 case rim is .447" diameter - a 308 / 6.5x47 / 260 etc are .473" - therefore the bolt face would need altering and if the extractor is in the wrong place it would cause serious headaches to the person doing the alteration.

Also - the mags look pretty short - even for a short action, I guess they are shorter than 2.900" which is SAAMI spec for most short action mag length (internal)

Anyone with a 527 please chip in here?

Just my thoughts

Oh, you could rebarrel to the following direct without issues:

20PPC

220 Russian

5.6x39 Russian

22PPC

22 Waldog

6x39

6mm PPC

6.5mm Grendal

6.5x39

Think its a bit restrictive myself....

Not sure I read this correctly (your initial question) but I believe that the 7.62x39 already uses .30 cal bullet..so you can use any .30 cal bullet in it (in theory anyway)

It is after all the same bore diameter as 7.62x51 (.308 Win)

If one looks at the CZ site and in particular the 527 variants, they are only available in certain calibres - .222 / 223 / 204 and 7.62x39.

The action is described as Mini Mauser

This leads me to suspect that you may be able to rebarrel / rechamber IF the alternate chambered round is similar in size to the original.

By that I think a 308 would be too long, this may also mean 6.5x47 is out.

You alos have the issue that the 7.62x39 case rim is .447" diameter - a 308 / 6.5x47 / 260 etc are .473" - therefore the bolt face would need altering and if the extractor is in the wrong place it would cause serious headaches to the person doing the alteration.

Also - the mags look pretty short - even for a short action, I guess they are shorter than 2.900" which is SAAMI spec for most short action mag length (internal)

Anyone with a 527 please chip in here?

Just my thoughts

Oh, you could rebarrel to the following direct without issues:

20PPC

220 Russian

5.6x39 Russian

22PPC

22 Waldog

6x39

6mm PPC

6.5mm Grendal

6.5x39

Think its a bit restrictive myself....

Thanks Chaps,

Just doing my morning internet check (haven't got internet at the new place yet).

6.5 Grendel leaps out at me from that list -that's one of the AR 6.8SPC competitor cartridges I believe? That would do the business. Also got it logged in my brain that Lapua make 6.5grendel brass -could be wrong; haven't checked.

[i'd also need to do some research on the 7.62x39 calibre thing. The 'proper' bore dimension is larger than 308 (310 or 311 from memory), despite both being called 7.62. I note Cornishman's slug gave a bore of 309; so if you get a 'snug' one, I suppose you get away with it)

Depends how cheaply the base rifle can be obtained. Great link posted earlier.

For a lightweight stalking rifle with a short action, something with a .308 boltface would seem an easier road to take with a huge array of choices to mull over, 6mm,7mm and 30cal , plenty of commercially available brass and simple to load to satisfy the requirements of the Deer Act.

A savvy firearms dept. could well take you task over the power output you will achieve with some of the rounds you can chamber to in the 527 action.

Pete.

Take a look at Rilfecraft's offering, same action with HS stock and 22" lothar Walther barrel in 22 or 6mmPPC..... if they'd add another 2" of BBL it'd go straight to deer legal. 80 - 87grn bullets.... nuff said!!

BD,

The round you want, is staring you in the face.

6.5 grendel.

The round is a necked down case, dead simple, and lapua make the brass with a small primer pocket.

I have an ar15 in 6.5 grendel, and having made some alterations to the gun, it will now extract full power loads no problem. The straight pull ar is not the best platform for it, due to extraction issue,s. A semi auto, or bolt gun, can be loaded quite a bit stiffer, and then the little cartridge will sing.

I have an aquaintance up north who uses one for roe, and i believe it can be made deer legal in a bolt gun.

The people to talk to in the UK are, Dave Green at low mills ranges, Mark Bradley, and i think Steve Kershaw may now have a reamer. He was trying to get one last time i spoke to him. The reamers are licensed by alexander arms [the designer] and i,ve failed to get an e mail reply, on three occasions from them, so gave up.

Its a great little cartridge. have it throated long however, so you dont give up case capacity.

Archived