.308 Moderator

Need some advice, I am just about to buy a moderator for a .308 win. The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 22'' sporter barrel. I am happy to reduce the length of the barrel but by how much? This is a pure stalking rifle and does not need to shoot beyond 200m realistically. I have three Reflex T8's on other rifles. I saw a Wildcat T8 on a .308 yesterday and wasn't that impressed with the noise reduction also I have been advised against strippable mods? I did experiment with PES units a few years ago but was dissapointed with the build quality. Stainless steel would be good but not essential. I'm not bothered whether its an over the barrel style or muzzel mounted. I recall recently that someone did a comprehensive review of both moderators and reduced barrel lengths but I can't it anywhere. I've got a completely open mind on this so give me your ideas. Thanks, JC

Need some advice, I am just about to buy a moderator for a .308 win. The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 22'' sporter barrel. I am happy to reduce the length of the barrel but by how much? This is a pure stalking rifle and does not need to shoot beyond 200m realistically. I have three Reflex T8's on other rifles. I saw a Wildcat T8 on a .308 yesterday and wasn't that impressed with the noise reduction also I have been advised against strippable mods? I did experiment with PES units a few years ago but was dissapointed with the build quality. Stainless steel would be good but not essential. I'm not bothered whether its an over the barrel style or muzzel mounted. I recall recently that someone did a comprehensive review of both moderators and reduced barrel lengths but I can't it anywhere. I've got a completely open mind on this so give me your ideas. Thanks, JC

Hi JC

You can cut the barrel to 18" and it will be good for a stalking rifle, the best sound mod is the ASE Jet Z ( personal opinion:rolleyes:) , it is great on the 308 and offers the best sound redution i have heard so far.

I had a Jet Z on my 223 and now use a pes on my 243 - the Jet Z was miles better (to my ears anyhow)

I was talking to Gary (shootingbags) and Nick (20ppc) at the CLA and they mentioned that Steve Bowers has a .308 cut down to 14 inch's that he uses with a 110gr bullet and a PES muzzle can. I'd give him a call for some first hand experience.

I was talking to Gary (shootingbags) and Nick (20ppc) at the CLA and they mentioned that Steve Bowers has a .308 cut down to 14 inch's that he uses with a 110gr bullet and a PES muzzle can. I'd give him a call for some first hand experience.

It's not Steve Bowers , it's Bruce Potts.

There really is nothing wrong with strippable mods, ive been running a variety (Atec, Atec CMM) for a couple of years on 22-250 up to 338 LM and have had NO issues with sound attenuation / reliablity / ease of strip down.

You must, however if you chose something like this, be prepared to ensure that the threads are lubed with copperslip, or similar lith grease otherwise they can be dfficult to strip.

There was a test done that was published in a magazine but I cant recall which one - it wasnt Target Sports - maybe Guntrader?

The stainless ASE Utra etc are heavy and ungainly (IMHO) although offer decent attenuation.

Reflex (BR Toute) are good, but over time will rust if not looked after - I have one that is tem years old - but I look after my its placed over a radiator after use and sprayed internally with WD40.

Not keen on the wildcat and PES mods personally either.

I have a mod on test from Jager that ticks the right boxes for me so far, there are pics of it in the rifle section on my 6.5x284.

Regarding cutting down the barrel, you will be restricted by the forend length interfering with the rear of the mod before you run into legalities with barrel length.

If I were you I would look at what is available on the market and make a decision on style / aesthetic look / weight and of course price - they all work (to varying levels - unless you conduct your own test with a sound meter.

Thanks guys, I have a Reflex that is about ten years old too but it is about had it due to not being looked after properly. The critisisum that I have heard about the strippable mods seems to relate to accuracy problems due to various parts being loose but I suppose that again comes down to care and maintenance. I am tempted to try a muzzle mounted moderator, what are the short fat ones called? anyone have experience of these? If I could guarantee the build quality then a PES would seem to be a good option but i've seen too many that rattle. I am giving this all quite a lot of thought because the rifle that it is going on is an 'old faithfull' that has never let me down so I am a little reluctant to mess with it. Maybe i'll contact Bruce Potts, anyone have an email address for him? JC

ASE Utra is the one I think you mean - it may upset the looks of your "old faithful"

Brugger & Thomet also make excellent mods - although these are high end / high price (circa 350 - 400)

The loose intenals on strippables - if they aren't tight, they rattle, if they are nipped up, they dont, - operator error :lol:

Thanks guys, I have a Reflex that is about ten years old too but it is about had it due to not being looked after properly. The critisisum that I have heard about the strippable mods seems to relate to accuracy problems due to various parts being loose but I suppose that again comes down to care and maintenance. I am tempted to try a muzzle mounted moderator, what are the short fat ones called? anyone have experience of these? If I could guarantee the build quality then a PES would seem to be a good option but i've seen too many that rattle. I am giving this all quite a lot of thought because the rifle that it is going on is an 'old faithfull' that has never let me down so I am a little reluctant to mess with it. Maybe i'll contact Bruce Potts, anyone have an email address for him? JC

Hi JC

I have tried most of the suppresors on the Market including Brugger & Thomet, JetZ and a rather expensive Steve Bowers custom build. I am now using PES muzzle cans. I can honestly say that I have not had any issues with build quality and the sound atenuation is as good as if not better than any other surpressor on the Market. Bruce Potts uses Pes muzzle cans on most of his rifles. With regard to barrel length on a .308 you can easily go to 16" with little loss in performance out to 300yards. RPA are now producing a16" factory rifle in 308. For your info Bruce wrote a couple of articles in Shooting Times on the effects of barrel shortening on .223 & .308 rifles, I think they are still available on their web site.

If you are still unsure about muzzle cans I am sure that it would be possible for you to try one first, let me know if you are interested.

All the best,

Nick.

hi jc,

have had a 308 for a few years with a mod on now first one was a reflex t8 as people have said does the job and just needs a bit of tlc after shooting wouldnt recomend against one at all indeed still have on on my 223 rem.

my new 308 in the guise of a remmy 700 pss is fitted with a wildcat p 12 ie 12 baffle internalls and this is seriously quite and as andy banner said himself from 30 cal up is the way to go . now this mod is so quite that durring my recent roe cull to overcome our tb woes i shot and dropped a group of five roe deer in open ground at the bottom of a bank all within 25 yds or one tramline width of each other thats how quite it is from a range of about 125 yds. have also taken a couple of pairs of courting foxes in daylight with it as well.

as for mod cleaning well i just treat mine as part of the barrel which it is in effect when using it so if the barrel is cleaned then take the time to look after the mod is my way of thinking.

graham.

Another option JC if you are happy with the old T8 is to contact jackson and, somebody correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere you can px an old one in against a new one for half price.

have a look at www.qsmsilencers they were on f a anderson stand at the game fair

Graham, I like your thinking on cleaning. I had a look at the QSM website, it looks interesting but the £445 price tag is a bit more than I was thinking of spending. Interesting that a couple of you have been quite keen on the Wildcat, good that its British too. To be honest, I was hoping that everyone would say blah blah blah.... the xyz123 is the only way to go, buy one now! I guess life is never that simple. To go off on a different tack, has anyone out there got a moderator that is suitable that that want to sell? (and not because its buggered!!) JC

I have an ASE S5 which to my Mk1 ear is on a par if not better than a T8.

Thay are short, fat, stubby and stainless and look a damn sight better sprayed black.

I use it on my TRG at present but I think it will look the dogs on my upcoming heavy barrel 20" 6.5 build - could well be an option for you on a short barrel .308 ....

31102008048-1.jpg

Camera angle makes it look larger in this pic. I could do with pics like that :lol:

TC

Hi JC, ratwhiskers uses a ASE Ultra (S5 model i think) on his 7-08, very well built peice of kit,fairly heavy mind, but they are going to last and with a full stainless construction its not going to need the TLC which others need.

I built a clone of an ASE Ultra for my 6BR and its great, fair enough its not the best looker on the dancefloor, but it'll show you a good time haha.

For a working rifle i would probably choose (well if it was myself build) An ASE Ultra, they're simple and reliable, however if you after asthetics then maybe wouldnt be the best choice!

Shrek

For those who like their t8,s but dont like the rust, check out the mym mods available from border barrels. They are basically a stainless steel version, but much better made. They are just as quiet, and hardly any heavier. I,ve used a few in the shop, and they are impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

I have been using a A-Tec can , and I am impressed with its design and construction , and wanted to buy another one , ONLY to find out they do not make that model any more , what a shame .

The one I have , telescopes a bit back , and has the 1st two baffels out of SS , then aluminium , and has a SS thread for the barrel , very well thought out , for a can that is lite and strips down .

Later Chris

Hi Guys ,

I have been using a A-Tec can , and I am impressed with its design and construction , and wanted to buy another one , ONLY to find out they do not make that model any more , what a shame .

The one I have , telescopes a bit back , and has the 1st two baffels out of SS , then aluminium , and has a SS thread for the barrel , very well thought out , for a can that is lite and strips down .

Later Chris

HI

GET IN TOUCH WITH KAL FROM OFF HERE.

i believe he has got a mod that is very very similar to the A-Tec and here is the kicker its supposed to be cheaper and improved design. i say supposed as i have not seen one yet

ATB

Colin

Archived