new rifle

Well may as well start from the begining,i fancied a change in my rifle so i contacted Russ Gall of R.G.Rifles in Aberdeenshire after a bit of discussion i opted to have my remi blueprinted ,kreiger barrel pillar beded into my original stock,custom bolt and screw cut for my t-8, when i got the call to send the rifle i decider rather than send it i would deliver it personaly,after a five hour drive i arrived a Russ Galls place (god bless sat nav took me right to his door)after a cuppa and a bit of crack it was off to his office to discuss the work to be done he showed me a couple of his own rifles he built and i have to say they were art works in themselvs , i saw one with a Mcmillan A5 stock and that was it he had a A5 and a hunter stock, so a quick change of mind i went for the A5 instead of my original stock,then off to the workshop as i decided to change the stock i had to use a heavier profile barrel as the one he was going to use just didnt look right in the A5,so now it was a kreiger barrel (26 " 1 in 14) pillar beded into a A5 stock custom bolt with sako extractor had work done on the trigger replaced T8 with T4 AR moderator to keep the weight down a bit, single shot follower fitted, new rings lapped and scope fitted teflon coated action ,bolt handle and jeweld bolt body,then the five hour drive home.Received phone call on monday gone to say rifle was finished now as Russ was travling to diggle to shoot a benchrest comp this weekend we aranged a meet at services near carlisle have to say on first impression i was well chuffed with the work, he told me the way he runs in the barrell,discussed the use of the redding bushing dies,he also showed me another rifle he was taking for another client and i think it should have been in an art museum,so now its getting some brass loaded, fireforming geting the sights set up again and back into action and i cant bloody waitdscf0046aq5.jpg

total weight of finished rifle turned out at 14lb

dscf0054ml2.jpg the dies i also purchaced with the rifle

That looks one sweet rifle ;) I hope you have a lot of fun with her.

The Ackleys are great fun and brass is so easy to form.

My .22-250 Ackley and I are becoming very good pals, I hope you have as much luck with yours as I have had with mine.

Cheers

Dave

Great looking rifle Colin,i bet you are glad you spent the money now ;) How about we meet up for a bit shoot again soon and i will talk you into building another one :D

That sounds expensive :D but fun :D

Dave

Great looking rifle Colin,i bet you are glad you spent the money now :D How about we meet up for a bit shoot again soon and i will talk you into building another one :lol:

another shooting meet would be cool well Martyn i guess it was you that set things going Cheers the only thing is if my partner finds out the real cost i am afraid i am gona have to blame a certain shooter from the north east :lol: as for 308's quote that is exactly what i said to Russ when i saw the rifle

Colin once i get things sorted with this new sprog i will give you a shout to go out sometime,Varminter is also heading up this way for a shot or two sometime so it would be goood if we could arrange it for the same time.

Thats one sweet looking rifle there buddy :lol: :lol: :D

I shall look forward to seeing how she goes!!!!

All the best................

RAY......................... :D :D

Looks great , hope it goes well for you. How long were you waiting?

once he had the rifle turnaround was two month which i thought wasnt to bad

very, very nice rifle there, I wish peopel would stop putting pictures up of macmillan A5 stocks I am really after one and am resisting the urge quite poorly at the moment. Anyone know how much one runs for?

very, very nice rifle there, I wish peopel would stop putting pictures up of macmillan A5 stocks I am really after one and am resisting the urge quite poorly at the moment. Anyone know how much one runs for?

What! Like these :P

PICT0632.jpg

FLG_2230.jpg

ok I get the message, Ill go get one, anyone know who has them in stock? How much do they run for?

My Mcmillan stock worked out at £580 i could have bought a cheaper stock but just liked the look and feel of the A5

My Mcmillan stock worked out at £580 i could have bought a cheaper stock but just liked the look and feel of the A5

hi -

I'm one of the first ones to call MC late, and i have fell out with them a couple of times,

but i still think the rest have still got some catching up to do.not seen one yet that comes close to a MC Milan.

Hi foxshot, bit off the topic but what sort of bipod is that attached to your (jealous) sexy looking rifle?

EDIT:- Sorry, just looked properly and found a write up on them on this site. It's still a nice looking rifle though!

Archived