5,6x50R Mag

DL.

For some reason, I have found myself wanting a rifle in this calibre. I have a smith ready to do the work. It's the availability of component parts for reloading that bothers me.

I would just shoot the RWS factory made ammo, but it was the ability to shoot 75gr bullets that appealed to me.

The only place I could find dies was midway usa, I have no idea where I could get brass from & I don't know if I would need to use magnum primers.

Although I have convinced myself this is a good idea, there are a great many unknowns on this one, & I was hoping someone had been there & done it with a similar european calibre, and would put a couple of pointers my way. :(

Kick me if l'm wrong, but isn't that what the Yanks call the Savage High Power?? and something also rattles me brain into thinkin' that the German version uses a dodgy sized boobalit .226/8 or something like that..... ok it's 03. bloody 15 in't mornin' and it's been a long nite.... trust me.

Kick me if l'm wrong, but isn't that what the Yanks call the Savage High Power?? and something also rattles me brain into thinkin' that the German version uses a dodgy sized boobalit .226/8 or something like that..... ok it's 03. bloody 15 in't mornin' and it's been a long nite.... trust me.

Very,very close, the .22 Savage High Power is an awkward one because the bullets aren't .224 like you say, it's 5.6x52. There is also 5.6x57, but that is just a bit too much gun from my perspective,basically a .22 on a big long case.

I thought the 5.6x50 would be the sensible option because of the availability of bullets,but the cases & dies might blow the whole idea out of the water.

If thats the case then build one on a case that you can get, it seems to launch a 55gr bullet at 3300fps so maybe 22.250 but I suppose that is the boring way of doing it.

Couple of possabal sources here

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_...amp;forum_id=37

A

if you're just looking for something different, then consider the 225 winchester. Dies and brass are readily available. It is a rimmed cartridge and should be about the same size as your 5.6x50R. It will do 22-250 power in a unique package.

Thanks,

Rick

DL.

Why make a rod for your own back ?

The 5.6 X 50R was made mainly for use in combination weapons , brass, dies etc will be difficult to source and you will end up with a weapon with little or no appeal to others should you ever wish to part with it.

A .22/250 with a 1 in 12 twist barrel would be a far better option with brass and ingredients easily sourced almost anywhere.

That twist rate would easily stabilise even the 60gr Hornady and 63gr Sierra bullets if needed.

My old Tikka Continental .22/250 killed scores of Deer in Eire in the bad old days of .22cfs only and was a ragged one-holer with most bullets.

Even the humble .222 Rem or .223 Rem would be better than the 5.6 X 50R .

HWH.

Both 5.6x50R Magnum and 5.6 Savage are fairly low on pressure. 3400 bar / 3300bar vs 4050 for a 22-250 or 4300 for a 223.

If you are looking for load data I could find some on them.

In the states the tight twist 223AI seems to be getting popular as a small deer rifle with 75gr a-max's.

edi

Thank's very much Gents,for the help so far.

I must admit, It was not my idea to get a rifle chambered in this calibre,it was a suggestion from my Gunsmith, I will need to get him to allay any concerns I have,hopefully over the next couple of weeks.

Looking at the RWS catalogue ( in metric)

3.6g bullet Mv 1000m/s @ 200m - 702m/s

ME 1800j @ 200m - 887j

4.1g bullet Mv 900m/s @ 200m - 656m/s

ME 1661j @ 200m - 882j

Looks promising :P

A friend of mine used to have one and thought it was excellent, he was always trying to talk me into getting one. He did a lot of Roe stalking and foxing with it and liked it better than his 222 or 22/250 he had previously used. Last time I spoke to him he had swapped it for a rimless version just because the new rifle he wanted was'nt available in the rimmed chambering. I think he still has a load of cases and some factory ammunition for 5.6 x 50R. Next time I see him I can ask and drop you a PM if he has any left if you like.

A friend of mine used to have one and thought it was excellent, he was always trying to talk me into getting one. He did a lot of Roe stalking and foxing with it and liked it better than his 222 or 22/250 he had previously used. Last time I spoke to him he had swapped it for a rimless version just because the new rifle he wanted was'nt available in the rimmed chambering. I think he still has a load of cases and some factory ammunition for 5.6 x 50R. Next time I see him I can ask and drop you a PM if he has any left if you like.

Now that is a really kind offer, The reason it would be the rimmed version is the Smith is making me a falling block rifle, otherwise I would have chosen rimless too.

In that case I would reitterate what I said about the 225 Win. The numbers you have below are basically the same as you'd get from a 223. That is a 55 gr at 3250 fps and a 64 gr at 2900. Those are pretty standard numbers for the 223. Since you're in a falling block you said you want a rimmed cartridge. You also mention that shooting heavier bullets is appealing. The 225 win will give you better numbers if loaded to top levels, while starting loads are in the same general area as the 5.6x50. If you want to use heavier bullets you have some more case capacity to work with than the 5.6x50 and 223. Dies and brass are easier to get. I'm not sure what factory ammo is like to get over here, but I'd bet you can order it in. Seems a no brainer to me.

Thanks

Rick

Just had a look on a couple of sites about the .225 win.

They list it as using a barrel that is .223" bore as opposed to the .224" bore used by the .222 , .223, .22-250, 5.6 x 50, .220 etc etc. Just something worth noting before choosing.

http://www.lothar-walther.de/161.php

I'll need to go with what the gunsmith recommends, looking at the walther barrels list, I don't see a 5,6x50R not rimmed any way, or a .225Win, so options appear to be a bit limited, luckily I think the smith got the barrels in last year,so that's one less thing to think about, I just need to have a long conversation with him about the choices.

Just had a look on a couple of sites about the .225 win.

They list it as using a barrel that is .223" bore as opposed to the .224" bore used by the .222 , .223, .22-250, 5.6 x 50, .220 etc etc. Just something worth noting before choosing.

No, the 225 win is a .224" bore.

Thanks

Rick

http://www.lothar-walther.de/161.php

I'll need to go with what the gunsmith recommends, looking at the walther barrels list, I don't see a 5,6x50R not rimmed any way, or a .225Win, so options appear to be a bit limited, luckily I think the smith got the barrels in last year,so that's one less thing to think about, I just need to have a long conversation with him about the choices.

Are you getting a rough chambered barrel to start from and your smith will finish ream? Then it will depend on what reamers he has available (or is willing to rent for you). From the walther list in the link you posted, there is a 5.6x52R. if you look lower (where the 22-250 is) you'll see the 225 win listed.

Thanks,

Rick

I spoke to the gunsmith & was pretty disappointed, he said it would be in 1:14 twist to stabilise 50 grain bullets,as this is a competition winning combination, & to be honest, I haven't been looking to have a rifle built for this purpose, it sounds like he would be making something very similar to a .22-250, which has a place, but I have a .223 already, & wanted something dual purpose for vermin & Roe, wanting a decent 70gr+ load for the deer side of things, needless to say, I am now considering something bigger, the plus side is, it doesn't really have to be rimmed, & now I wont have to spend £100 on dies, or struggle to find brass.

With all due respect to your smith DL, you are the customer and he should be building what you want not want he wants to build for you.

If he cant oblige go elswhere.

If you are going to shoot 70grn+ Bullets you are going to need a 1in9" minimum twist barrel preferably a 1in8".

Ian

With all due respect to your smith DL, you are the customer and he should be building what you want not want he wants to build for you.

If he cant oblige go elswhere.

If you are going to shoot 70grn+ Bullets you are going to need a 1in9" minimum twist barrel preferably a 1in8".

Ian

Yes, I agree, I like this guys work, & the simple solution I can see is to step up to 6mm. Which would solve a few problems.

• 1 month later...

Just so as you lads know what I'm talking about,I found a pic online.

JWFallingBlock.jpg

Ps. I have no interest in promoting this guys rifles, I just like the fact they are something a little bit different.

A cast around to see a few other smiths work would be well worth your while before committing to anything. It sounds as though your smith was doing the choosing for you..

Make a big list:

What you want the rifle for (species of animals and or targets)

Wwhat calibres might be suitable for the abovementioned

How available are the components for the shortlist of calibres

What action (trigger etc will be dictated to a certain extent by this)

What barrel maker

How heavy

Which bullets (and hence twist rate)

Moderated or not (will dictate length)

What optics you intend to use

How much girly pink digicam and fluffy feather boa camo are you going to use.... :wub:

Aside from the last item-which is clearly a must have- you should spend loads of time researching each and every option cos you can spend shed loads of cash on someone elses idea of a custom gun. It might not be yours.

Have fun and make sure you pre order some girly pink duracoat from Kaleiderscope :lol:

Cheers

Gareth

Although a set of pink duracote would take some beating, I think with a rifle along these lines, a wee bit of engraving would be more in keeping!

The smith doesn't do custom work if that makes sense. He just knocks out rifles to the style that has captured his interest.

I would like to think that I could make decisions about barrel length & other technicalities, but in actual fact, I think I will just get the choice of the calibre & the rest will be done to his style of work.

Archived