Scope mounts

njc110381

Right guys. I've got my rifle and scope sorted (Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather and Edgar Bros 20x44 scope) and now I need some mounts. It's an area I have very little knowledge in and most of my guns have just got two piece mounts directly between the rifle and scope. The Tikka has optiloks, but someone else fitted them for me!

All I can find for the long action Winchester is Bases and rings. There are a lot of Weaver bases (that's like a rail that fits the rifle and then you use a standard mount to the dovetail on top right?) and also some direct fitting bases and rings. How do the seperate bases and rings work? Are they simple to fit? What makes are good? I don't know if I want QD mounts or fixed ones. I'm not really planning on changing the scope so I guess fixed will work unless the QD ones aren't much more expensive (then I may as well have them just in case?).

I'm a bit confused here. I've never used anything this technical and don't know what to buy! I'm very aware that this is an important component which is often overlooked, but I'm also aware that buying the expensive one may not mean I get the best! What's good (and hopefully fairly cheap!)?

Archived