Duracoat Review

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres another example of Kal`s excellent workmanship :lol:

IMG_0123-1.jpg

Mannlicher SSG in Advanced AmStripe

IMG_0124.jpg

The coating has to be seen to appreciate the quality and every design is unique with endless colour combinations

Kal`s currently got a Sako 75 stock to work on for me so more of that next week

Damn Kal,

I should have arranged for commision!! :lol:

WSM

I really like that finish, I am looking forward to getting mine back, trouble is I like that finish on yours :lol: Kal get the grit blaster run up, I have had a change of plan, I know you have been on it all week but that tigar stripe looks sh1t hot. :lol:

B-b

WSM

I really like that finish, I am looking forward to getting mine back, trouble is I like that finish on yours :lol: Kal get the grit blaster run up, I have had a change of plan, I know you have been on it all week but that tigar stripe looks sh1t hot. :lol:

B-b

Too late for that my precious! :D

Yours is all done and dusted. :lol:

Guest 308Panther

Workin Fine Here.....

Really like desert finish on the second one....

And Kal your own rifle looks hotter than some of the chic pic's I posted

308Panther

Guest 308Panther

Well...Given a choice of a date with a rifle or a date with one of them chics...

I 'ld take the rifle....

Rifles dont get jealous.

If you dont like the noise they make you can always "silence" them.

They dont complain about the cold,wet.

I like the look of that other tiger stripe too...the Mannlicher SSG.

308Panther

Thanks for the kind words about the review Gary and WSM,

The Duracoat finish has been used under "difficult" conditions a few times now - subjected to heavy rainfall and rifle slipped onto tarmac surface from side of L/R without any detrimetal effect on the paintwork.

I'm now considering having the 284 coated all over!

Sorry guys all the stripey and spotty stuff just doesn't do anything for me. Just makes the rifle look cheap and spoils the looks of what should be considered a fine piece of engineering craftsmanship. IMO

Now I can appreciate why someone would choose to have this one done.

308Fin.jpg

Sorry guys all the stripey and spotty stuff just doesn't do anything for me. Just makes the rifle look cheap and spoils the looks of what should be considered a fine piece of engineering craftsmanship. IMO

Now I can appreciate why someone would choose to have this one done.

Hoot

Whilst I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea, so too speak, the whole idea of Duracoat is not to make things look pretty, but it helps in some cases. Duracoat is a highly corrosive/rust resistant liquid polymer for coating Firearms. Add to this the parkerizing stage I will apply prior to Duracoat and any Firearm will not rust due to the elements.

Now to be honest rifles are tools for a job, I personally dont like wood furniture, one bad outing and bang goes you fine walnut stock. The work I do is usually for functional, practical working tools, which are used in the field day in day out, this is when Duracoat comes into its own.

Kal

Guest 308Panther

I never used to like synthetic furniture,I was alway a fan of nice high grade glossy finished wood....Then I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle in Camo,with the idea of Turkey Hunting knowin nice pretty shiny wood,shows up like a great big neon sign,that... and the SBE wasnt available in high grade wood at the time.

That one shotgun has done more to rechange my thinking about synthetics,and camo finish, then any ad or salesman could.In the 7 or 8 years I have owned it I have really put it thru some abuse.And if it was wood and varnish finished that thing would look like my 1917 BSA made Enfield .303.

There is a certain amount of peace of mind in knowing that the materials being used today are as big a jump in technological advances as those we see in other everyday products.

Is my Benelli less of a shotgun then my Browning Superposed Pigeon Grade?

No....Not by any means.

Both have their places...Not only in my gun cabinet...But in my heart as well.

Beauty,truly is in the eye of the beholder.

308Panther

Whilst I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea, so too speak, the whole idea of Duracoat is not to make things look pretty, but it helps in some cases. Duracoat is a highly corrosive/rust resistant liquid polymer for coating Firearms. Add to this the parkerizing stage I will apply prior to Duracoat and any Firearm will not rust due to the elements.

Now to be honest rifles are tools for a job, I personally dont like wood furniture, one bad outing and bang goes you fine walnut stock. The work I do is usually for functional, practical working tools, which are used in the field day in day out, this is when Duracoat comes into its own.

Jim

I fully appreciate the functionality of the Duracoat process and product. Like iI said, I like the one in my first post and would choose that if I decided I required such a finish.I am no enthusiast of high grade walnut on working rifles either. Synthetics have their place, just as laminates do.

Its the stripy, spotty stuff that I find hard to understand the attraction's of. Especially rifles intended for practical shooting or just range work. There's no animal out there for you to spook with a shiny stock now is there? As for rifles used for hunting/stalking. Its been proved repeatedly that animals just dont see colours and patterns as we do. Its lack of movemnet that counts first and for most. Geometric patterning was used in WW2 to hide battle ships. Theres no need for DPM or Flectairn if camouflage is you primary goal.

Like fishing flies, catching more fishermen than fish. Photorealistic, strippy , spotty, DPM, camo finishes have caught more shooters than they have ever put game in the bag.

But each to his own.

What would be the cost of having a rifle and stock coated as in the example I used?

Choice of stock and coating like most everything else in shooting is down to personal taste often before functionality.

For me the stocks that have no checkering loose a lot of points as with bad finger joints the additional grip provided is most welcome.

Others may feel similar and although most of the synthetic stocks cannot be checkered due to the gel coat you do now have an alternative. Similar to the griping surfaces offered on stocks by Tikka, Remington Hogue etc Pachmayer are selling a kit called Pac-Skin. It is a precut, pre shaped, rubberized gripping surface that will fit the contours of most stocks for Grip and Fore-end.

It seems to afford more grip than checkering and at the same time is suitable for all uncheckered stocks as well as looking rather 'professional'.

As far as I know Edgars are the official Pachmayer importers.

Choice of stock and coating like most everything else in shooting is down to personal taste often before functionality.

For me the stocks that have no checkering loose a lot of points as with bad finger joints the additional grip provided is most welcome.

Others may feel similar and although most of the synthetic stocks cannot be checkered due to the gel coat you do now have an alternative. Similar to the griping surfaces offered on stocks by Tikka, Remington Hogue etc Pachmayer are selling a kit called Pac-Skin. It is a precut, pre shaped, rubberized gripping surface that will fit the contours of most stocks for Grip and Fore-end.

It seems to afford more grip than checkering and at the same time is suitable for all uncheckered stocks as well as looking rather 'professional'.

As far as I know Edgars are the official Pachmayer importers.

Duracoat (Sorry Duraw*nk) can also be used for this purpose, if a stock has no grippy surface I can apply one. ;)

Kal

Guest 308Panther
Kal i take it that it is the dura wank and not the dura coat that provides the grippy surface? i would imagine it woulod be rather sticky and tacky therfore providing good grip??? :lol:

You got it 6PPC ;) wonderful feeling before and after! :lol:

Kal

Carefull,ya dont end up friction blisters... :lol:

Archived