Scope choice help please

AHPP

I want to periodically put a scope on my smallbore target rifle for (relatively) longer range sit-and-snipe rabbits and plinking; something that I can dial in with.

Reticle largely unimportant - I'll only be using the middle cross.

30mm tube preferable - I've got some Signature Zees with offset inserts that I'd like to use to get the maximum possible travel out of the scope.

Magnification can be as low as you like - I shoot better on low mag, they're generally cheaper and a large field of view is always nice.

1/4 or 1/8 MOA adjustments with turrets. Turrets ideally easy to keep track of - Don't want to end up getting lost in multiple rotations.

Objective as small as possible - Could live with 50mm but would rather not if I have a choice!

Any idea what can be sensibly had for not too much more than £300 second hand please? (I'm ready for a reality check if 300 is a little low!)

First thoughts were towards a Leupold of some sort...

AHPP,

That's a pretty unique request. Normally people want higher mag, specific reticles, and big objectives.

At the moment, £300 will get you about $450 if you're buying from the states. It isn't 2:1 anymore for sure.

From your description, you want clear optics and reliable/repeatable clicks primarily. Then it would be nice if you could use your existing mounts.

My first question is what is 'low' magnification? If you want a 3 power, you'll struggle to find a good quality scope with 3X and good turrets. If 10X is your game there are LOTS as that is the unofficial 'standard' for sniper competitions and tactical rigs. You'll also get high quality, 30mm optics, and good glass in that range. It doesn't meet all of your criteria, but the Bushnell elite 3200 10X is a good scope. If you want variable, the 5-15 is also an awesome scope. I had a 5-15 (without turrets) and it was an excellent piece of glass. The straight 10 is cheaper than the variable I think.

I would also recommend the Nikon Monarchs and Buckmasters (Fieldmaster). I have the monarch 6-24 and it is sweet. The glass is excellent and the clicks are positive and repeatable. There are no half-clicks. The 5-20 and 6-24 come with interchangable turrets (low and high hunters with covers and target knobs with no caps). Definitely some great turrets. The buckmaster was the scope I wanted when I bought the 3200. I had intended to get the 4.5-14x40, but all they had was the 50 or with a BDC. I didn't want either so I went with the 3200 and I'm very happy I did. If you want low power, you can get the 2.5-10 Monarch III, brand new for £350 from Uttings and possibly a bit cheaper from the states. You can add any of the target knobs you want, but they don't come with the scope (I might be convinced to sell one of my 3 sets if you go down that route).

Unfortunately none of them fit your criteria for 30mm, but I think they are all 40-44mm.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Alex

I'm with Casts by fly and rate the Nikon.

I have just purchased a Nikon Field-master for my 22LR and for the money it's superb. I will definitely be looking at these scopes again. I think perhaps the only thing that lets them down is their reticule choice.

I would have suggested a Leupold....But

They generally go more then you budgeted,

There are some deals out there tho.

Most 30mm tube scopes have a 50mm objective.

so finding a 30mm tube with a 40mm lens is gonna be tough.

Its like takin 2 steps forward and 3 back.

I can be flexible on the objective size. Smaller would be better but 50mm is fine if that gives me more options.

For ease of dialin ya want 1/4 moa clicks....1/8 is hard to keep track of.

Lotsa clicks.....its nice for really fine target work but a pain for huntin with.

I didn't expect many solutions with 1/8 clicks to come up but put it anyway just to open up options as much as possible. I've dialled in with 1/8 before so know what to expect. I'll be reading numbers, not counting clicks, so am easy either way.

Lower mag works better at night or lower light....as does a thicker reticle.

Thicker reticles make small targets at any range a pain to deal with.

At least for me anyways.

Fairweather only gun.

Thin ret would be nice. Hadn't given it any consideration.

As for mag, I said as low as possible to open up options. Other people might tend to rule out a scope if it didn't have big enough mag but I can live with 3-9. I can be less fussy on the magnification if it opens up more choices. 10x fixed might get us somewhere faster.

A couple of scopes do come to mind from Leupold.

Leupold Mk2's with a duplex reticle.They are quite abit cheaper then the Mk4's.And ya might be able to swing one new.

or a Leupold VX11 and some Stoney Points(or equivalant).

Only problem is those are on 1 inch tubes.

Mk4's and some VX111's are on a 30mm tube.

Had a quick scan at Leups last night. Will give them a more thorough going over in a few mins.

Weaver offers a few that may fit the bill.

Take a look at the Grand Slam or the V series.

Not sure of the tube size on these.

Simmons has a few as well....I had one on my Cz 452 for awhile.

An earlier White tail or Pro Hunter, I think it was(but not sure). 6-18x50 on 1 inch tube,(?)

Good scope,nice price....reticle was too thick for me.

Some guys like a thick reticle.....I found out I didnt.

Also take a consideration towards IOR/Valdada.

Good scope for the money....right about your budget number,but not sure of

the current exchange rates.

Well built,tough...may be abit on the heavy side.(weight)

IOR scopes available here fall over budget unfortunately.

308Panther

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

AHPP,

That's a pretty unique request. Normally people airsoft enthusiasts want higher mag, specific reticles, and big objectives.

:rolleyes:

At the moment, £300 will get you about $450 if you're buying from the states. It isn't 2:1 anymore for sure.

From your description, you want clear optics and reliable/repeatable clicks primarily. Then it would be nice if you could use your existing mounts.

Yes, yes and yes. The way a .22LR drops I'm going to need to use the Zees or I'll have to start buggering around with inclined scope bases etc.

My first question is what is 'low' magnification? If you want a 3 power, you'll struggle to find a good quality scope with 3X and good turrets. If 10X is your game there are LOTS as that is the unofficial 'standard' for sniper competitions and tactical rigs. You'll also get high quality, 30mm optics, and good glass in that range. It doesn't meet all of your criteria, but the Bushnell elite 3200 10X is a good scope. If you want variable, the 5-15 is also an awesome scope. I had a 5-15 (without turrets) and it was an excellent piece of glass. The straight 10 is cheaper than the variable I think.

Like I said above, I meant I just don't mind going to low mag. I could live with a 10x if it gives me more options but lower is always better.

I would also recommend the Nikon Monarchs and Buckmasters (Fieldmaster). I have the monarch 6-24 and it is sweet. The glass is excellent and the clicks are positive and repeatable. There are no half-clicks. The 5-20 and 6-24 come with interchangable turrets (low and high hunters with covers and target knobs with no caps). Definitely some great turrets. The buckmaster was the scope I wanted when I bought the 3200. I had intended to get the 4.5-14x40, but all they had was the 50 or with a BDC. I didn't want either so I went with the 3200 and I'm very happy I did. If you want low power, you can get the 2.5-10 Monarch III, brand new for £350 from Uttings and possibly a bit cheaper from the states. You can add any of the target knobs you want, but they don't come with the scope (I might be convinced to sell one of my 3 sets if you go down that route).

Will keep them in mind if I can't sort a 30mm option.

Unfortunately none of them fit your criteria for 30mm, but I think they are all 40-44mm.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Alex

I'm with Casts by fly and rate the Nikon.

I have just purchased a Nikon Field-master for my 22LR and for the money it's superb. I will definitely be looking at these scopes again. I think perhaps the only thing that lets them down is their reticule choice.

Cheers for the recommendation. Though bloody inch tubes rear their head again!

If you're coming to the BBS 200 to 600 falling back day could you bring it for me to have a look at?

Cheers for the recommendation. Though bloody inch tubes rear their head again!

If you're coming to the BBS 200 to 600 falling back day could you bring it for me to have a look at?

I will have to be there Alex, I'm organizing it!

I will not say the Field-master is the answer but there might be something in the Nikon range to suit your needs, I will bring it with me so you can at least see how good the glass is.

I will have to be there Alex, I'm organizing it!

I will not say the Field-master is the answer but there might be something in the Nikon range to suit your needs, I will bring it with me so you can at least see how good the glass is.

Grand. I need to find out when the day is then and come along.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the tips, chaps. Have got a 6-18x Bushnell (with the most stupidly marked turret you ever did see) for the job at the moment but still looking out for a better bet. Will bear in mind.

Archived