Zero distances

Alycidon

Just intersted on how you guys go about things.

Zeros are a very individual subject but at what distance do you have your scopes zeroed and at what distance do you usually have them set at for a wander in the fields .

On my rimmys using subbies its 50 yards, I know I can then go to 60 before aiming off.

On my PPC it is zeroed at 200 yards BUT most of the time the turrets are set to give a zero at 140 yards, first cross is 60 yards roughly. So I aim dead on out to about 160 yards before thinking to much about it, that covers 90% of my shooting.

I have just been playing with the charts for the BR and having found that Berger have now lowered the BC of the 50 grainer to .281 (from .295) I recon that 150 would do, first cross 50 yards. But this has been built to send bullets to the far ends of the county though so should I just zero it at 100 yards and dial, I can see little benift in this though especially as I am happy aiming straight at for most shots at foxes etc which will be below 200 yards normally. You would also loose the first cross zero facility.

A

I zero the rimfire at 60yds. Centrefires are at 200yds and dial from there. Don't shoot much under 200 unless stalking or lamping.

Berger have not changed their bullets just the BC to give a more realistic figure. I wish others would do the same lapua are miles out with their 155 scenar.

Don't own a rimfire.

All my centrefire rifles are zeroed at 1.5" high at 100 yds, from the 223 up to the 416. There is then no confusion whatever rifle I'm using. I seldom shoot beyond 200.

Peter

my .243 is sighted in at 114 yards and is dead on at that distance my 17hmr is at 75 yards, my .22 is 20 yards as i mostly use that on the qaud for rats nowdays and my shotgun is 35 yards ^_^

my shotgun is 35 yards ^_^

Now that explains why for years I could hit sweet FA with a shotgun, obviously I had it zeroed at the wrong range !!.

A

Guest Sprags

Hi Alycidon,

My .243 is zero'd at 100yds and I 'dial the shots', I love being able to do this too. Had a rabbit this morning at 289yds by dialing 2 MOA, and another two at 248yds by dialing 1 1/4 MOA

Before I could 'dial' the shots' I was 1 inch high at 100yds!

Regards,Sprags

Hi Alycidon,

My .243 is zero'd at 100yds and I 'dial the shots', I love being able to do this too. Had a rabbit this morning at 289yds by dialing 2 MOA, and another two at 248yds by dialing 1 1/4 MOA

Before I could 'dial' the shots' I was 1 inch high at 100yds!

Regards,Sprags

Thats the way my boy!!!!!! ^_^:o

Good fun , aint it!!!!! :D :D :D :D

All the best.....................

RAY............................................... :D;)

Guest Sprags
Thats the way my boy!!!!!! :o;)

Good fun , aint it!!!!! :D:D:D:D

All the best.....................

RAY............................................... :D:D

Good fun aint the word Ray,........ :D

I absolutely love sitting out waiting for the rabbits to show themselves! B)

I have said it before and I will say it again, I owe NorthernChris a massive thank you for setting my rifle up and developing the load for it, he has created a monster... ^_^

Regards,Sprags

308 Zero at 100yds, when stalking in thick cover I leave on zero, if in open terrain I just put three cm clicks up about 175m zero. Anything further than 200m I dial in.

22-250 or 243 similar mostly leave on 1" or 30mm high. dial from there.

edi

Good fun aint the word Ray,........ :o

I absolutely love sitting out waiting for the rabbits to show themselves! B)

I have said it before and I will say it again, I owe NorthernChris a massive thank you for setting my rifle up and developing the load for it, he has created a monster... ^_^

Regards,Sprags

Great to hear you are having fun!!!

Accurate rifles are fantastic arent they!!! ;):D :D :D :D

Myself - all centrefire rifles are zeroed for 100yds - then dial out for the longer ones!! :D :D :D

All the best......................

RAY.........................................................

I 've always used 100yards as a zero for my Centerfires,and sight dead on @ 100yrds.

As this is where the click value matches the amount of movement for the reticle.

This also makes keeping track of dialing easier too.

Rimfires,I set at 50 yrds.Rare that I push a rimfire past 100 yrds.

Tho,I have.

308Panther

Im the same as you mate, 100 yards dead on for easy of dialing a 1/4 MOA makes things so much easier.

This is for everything from 17hmr to 308 (apart from the shotguns) being a wildfowler my shotguns are zeroed in for atleast 200 yards so i can keep up with the high shooting feternity!! :D

Im the same as you mate, 100 yards dead on for easy of dialing a 1/4 MOA makes things so much easier.

This is for everything from 17hmr to 308 (apart from the shotguns) being a wildfowler my shotguns are zeroed in for atleast 200 yards so i can keep up with the high shooting feternity!! :D

You one of them marsh cowboys we all read about?????? :D:lol::lol::lol:

Zero the 17hmr at 75 yards the .22 at 60 yards and the BR an inch high at 100 yards.

Seems to work for me, I've not really got into the dialing yet as most of my shooting is under the lamp. It would be nice to meet up with one you long range boys to show me the ropes?

Cheers

Neil

Zero the 17hmr at 75 yards the .22 at 60 yards and the BR an inch high at 100 yards.

Seems to work for me, I've not really got into the dialing yet as most of my shooting is under the lamp. It would be nice to meet up with one you long range boys to show me the ropes?

Cheers

Neil

Cheers

Neil

You turn up, they show you a steel target suspended on a frame so far away it's bloody stupid to even think you can hit it.

They have a look at what you are shooting, give you a few scope settings. You reset your scope, line it up on a bench and (this is the painfull bit, look away if you are of nervous disposition), squeeze the trigger and after an age the plate may go BONG and buck about. May take a shot or three for this to happen but once it does you are stuffed. You will never look at a 300 yard rabbit the same again, then or course you want/need to go further still, maybe with a bigger round, etc etc .

First time I tried it I saw a crow collect a packet at nearer 600 yards than 500. The guy then proceded to place round after round within six inches or so of a white rock in some drilling at over 800 yards. And I was limiting my 22.250 to about 200 yards, I just needed the right optics and dialable turrets. I was amazed that I could hit a white rock at 500 yards pretty often once I got the settings right.

A

They are great lads actually, I am sure you will love it.

Archived