Remington 700 VL SS Thumbhole .223REM

Traded in my Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless today, we weren't getting along as well as we should have been so I decided to call it quits. I was absolutely delighted to make back almost what I paid for it and I'm sure with a more bit of stick-it-out-ivness I'd have made it to what I paid for it! Anyway, that chapter is now closed and a new one has opened.

I was sold once I clapped my eyes on this. Nice trigger for a Remington, adjustable with allen keys I believe, wasn't far off the Tikka trigger which I had adjusted all the way down. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this model Remmy? Already thoughts of bedding etc are going through my mind. I've yet to get her licenced but that shouldn't be a problem and tomorrow she's away to get screw cut for a moderator.

Opinions, thoughts? She's going to be a (foxy) foxing gun 95% of the time and the other 5% will be spent greycrow/magpie busting.

For the future what should I be thinking of doing to improve accuracy? (Hopefully she'll be shooting one hole groups at 100 yards when I get her.... I can dream!).

Guest 308Panther

Sorry to hear you and the Tikka didnt get along...

That Rem has some nice clean lines to it...Good lookin rifle.

It will be very interesting to hear how well it shoots,and if it

shoots as good as it looks your in for beautiful new relationship.

Best of luck.

What kind of scope and mounts do you plan on using?

308Panther

John

I've yet to see a Rem 700 that didn't shoot at least MOA groups out the box, if you load your own expect this to tighten and then consider getting it bedded (pillar or skim or both) Bedding could cost upwards of £300 depending where you go...

The laminate stock should respond well to a skim bed, but personally I would look at load development before going that route.

However, if you happen to be going to the mainland via the port of Heysham, i'm not too far from there and I could do it if you if you wish. I do several Rem 700's each year. :D

She's a .223REM, that's what the Tikka was so it's easier to swop a .223 for a .223.

I'm not allowed to reload being in Ireland. A few people over do do it but.... Not worth the risk for me.

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 to go on her, currently have Optilock mounts but I'll have to change those, maybe for Warnes. What do ye folks reckon?

Thanks for the offer Andy, it's well off in the future though.

A nice looking rifle i am sure you wont be dissapointed with the performance i know i wasnt with my remi 700 in 223

Lovely looking rifle!! am sure that you will love it???, I had the vssf for 6 years before i sold it and it was fantastic!!!!, keep us upto date on how you get on with it, and how it shoots????,

If you do start to reload give us a shout as i have still got all of my reloading data!!! :D

allthe best from wales darrel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived