nxs nightforce which one

BIGDOG

spud Posted Today, 09:19 PM

get the 32x mate you can never have to much magnification

Disagree,

The more mag you have the smaller your field of vision, that is fine for paper and steel target work but in foxes etc you need to find them in the scope quickly, fire and then watch to make sure they go down.

You wont go much beyond 400 yards, therefore the 5.5x22x50 would be more than enough but I would want a look at the new 32mm NSX. There is info on this scope on the US sites. That would serve your purpose very well I recon but it does not looklike Ruag import it yet. In use against the foxes etc at night I shoot at about 7x or 8x, that gives a wide field of view and more than enough mag to place the shot and see whats going on.

http://www.ruag.co.uk/?p=51&id=122

I am using the NP2DD ret on my 20BR when I can get time to put it together in a 5.5x22x50. My best scope in low light is a little Ziess with a 36mm lens and a 25m tube, big objectives and high mags are simply a handicap in a night and high seat pest control role not a help IMHO.

A

here is the link to the 32mm NSX

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVE...-10x32nxs_.html

i agree with the comments but if you spend all that money on a scope why go for a compromise the extra magnifiv=cation is always there if you need it

personally i have a 32x power and when i go lamping i use it onthe 16x setting as long as i have a decent lamp there are no probs, the lamp i use is probably the same as 90 percent of all members the lightforce

this is just my findings and i am willing to be shot down in flamnes

In use against the foxes etc at night I shoot at about 7x or 8x, that gives a wide field of view and more than enough mag to place the shot and see whats going on.

Same as that, I've mine set at 8x. The odd time I'll zoom up a little 12-14 for longer shots but it's noticeable how the image darkens when going up through magnification.

Had a 12-42 for a while, couldnt get on with it at night at all ;)

Wish I had kept the Bugger now for the long stuff :D

I have used a 5.5-22 thats a cracker for night work, if you have to use more than 22 power at night you must have some lamp to see out that far ;)

Good luck Andy :D

Guest varmartin
which mag is best suited to my 204 to be used mainly for lamping and highseat shooting foxes the 55x22x 56 or the 8x32x56

On a .204 mainly for foxing/lamping the 5.5-22 x 56 will be all the mag you will ever need.

Not only that.....the 22 x has 100 MOA adjustment compared to 65 MOA for the 32x.

So if you ever require a long range ie ..600 yard plus rifle you will still have the right scope to swap it over to.

On a .204 mainly for foxing/lamping the 5.5-22 x 56 will be all the mag you will ever need.

Not only that.....the 22 x has 100 MOA adjustment compared to 65 MOA for the 32x.

So if you ever require a long range ie ..600 yard plus rifle you will still have the right scope to swap it over to.

could somebody tell me when am i going to use anything under 8 x and is the field of view the same on a 8x nxs as it is on a sawroski

Totally agree with John & Alycidon, why not get the 12 x 42, Spud :P:P

lol i shot my self in the foot there didnt i ;);)B):wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

could somebody tell me when am i going to use anything under 8 x and is the field of view the same on a 8x nxs as it is on a sawroski

As Al said, if you lose sight of a fox you may wish to zoom back out to increase your field of view and reaquire your fox. It's very useful to have that option and Nem has further reinforced the argument talking about a supadupa lamp for 1,000 yard night shooting ;)

Also if you've got a fox in close 5.5x is preferable to 8x for offhand shots - trust me.

I don't know about the FOV on the different scopes, I'm sure their respective websites would have that information.

I have taken people with hi mag scopes out foxing, on more than one occasion they cant find the fox in the scope when they have it wound up and have lost the shot as a result. Hi mag = critical eye relief, small field of view etc.

In fairness I have looked through a 12x42x56 with a mill dot ret at night on a 243 Sako, on 12x it is livable with but I find lower mag settings far easier to use. What I still cant see is why some people seem to think that 56mm is a basic requirement. I think they would be surprised looking through a smaller lens of NSX or better quality in low light.

My friend with the NSX also has a set of Ziess 56mm Night owl binos, excellent bits of kit. I took my 7x42 Ziess BGATs one night to compare performance in the dark. The only difference was the size of the viewed area, you could see no more with his 56mm than my 42mm lens.

Thats why for our friends requirements I recon the 32mm or 50mm is a far better option.

A

thats the ones ;) ive got two 5.5-22x56 NP2DD simply awesome

right then i maybe able to help you out on this one ;) i have the .204 for foxs and i have both scopes the 5.5x22x50 nsx and the 8-32x56 nsx nightforce scopes ..the 5.5-22x56 sits on top of my 25-06 deer rifle better for better dusk work with out the aid of a light but i love the 8-32x56 on top of my .204 good for day time and night shooting if you use a lamp and for long range or setting up your rifle or even target shooting for fun ..night time i have it on 12x power to start with as most foxs are 100yrds out or more and i dont get no enjoyment shooting foxs any closer than 130yrds plus..both will do the job but if your thinking of doing any long range shooting in the future go for the 8-32x56 as you get the best of both worlds .i dont think you will see much out of both scopes when past 20x mag at night with the use of a filltered lamp ..i can put the 5.5-22x50 little NP2DD dot on a hares eye at 175 and still see some of its eye colour ? the .204 is a varmint rifle shooting small stuff so by makeing it look bigger will help in you hitting it ..it does me ;)

Bigdog,

I wouldnt turn your nose up at the 3.5-15 x50 or 56 RR

The dots on the reticle sit clearly inside a 2 inch disc at 400yds and you can still see daylight round it! At 500 yds Im guessing it would be about the same size as the 2" diameter disc. Just food for thought! Not 100% sure bbut would have thought 500 yds would be about max range for a .204 anyway for reliable hits?

ATB

Pete

Archived