Case Triming

foxshot

Once i get my 223 blueprinted (223 ack) do you think it would be worth triming the brass i intend to use which is lapua , and if so what accessories would be best and easiest to use considering i am a novice at the handloading game

Foxshot,

It is always worth trimming your cases as over time they will tend to stretch in differing amounts.

I use and would definitely recommend the Wilson case trimmer with micrometer attachment.

forgot to ask about neck turning would this be worth the time involved and again what gear would be easiest to use , seen quite a few at sinclairs

from what I gather you only really need to neck turn if you have a tight neck chamber. There is no point in neck turning to a standard no turn chamber as the brass will fit fine but if youre brass was particularly bad for variances in thickness around the neck area then maybe neck turning would be wise even with the no turn chamber but as youre using laupa brass I dont think it would be needed. Please correct me if I am wrong but i think this is how it goes.

The Wilson is good but lots of bits to buy afterwards and I really cant see the need for super precision in trim to length so long as they are under the max length of case and all the same.

I have one of these and it works fine and is consistent :-

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage....leItemID=795961

Incidentally trimming to length is a vital step in case prep, once the case grows to the point that the neck is into the leade of the rifling ( and it doesnt take long on the hotter rounds ) it can raise the pressure to the point of bursting the barrel/ blowing the bolt out in a worst case scenario, as there is nowhere for the neck to expand to to release the bullet.

The K&M neck turner is one of the most popular, but whether you need one just yet I wouldnt like to say, but I would concentrate on getting your loads as consistent as possible and find the bullets that do best in your rifle first.

Redfox

One of the many advantages of the Ackley design is that the case is much less susceptible to case stretch, and like Redfox says the most important aspect is that they are all the same.

On neck turning, if you intend to use Reddings or any others bushing dies, in order to take full advantage of these dies you must at least perform a neck cleanup cut.

Ian.

I agree Ian, I was just not spending all his money at once :D , but without a cleanup concentricity is not guaranteed, so you cant get best accuracy.

Its what we all keep talking about, removing the variations from one round to another.

Long range accuracy doesnt just happen by luck, it is removing variables one by one.

Redfox

Archived