22 Hornet

Hodgon's Lil Gun powder, 13 grains with any bullet weight from 30 to 46 grains. Hard to get on your side of the Lake, but worth the efforts. The loads are accurate and best of all, generate respectable velocities at low pressures. For instance, a maximum charge with a 40 grain bullet only generates 24K in pressure while giving about 2900 ft/sec. That's 22LR pressures. Brass lasts forever.

My CZ 527 American will consistently stay at half MOA with the Hornady 35 grain V-Max and 13 of Lil Gun. It is my favorite rifle/load combo. Reliable, accurate, and has no discernible temperature sensitivity. ~Andrew

This is a fairly common grouping

LilGunGroup015CROPPED.jpg

In my BRNO Hornet, my favourite load is 13 grains of Lil' Gun and Hornady 40 grain V-Max, very accurate. Andrew is right about the Lil' Gun it is, or at least up in my part of the Highlands, a bugger toget hold of. !3 grains of that with whatever bullet suits your gun.

I know that Andrew's CZ is a very accurate gun, but he still lust's after my ZKW, maybe one day.....................

John

Ian,

There is a very good article on the 22 Hornet in todays Shooting Times.

With all the wrong pictures. Does nobody proof read it or do they just not know what they are looking at??

With all the wrong pictures. Does nobody proof read it or do they just not know what they are looking at??

Probably both, bet Bruce Potts is not a happy chappie.

A

I know that Andrew's CZ is a very accurate gun, but he still lust's after my ZKW, maybe one day.....................

John

John: How right you are. Not too many 1949 Brno ZKW's in my area! Bring it along next time you come and I'll swap you a 10/22 rifle for it.~Andrew

PS: I got looking at Hodgdon's site the other day. 13.0 grns of Lil Gun is the max load for every bullet weight from 33 to 55 grains. With all loads, the pressures are under SAAMI Max.

PPS: John?? I got 24 prairiedogs this afternoon with my CZ.....

So, your going to swap me a Ruger rimfire for my 1949 BRNO, let me thing about it.......................... I thought, NO. But, you can shoot it next spring, the bunny population seems to be on the up, on your favourite croft.

John

John,

You'll let me shoot it? Last time you only let me carry it! Your generosity touches me. You always were the kindest of souls. ~Andrew

(Actually, I was thinking of swapping your Ruger for that Brno. Don't forget you have an orphan stranded here.)

sorry for the late reply I've been on my hols

thanks for the help I've got some 35gn A max and reserved some lil gun at the gun club, so I'll have a little play next week, I've also been told that I'llalso have to mod my mag as the round may be too long

Ian

No. If you load the 35 grain V-Max you can load to 1.730" (magazine length) with excellent results. If you can locate small pistol primers, give them a go. If not, shy away from Bench Rest primers due to their (generally) higher ignition temp. Standard small rifle primers will do quite well. I also crimp my loads with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. This cut my group size significantly. Good Luck! ~Andrew

Gunmart did the similar this month. A test on a SH AYA Number 4 and the tech spec at the end of the piece was for a new Beretta O/U, pretty slack on both counts I would say with the ST cock up being very unproffesional indeed. It has a female editor :lol:

I read an article in our version of Shooting Times that showed a belted centerfire rifle case where there was supposed to be a .308 Winchester casing. The same issue had a very flattering article on a hi priced rifle that -according to the text- was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. Unfortunately, the photo showed the bullet spread covering more than 2, one-inch squares on a grid target and the line drawn where the group was measured was between the closest two holes, not the farthest! Maybe they figure we don' t pay attention??

Back to the Hornet, though. Has anyone tried the P. Partizan 22 Hornet brass? The Winchester and Remington brass we can get here is very inconsistent in volume. I have stayed away from shooting S&B, even to get brass, and although I have found a wholesaler that carries the Partizan, they will only sell in 10K lots! Before I pursue it further I'd like to hear any feedback that's available. Thanks! ~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived