Project 6.5x284 aka "SpudGun"

There are also some variants within the "main" standard

6.5-284 Norma

6.5-284 Shehane

6.5-284 Win

All are similar, the Shehane has slightly blown shoulders allowing a couple of extra grain case capacity.

Norma produces factory ammo for their own case.

"284 Win" is the necked down original from the 7mm (284 Winchester case)

Ive run a 6.5-284 for severl years, I am in the process or re-barrelling it after 3000 rounds, its a great calibre, for Deer, Fox or the range.

which one do i ask for when and if i get to the rebarreling stage

cheers mark

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;) thats real purdy.......but you need to `Krylon` the that which promotes growth and vigour outa it.....not realy... ;)

what is Krylon?

This is my baby

DSCF0867.jpg

She's a Stolle F class action with a 30" Krieger 8 twist barrel in a Mcmillan McHale stock.

She just loves 140 A max.

I use here for F-class shoots and this summer I hope she will get me in the 1000 yard club, with the help of Nemasis .243 ;)

Cheers

Dave

Guys this is one awsum tool ;)

It was from shooting this rifle/calibre it gave me the urge to buy a 6.5x284. ;)

Right then men, while i am waiting for Norfolk Constabulary to get a jiffy on.

Can i have some ideas, tips and info on the following please;

Load data (i am aware of 6mmbr.com)

Barrels (i am after a heavy weight varmint)

Bedding (pillar apposed to straight Bedding)

Picatinny Rails (Prices, fitting)

Thanks Mark

Update: Just had a telephone call from my local FEO and my application has been passed WOOT WOOT. Its just a case of printing my liscence off and getting it in the post. They said it will take a month but it only took 7 days.

Now where is my credit card. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers Mark

Update: I have just purchased a secondhand Sako 75 long action from MacCleod's in Scotland for £350 delivered, on a tip off from Moses.

Thanks Moses.

Mark

Question;

What barrel length and twist rate should i go for?

I will be mainly using 140g a-max bullets.

Thanks Mark

Question;

What barrel length and twist rate should i go for?

I will be mainly using 140g a-max bullets.

Thanks Mark

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Spud ,

I was using a 26 inch 1 in 8.5 twist barrel , then mix this with a Federal 210 match primer / 50 grains of H4831SC / 140 A-max seated 10 thou in lands / this gave 2800fps - a cracking longrange load!!!

As always , work up careful in your own rifle when you get her!!!

Shall look forward to it!!! :D :D

All the best..................

RAY............................ :D;)

what is the maximum barrell size a sako 75 IV action can take please i.e. 1.25 inches or 1.2 inches

thanks mark

Guest dasherman

For some reason I get a message " you cannot send a pm until April 10th" anyway it was a No 3 profile with a 1.200" shank turned down to the Sako diameter of 1.120". Very close to original sporter profile if you cut the barrel in the correct place. You can fit a larger shank diameter but you have to face the taper off the front of the action and then standard inletted stocks won't fit without a bit of work in the barrel channel.

For some reason I get a message " you cannot send a pm until April 10th"

That`ll be something to do with the new spam pm filter that IPS have been messing with over the last few days :) I`ll have a look at the settings now :)

Hopefully sorted now :D

For some reason I get a message " you cannot send a pm until April 10th" anyway it was a No 3 profile with a 1.200" shank turned down to the Sako diameter of 1.120". Very close to original sporter profile if you cut the barrel in the correct place. You can fit a larger shank diameter but you have to face the taper off the front of the action and then standard inletted stocks won't fit without a bit of work in the barrel channel.

Thanks Dasherman

I see on the Border Barrels webby they do a Tika heavy contour barrel with a 1.15 shank size will that fit?

If i wanted to, could i keep that size barrel conotur all the way up so in effect it would become a straight profile barrel?

Would the shank handle the extra weight also?

Thanks Mark

Upadte:

A Sako 75 IV action rifle has been purchased and is currently in Col48's possesion. I have ordered from dasherman a pac-nor f class barrel, 28 inches 1 in 8 twist with a number 8 contour, which will hopefully be fitted by him once he aint so busy and once finances are sorted. A McMillan Sako 75 Varmint stock has been ordered 60% olive 40% black, delivery times 20 weeks. Thats all for now.

Upadte:

A Sako 75 IV action rifle has been purchased and is currently in Col48's possesion. I have ordered from dasherman a pac-nor f class barrel, 28 inches 1 in 8 twist with a number 8 contour, which will hopefully be fitted by him once he aint so busy and once finances are sorted. A McMillan Sako 75 Varmint stock has been ordered 60% olive 40% black, delivery times 20 weeks. Thats all for now.

mmmmm tick tock goes mind excuse for a brain :lol: but ive been following a few threads on this site and this thread inparticular as this is what i want when my 6.5x55 gives up the ghost. cant wait to see the pics of the finished rifle and how she shoots etc etc

have you got a bullet in mind to put through her? im using 140gr amax at the mo' with 47g of Vit N560 to give .244" @100m its doing 2698fs

mmmmm tick tock goes mind excuse for a brain :lol: but ive been following a few threads on this site and this thread inparticular as this is what i want when my 6.5x55 gives up the ghost. cant wait to see the pics of the finished rifle and how she shoots etc etc

have you got a bullet in mind to put through her? im using 140gr amax at the mo' with 47g of Vit N560 to give .244" @100m its doing 2698fs

140 g a-max for me as well mate , it will be throated for that as well

• 2 months later...

update: at this moment in time action is wearing its barrel , its been through the proof house and has been vapour blasted bolt has been fluted and ai am still waiting for mcmillan to get a move on

been thinking of different triggers for the sako 75 but alas there isnt a lot out there apart from there stock trigger which i admit takes some beating, but i would like to fit a custom one if i could find one

Archived