Project 6.5x284 aka "SpudGun"

Right this is another project on the forum, if you think there has been to many please say and i wont go on about it. If you want to hear about it, i am going to do a blog type thread. From selection of calibre to deciding budget and finally building, with help from people on the forum only i meant to say. I have decided to do a 6.5x284 calibre rifle as i want a long range, fox shooting and deer rifle, i have put in for the relative variations so once my licence is back. "SpudGun" is a goer.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Neil, I only put in for my variation on Thursday and they said "it could take up to 4 weeks". I am already camped by the letter box. The more i think about it, the more i would like to go to a tactical style weapon using the sako 75 action if poss ( i am only thinking this action because i know them and to be honest the time scale in waiting for a BAT, SURGEON or RG Rifles action to turn up). And the budget is some thing i need to be wary of, i have a rough budget of 2k and maybe another k for glass unless one crops up. But as i say i am going to do this by contacts on the forum, i.e. seconhand actions stocks and the like. If i cant get it on the forum or from the forum members, i will have to wait untill one turns up. I do like the idea of getting Kal to do some of his magic as well. But open to ideas as well along the way.

Mark

I'm sure several members on here could get you a custom action within 48 hours, Baldiedave from SYSS for instance as they have/had Surgeon and I believe Lawton actions sitting on the shelf.

I did a project like this myself when choosing and ordering the components for my 6.5x47 and very enlightening it was as well. Do lots of research and look into every possibility.

I look forward to reading how your project goes.

I have to be mindfull of the budget as well, i dont mind pushing it a bit. Research is the word at the moment , how much would a lawton, surgeon be for a magazine type.

Mark

Good luck with the project Spud, sounds interesting. I'm currently trying to semi custom a Rem 700 in .204 and trying to source bits and services on here as funds allow. I've got an HS Precision stock so far which I'd like to get bedded by one of the guys on here, a few other plans are in mind too. I look forward to reading about yours, ATB Gareth.

Surgeons are sat on the shelf at around £1000 [i think] and the lawtons will be at heathrow on tuesday morning. They will be cheaper, but i dont know the exact figures.

Yea i know baldies work amd might be possibly going down that way. A question though on the syss website they do an accuracy international system for the remmy 700 will a surgeon action fir this?.

Mark

I have just bought an RPA 6.5x284 cant wait for it to turn up :) ,

I have used Daves(6MMBR) kelby and RPA and it sure does what it says on the tin :D

What about a second hand RPA and put a new tube on it :)

Yea i know baldies work amd might be possibly going down that way. A question though on the syss website they do an accuracy international system for the remmy 700 will a surgeon action fir this?.

Mark

Yes it will.

I have just bought an RPA 6.5x284 cant wait for it to turn up :) ,

I have used Daves(6MMBR) kelby and RPA and it sure does what it says on the tin :D

What about a second hand RPA and put a new tube on it :)

yes its a possible mate but i will need a repeater , do you know off one nem

Mark

mon/tue/wed, are workshop only days spud, and the phone isn,t answered. The rest of the week it is, and messages followed up on, otherwise we would never get anything done.

The surgeon is fully compatable with the AICS stock, no problem. It will accept any remmy 700 associated parts.

mon/tue/wed, are workshop only days spud, and the phone isn,t answered. The rest of the week it is, and messages followed up on, otherwise we would never get anything done.

The surgeon is fully compatable with the AICS stock, no problem. It will accept any remmy 700 associated parts.

thanks baldie ill phone you possibly in the near future

Mark

Hi Spud ,

Should be interesting to see how your project unfolds!!! ;)

Heres a idea , how about some specs and pictures to give you a idea of what people have had done in 6.5-284!!???

Heres one i used to own.................

DSCF1116.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Specs are ...

RPA Qadlite action

Border 26 inch barrel with 1 in 8.5 twist - 6.5-284.

Lazzeroni McMillan stock

All the best....................

RAY..................................... :D;)

Thanks for the piccies Ray. I do have one question and may be it is a question i should not really ask but here goes. I have been calling the calibre 6.5x284 and one or two people including Ray have been calling it 6.5-284, i have noticed in various reloading books as well both terms are used. Which if not both is the correct terminology?

Mark

Thanks for the piccies Ray. I do have one question and may be it is a question i should not really ask but here goes. I have been calling the calibre 6.5x284 and one or two people including Ray have been calling it 6.5-284, i have noticed in various reloading books as well both terms are used. Which if not both is the correct terminology?

Mark

You are welcome mate!!!! ;)

I have mainly seen it written as 6.5-284 but i am sure that distant varmint is not going to notice!!! :D

Mark forgot to mention , when you use a moderator on the 6.5-284 the recoil is so soft that you can spot hits on your long shots !!!

Also try the 140 A-max when shes built - i don't think you will be disappointed!!! ;):D

All the best...................

RAY............................................... :D;)

I think its designated 6.5-284.

Normally X means the case length ie 6.5x47

The 6.5-284 is formed from a 284 case so the - indicates the parent case.

ie .22-250 as this is formed from the .250 savage case.

Just a thought may be wrong?

Cheers

Dave

There are also some variants within the "main" standard

6.5-284 Norma

6.5-284 Shehane

6.5-284 Win

All are similar, the Shehane has slightly blown shoulders allowing a couple of extra grain case capacity.

Norma produces factory ammo for their own case.

"284 Win" is the necked down original from the 7mm (284 Winchester case)

Ive run a 6.5-284 for severl years, I am in the process or re-barrelling it after 3000 rounds, its a great calibre, for Deer, Fox or the range.

This is my baby

DSCF0867.jpg

She's a Stolle F class action with a 30" Krieger 8 twist barrel in a Mcmillan McHale stock.

She just loves 140 A max.

I use here for F-class shoots and this summer I hope she will get me in the 1000 yard club, with the help of Nemasis .243 ;)

Cheers

Dave

Anyone else want to share their photos and specs of their 6.5-284s?????

It will help Spud with ideas of what he would like!!!! ;)

All the best.....................

RAY............................................. :D;)

Good idea ray also any body got a possible secondhand .270 donor rifles possibly rpa, sako, accuracy int or the like but not a remmy please. if i go the remmy route it will be a surgeon from baldie.

Mark

Archived