.17HMR Range

leaseone

Hello to you all, I have a .17HMR and would be interested in what you think is the Max range for Bunnys is. ;)

I shot one at 20 yards and had no hole in it at all (did it die of shock) just a small amount of blood on the neck.

shot one at 172yrds in the head and it was not a pretty site using Vmax

I have tried the search but came up with no answer.

Hi Leaseone.

I use my 17 extensively for long range bunnies out to 200 yards. Beyond that and i find the velocity falls off very quickly. I use Remmy ammo only now as it's the most accurate in my Sako Quad.

Grant..

youve gotta just love the quad, i wouldn't swap mine for all the tea in china except for an Anshutz.

Guest Scotland Rifles

nothing wrong with a CZ mate.

longest crow on that 1 day summer last year was 243 yards, longest rabbit 212 yards.

but i shoot them as a pest controller, not to eat them.

bob.

20gr head shots are ok if you want the meat.

Been a long time since i've used my HMR and only just saw this post, but al the guys on here are saying 200 is probably as much as your going to get out to, which for a 17 grain bullet aint that bad! i compared the 17 gr ballistic tips (remington) against the 20gr hollow points (CCI) and found that the hollow points started to run out of steam past 150 yards where as the 17 grianers would carry out to 200 without to much trouble.

As i say havent used it for awhile, actually signed it over to my fathers ticket now but a cracking caliber for fox cubs, especally when there just starting to venture out by themselves. My best to date is 8 foxes in one night with the HMR, i can honestly say ive never had a fox run from a hit with a 17gr ballistic tip, but ive now moved on to bigger, (maybe not better) things! haha

Shrek

200 yrds is realistic, but be very carefull of cross winds as they do tend to get blown about quite easily.

I have to agree with Shrek. Past 150 yards the HMR runs out of steam and shooting at 200 seems a bit irresponsible to me.

I have an easier time killing game with my 22WMR at 150 than I do with the HMR. With 60 odd ft/lbs of remaining energy at 200 the V-Max bullets don't expand reliably. It is not a 200 yard varminting cartridge in my opinion.~Andrew

Guest varmartin

The CZ is arguably one of the finest out there...so don't be put off by its budget price.....

I use a Mauser .22 lr for close work....80 yards max..

Then get my CZ 17hmr out for the skittish bunny`s but find it is at best a 150 yard round.

The last two grey squirrels taken were 30 and 90 yards with my 17......bullet did not exit on the close one but cut the 90 yard one to shreds..!!

Remington ammo seems to produce tightest groups in my CZ, but have not purchased an ` fresh` ammo in months......cant help but grab the 7.62 lately.. :D

I have to agree with Shrek. Past 150 yards the HMR runs out of steam and shooting at 200 seems a bit irresponsible to me.

I have an easier time killing game with my 22WMR at 150 than I do with the HMR. With 60 odd ft/lbs of remaining energy at 200 the V-Max bullets don't expand reliably. It is not a 200 yard varminting cartridge in my opinion.~Andrew

With all due respect, i take exception to being labelled "Irresponsible" for using my 17hmr out to 200 yards.

I have a number of folk who will take all the rabbit meat i can give them so head shots are a must.

I take great care to ensure that one shot equals one kill. If i'm unsure of the shot, i don't squeeze the trigger, ie the bunny has its arse to me or is facing me. A head shot at 200 yards when the bunny is side on is more than possible and the bunny doesn't get up and limp away.

I appreciate that you may prefer 22 WMR and if that's what you're confident with, all well and good to you but please don't label me irresponsible because i have confidence with the HMR out to ranges that you don't..

Regards,

Grant...

Archived