222 zero problems

Guest 308Panther
Yeah. Sorry about the key holing misunderstanding. I read the post with one eye open after a 14hr night shift. :( ~Andrew

Yup...Know that feeling all too well.....BTDT and have several t shirts.

Several times a month my body just says "You aint sleepin"...and I go for 2 days and more...

And then when I finally do crash....I am out for a full 12-14 hrs..

308Panther

Hi,

Before you alter anything else, consider the following?

I have a 308 vs which was shooting well. I bought some prvi 150 gr to shoot and keep the brass. I actually purchased 300 and they come in 100 boxes with 2 boxes sealed in a bag. I shot the 200 sealed lot and was getting reliable 5/8'' groups so I thought I would not bother with homeloading at this price. All well and good. :(

After shooting the 200 lot I moved onto the 100 box. There is a target at home with 6 shots on it, all things same, distance, position etc with 2x 1/2''groups about 1.5'' apart. I did the usual checks and couldn't suss it. Went back to homeloads ok.

I shot some homeloads in prvi cases and some lapua cases at the next target. prvi homeloads 2'' group, lapua 5/8ths.

A while latter an idea occurred to weigh the cases and some were 7 grains heavier than the lightest. Now I don't know if this was the cause or not ? but surely the pressures would be all over? :(

In conclusion after a good start I lost faith in the product and so went back to lapua cased homeloads.

Others have had excellent results with these, but not me, are you in the same boat?

Paul

Nutty

I tried some Prvi ammo in my 243 and my sons. Whatever the reason we could notr get decent groups. It was 100grn stuff and we normally shoot home loads with 80grns no problem. Never did take it further just used the cases.

On Saturday last my friend and i were checking zero and he had mixed results with some 90grn Prvi some shot well and then we had a few flyers. Couldn`t narrow it down to batches as he had put it all into his ammo box.

I know a lot of people report good results with this stuff, we have just not been able to trust the consitency. Like others on this thread i prefer the home loads.

Cheers

Eddie

Nutty

Oooh, this feels all deja vu to me because I've had exactly the same problem and it took me quite a while to work out what was going wrong. Mine was with a Sako 222 and after rebarrelling, pillar-bedding etc I expected, but didn't get, bughole groups.

The problem turned out to be the Sako mounts and I note that this is a Tikka that isn't shooting. Tikka brand mounts by any chance? Although my scope and mounts appeared to be absolutely tight, when I took off the scope I found that the screw that comes from the front mounting block into the rings was slightly loose. Just enough to split my groups. I hope this is your problem as well because even though you'll kick yourself (like I did) there is an instant cure in the form of a screwdriver.

Best of luck.

Cheers cornishman. They arent tikka mounts and have been checked!! Ive been done by mounts aswell and it was the 1st thing I checked!!!! The rifles been stripped down, Ive sanded the barrel channel out a bit more, loaded 20 amax pushed with 19 grns of vec tu 2000 with a fed match primer and 12 hornady BT H/P with the exact same ingrediants!! This little lot will be chucked out the barrel either tomorrow night of fri night! Ive enlisted a good mate and the tools are coming along just incase it does the same then we can strip down and try again! Im not bothered about zeroing Im just going to fire the rounds with and without the moddy to see what happens!!!

Now you mention the mod :huh: it is a good idea to see how it shoots with and without it on.Did you have the rifle screw cut or was it done when you bought it? Perhaps it is not concetric to the bore and a bullet my be clipping one of the baffles,if it is an over barrel type the rear bushing could also have an effect if it is too tight a fit.

The only thing i would use privi in , is an old military rifle, enfield etc, because its no good for owt else, bin it nutty, and buy some decent quality ammunition, and remove a variable from the equation.Is it a sporter weight barrel? Privi is reknowned for running "hot" or at top end, and will rapidly heat a barrel up, fire a few, get it warm, and then recheck the barrel is still free floating, and use something of a decent width like a buisness card, not a bank note. This sounds to me like stock interference when the barrel is warm, but the ammo wont help either.

Ok here's an update!!!!!! Tried the rifle with homeloads tonight and factory (privi) It started quite good again but then the same happened! I had taken the rifle apart sanded the channel to rule stock touching barrel, even when hot a doubled piece of paper passed under it easily!!! We took the moddy of and it still wandered!! Up to now 4 different people have tried and its done the same with each shooter!!! I am going to load more rounds up and try the rifle again on tues with a different scope and mounts!!!! Now I honestly believ it is the scope as tonight there was no consitancey to the wandering, but every so often we would put 2 shots back to back into the same hole!! Ill post again after we have tried the rifle with a different scope and mounts!

Guest 308Panther

Are those new mounts taller,Same brand?Aluminium,Steel?

What was the differance between the mounts??old vs new ??

308Panther

Are those new mounts taller

No!

Same brand?

No I had hillver rings and bases, and know have a good quality Tikka ring which fits straight onto the action!!

Aluminium,Steel?

They are both steel!!

What was the differance between the mounts??old vs new ??

They just seem to fit better with a better space between the bottom section of the ring and the top section!!!

Archived