Long range scope - Max £400

Guest Tiff

I've got a max budget of £400 for a scope to go on my .308. It will be used for deer and also targets/rabbits out to 1,200 yards or so. Therefore target turrets, perfect tracking and at least 16x magnification, 60+ MOA elevation, plus a 30mm tube is required. Also a mildot ret or similar would be good.

I know the obvious choice is a S/H loopy VX-III, but I've had a couple of these and would like to have something different.

So what should I be looking at? Hakko, Falcon, MTC or even a fox firearms special ;) ?

All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tiff

hi tiff ,

dont take this the wrong way but you could do worst than looking at the nikko sterling nighteater i have just put a nikko scope on to my new howa 243 to go along with the ones on my 308 and 223 at the moment they are real good cracking lenses and the tracking is spot on as well just did a similar thing for a friend who wanted to look through my scopes and compare them to his leupould much to his dismay his first reaction was to clean his lenses and then he still couldnt make out a telephone pole about four miles away that was clearly seeable in my nighteater. also the contrast was a lot better on the nikko over the leupold.

the scope i have on my 308 is a 6 to 24 x56 extended iluminated mil dot ret with 11 power settings and side wheel paralax adjustment which in day light is not far off the shown range the only draw back is that mine is 10mm per click adjustment at 100 meters but if you are using a 308 it is a very accurate gauge at 100 yards as a click will stack the bullet holes on top of each other.

have mounted mine on a ken farrell 20 moa base to allow plenty of adjustment for those longer ranges but it also allows you to use medium height rings to keep the scope lowto the barrel centre line. and it has 100 clicks of vertical adjustment zero at 100 m is 17 clicks from the bottom of adjustment .

for night work and lamping simply set it to 8 to 14 mag what ever you perfer and set the paralax to 200 meters and forget it not missed at night withit lamping yet .

all in mine cost about 320 pounds for the base mounts and scope they are deffinately worth a look and they do what i want but its your money so you have to decided .

just as an aside the howa rifles come as a package complete with bases mounts and scope i paid the difference to go to an illuminated reticle over the standard nikko that was with it .

yours graham

Hi Graham thanks for the write up. Unfortunately by the sound of your description it's got 100 x 1cm clicks = approx 39 MOA . Which for me is just not enough to reach out there.

The 20x EB sounds interesting - but where can I get one from?

More ideas would be great thanks.

I'd have a long look at the Bushnell Elite 4200, 6-24x50 MD. It's got everything you want except the adjustment. It goes 50 MOA. Should be about the price range. For my eyes, the elites are tough to beat. You could use a 10 MOA base to get the 60 MOA you want.

I also have a nikon monarch 6-24 that is a great scope, however it doesn't have enough adjustment for you (I think it has 40 MOA).

Thanks,

Rick

If the stupid horse wasn't worth more than all my rifles put together, it would probably be in the freezer :);)

I hadn't thought of a Bushnell Elite and it does sound about right from the specs on the web. I'll try and look through one in a fortnight up at the Sportsman - If I'm walking by then!

Any experiences with Hakko's? Looking on fox firearms website they look within my budget and seem similar to NF in appearance?

All ideas are as ever greatly appreciated. For once I've got my feet up and plenty of time to research them on the net!

Damned good scopes (I have two...one the older NATO issue version, and a newer 10x SF). Really good scopes...

SWFA SS Scopes

Give Chris an e-mail for details, he's real good people...

These are probably the most under-rated, little known scopes out there that are comparable (and in some ways better) to Leupold LR/T scopes. Positive and consistent tracking, good glass and rugged as all get out.

Had my .308 out on Saturday that wears the 6x NATO version. Consistent 5 for 5 headshots on FBI K-9 targets at 500 yds. Not too bad for a 6x scope, in the desert with switching winds 5-11 o'clock, 5-10mph...

These SWFA scopes do look good. Does anyone stock them in the UK?

Also whats the difference between the EB sniper and SWFA SS?

I like the fact the SWFA has an etched ret - if I do put it on my .338 its one less thing to break!

Also how would fixed 10x Falcon Menace compare?

Cheers Tiff

Tiff,

I'd seriously doubt that anyone in the UK stocks them, as they are a special contract item between SWFA and Blount (who owns Tasco now). The SS scopes were from the high end Tasco part of the company, with the glass being made in Japan (same place Hakko gets their lense IIRC). As mentioned, you may want to e-mail Chris at SWFA to find out about international orders. If its a no-go, then there are other options I suppose. :)

I'm not real familar with the EB (Bushnell Elite?) scopes, as the Marine Corps generally has used Leupolds for their M-40A3's, so I can't give an honest comparison to the Bushnell.

Like I previously stated, I can not stress enough how well the SWFA SS scopes are made. You don't see many companies openly stating that their scopes are .50cal rated for recoil. The SWFA SS is a tad heavier than the Leupolds, but (IMHO) are worth the extra few ounces in weight when considering the reliability/ruggedness of the scopes.

BTW, the SWFA SS's are lifetime, no fault warranted. I dropped my .308 (I know, I still can't believe I was that careless) from about 4 feet, right onto the scope (rifle flipped over as I was struggling to keep it from falling). I sent the scope back as the bell/objective lense was bent (with a $10 inspection fee). Five days later I received a brand new scope with a letter saying the other was unrepairable, and as such, a new scope was sent with apologies for the inconvience for having to re-zero my rifle(?). Talk about "no fault, no questions" warranty! No demands for a receipt, no question about age (I had puchased the scope in Israel in the late 80's/early 90's when doing some training there). Now I don't know about you, but that's service in my book!

tiffs got an agent within a stones throw from him that stocks both hakko scopes and uso

a short trip down the road and on the way for a play he has access to eb 20x ss and can use mine to see if he likes

I can dial mine right up and right down then back right up and back and so on and so on then return it to zero and thats where it will be "on zero"

so he has a lot of options

I have owned two tasco ss's 20x and regretted getting rid of both but we all do silly things,,,,anyhows I bought a eb version and wow, I thought the tasco was alright but the quality of the eb is a lot better

the clicks are smoother and a dam sight more positive and the glass looks sharper too and have used it to shoot out to 1270 and it tracked spot on

120+ moa means even without a 20moa base (0 moa) I can dial in for 1550 shots

I got two leups and have had hakko's nikko's and most others but stick to my eb on my big toy coz I can trust it to do the that which promotes growth and vigour load of dialing we do shooting bunnies, stones, cow pats, dog sheeehite etc etc at extended ranges

MarinePMI thank you very much for your help, you've almost definitely sold it to me. Would you recommend the side focus over the rear focus, or is either just as good? Just wandering because the side focus is a bit more money and wasn't sure if this was down to simply parts/build time or construction quality (guesing its the first?).

The EB's are edgar brothers scopes and seem to be around the same money spec, so was curious if they were from the same factory...but guessing from your post SWFA have exclusive rights.

Varmartin, I did have a 4.5-18 Falcon, but my .338 easily dismantled it for me :) For some reason in my head I seem to think a fixed mag is more robustly built, or at least has less to break....

Silent it would be good to have a look at/through your scope...maybe I could drop by the next time the Cornish fruit slayers meet on mass? It sounds like it will be between the SWFA and EB.

Tiff,

The side focus is a luxury if you're not actually performing tactical work or competing. It is worth it however in those cases as you do not have to change position/generate significant movement to change the parallax. The rear adjustable one would require breaking position and lowering the rifle to see the settings. I got the SF mainly because I hate breaking position when having already settled into my natural point of aim...

It really is a preference sort of thing in most cases. I prefer SF scopes, while others don't seem to mind the inconvienence of the rear adj parallax.

I have both 10x and 20x EB Snipers - I actually thought they were identical to the SS scopes, interesting to hear they are different.

Tiff, take a look at Silent's, if it suits drop me a PM as the 20x had been sitting in it's box for a year or so and if you are not averse to a used scope we could no doubt work someting out.

TC

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50. I know that's not the exact scope you'd be looking for but the optics are very good for the money. Even at night at 15x it's very clear when lamping.

Guest varmartin
I have both 10x and 20x EB Snipers - I actually thought they were identical to the SS scopes, interesting to hear they are different.

Tiff, take a look at Silent's, if it suits drop me a PM as the 20x had been sitting in it's box for a year or so and if you are not averse to a used scope we could no doubt work someting out.

TC

Tiff...I would bite an arm off here if i was after that type of scope...I have used Silents and his is every bit as good as the SWFA ( have seen them both and thought they were identical)..in a word...`Bombproof` or is that two ?

Archived