.19.223 Calhoun

Having had a loot a Coopers site over the last few weeks I have been toying with outing my 22.250 and replacing it with a Cooper. One option was a .17AH but the 19.223 looks like a much better option. Cooper do it as an off the shelf caliber. I know about case forming etc and can handle that along with the reloading etc.

One of the reviews I read this morning was shooting a group in the ones !. I know it wont do anything my PPC wont but it might be an interesting project.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/19cal_article2.php

Does anybody shoot one?, if so how does it perform in the wind and generally.

A

Alycidon the thing that puts me off about the 19 cal is you can only get the bullets direct from James Calhoon in the usa,which makes life rather hard for us. If you want a small cal round based on the 223 try the 20 tac.If you want to have a play with my 17AH or Lindseys 20tac you know you are more than welcome. 20 tac is a few months from being completed and 17AH will hopfully be back from proof within the next week :D

I hate to say it, even though it gets tremendous write ups in the States, your going to struggle to get components for it. Due to our silly laws on expanding ammunition and the States needing stupid export permits for everything.

Its a real shame.

.20 Tac looks good or if you fancy a Cooper .17Mach1V?

Cheers

Dave

Aly,

I new it would not be long before you would succumb to the lure of a cooper ;)

I am afraid that i have to agree with the others, the main dificulty being the bullets, being of hollow-point varmint design you would not be able to import them your self.

My choice for replacing a 22-250 would be a 22BR :D

Ian.

PS. Just as a matter of interest i have an article on the .19 Calhoun Hornet, i will scan it and mail it to you if you are interested.

My thoughts were toward Cooper specifically rather than the custom that most .20 would be. I have had a hold of Vermincinerators 6BR Cooper, a really nice rifle.

If we went for a .20. say .20 Vartag which is in the Cooper range then there are a few options, here is a thread showing some of them,

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.ph...light=20+vartag

But the down range performance/recoil etc is not that different from my 22.250, mind you accuracy should be better.

Now had a look at the Tactical .20,

http://www.varminter.com/particles/20tact.htm

Sample tested is not that accurate but it certainly gets a shift on and Cooper do it, be interesting to see what results you get from Callum but Cooper are warrenting in the .5s.

A

Yes please Ian unless it is the artical I posted on my first post.

20 vartag is a nice round from what i have read,Cooper also chamber for 20tac incase you missed it on their list.The Lapua Dakota 20Tac brass is fantastic too,even better than Lapuas 220 russian brass.

20tac brass

DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0187.jpg

From L-R 222rem 20tac and 222rem mag(what 204 ruger is based on)

DSCN0192.jpg

Archived