.22lr match chamber

stillair1

Hi chaps, and gunsmiths

My understanding of .22lr chambering length is that best accuracy will occur with the head of the bullet just touching the lands. I may well be wrong so don't shoot me. One of my rifles engages the bullet a few millimeters into the rifling, (eley as it happens) making closing the bolt a bit stiff.

Is it worth while getting the chamber reamed slightly or should I carry on regardless.

Thanks for you input as I know jack all about this.

Neil

I had a match chamber on a custom .22 LR semi and found it clagged up very easily with subbies, it was designed for Lapua Pistol Match a very clean grease free round but a solid point so not a lot of good for bunnies. I had a tiny step put into the chamber, works like a charm.

As regards length, some centerfire rifles work best up close some like a bit of a jump, no idea about rimmys though.

I would just shoot a few different brands and find one it likes best both in function and accuracy. What make and model is the rifle ?

A

As silent said.

A mate and I use to shoot a lot of rats and after 100 rounds of subs or so the same thing happened to my Brno.

A scrape out of the recesses and nooks and crannies and it returned to normal.

Also there may be shavings of lead knocking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a clean up the other day, only noticable clag was a bit of residue on one side of the bolt face. I will report back when it warms up a smidge. I may resort to another round if unresolved. It's not until you line several types up side by side that you notice the differing shapes and lengths. :)

After a test session today, both winchester and lapua cycled smoother, ie two finger on the bolt. The winchesters match the eleys for accuracy which is a first for me as I've never had much success with them in the past. :)Some new bullets to be ordered ;)

Archived