Stock bedding

Pat Allen

Hi all . A question for the smiths. When bedding a action should the bedding only include the action or the action and chamber ? I have a tapered barrel and currently the bedding is about 2 inches further up from the action and supporting the chamber ? 

I always allow up to an inch of material to support the barrel forward of the action face then machine back to make neat 

Rifles with heavier barrels benefit from this extra support 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I always allow up to an inch of material to support the barrel forward of the action face then machine back to make neat 

Rifles with heavier barrels benefit from this extra support 

I must admit, I never do this - that's the hottest bit of the barrel - leave a 'cooling' gap around it!  

You won't see a benchrest rifle so bedded.  I've built the last two 1000 yd record breaking benchguns - both with 30 inch heavy profile barrels - you don't need bedding forward of the action if you've done your action bedding properly.

Other reason - don't work with a switch barrel.

The actions used in F class and Benchrest are capable of hanging 30” parallel barrels without suffering strain on the action tenon area 

Most sporting actions need a little help with heavy barrels and to be honest are not heating sufficiently in repeated rapid fire.   

I have found a small pad helps with accuracy : stiffness in sporting applications 

It isn’t something I do with stiffer actions 

I’d take advice from your rifle Smith really 

Were I doing the work I’d have to assess the action / barrel and stock before making that decision